First Memory of Night and His Films

Author Topic: First Memory of Night and His Films  (Read 3467 times)

Mr_Glass.1

• Futuristic (After Earth)

• Email
First Memory of Night and His Films
« on: November 14, 2008, 01:03:31 PM »
Hey, I was thinking about this the other day and thought it would be interesting to find out what people's first memory of Night and his films were.  My actual first memory of Night, when I knew it was him was when I saw Signs, I borrowed it from my sister, who wasn't living at home at that time, and watched and went "wow, this is amazing, I need to see if he's done anything else.
The Sixth Sense-I just remember a big buzz about it and people talking about how it was better than the Blair Witch Project.
Unbreakable-I remember seeing a picture of it in a magazine and reading a review about it.
Signs-I went to see The Fellowship of the Ring and there was a preview for Signs in front of it-I thought it looked interesting.
The Village-I saw a preview for it in front of The Return of the King and wanted to see it.
Lady In The Water-I had found this site and found out about Lady In The Water as the info came out.
The Happening-Same as Lady In The Water.
I see the world Lucius Hunt, just not the way you see it.

Ivy Walker to Lucius Hunt in The Village

ALF

• The Village

• Email
Re: First Memory of Night and His Films
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2008, 04:31:39 AM »
Nice post Mr.Glass, I will tell you my first memories:

The 6th sense: All the people were talking about how scary it was, and that it could go to the Oscars (in Spain it arrived too late)
Unbreakable: I wasn't so surprised after watching the sixth sense (people had created too many expectatives about it) and had lost interest in Shyamalan. A teacher at the university told us about the film, about its messagge, and I was curious again.
Signs: after Unbreakable i was desidering a new film, and that poster with the big sign on the field is my first memory of the film, I went to the premierem, couldn`t wait.
the Village: the marketing industry sold us the film as an horror movie and I was waiting for it with expectation. My frinds at the university told me about how it was such a bad movie and I lost some interest. They were wrong, I love this film.
Lady in the water: I read ion a paper that the movie was coming soon and just needed that to be interested.
the Happening: I read about "El Incidente" in a spanish website and I began my visits to this site. You can remember that looking at the post "the incident", hahahaha 
Dame Nature moves in Strange Ways

Mr_Glass.1

• Email
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2008, 01:18:47 PM »
I remember that post, everyone was a little confused by it. lol.  :D

Lifeordeath1

• Email
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2008, 01:33:53 AM »
The first Mnight movie I ever saw was Signs, but when I saw The Village... I was blown away.  It was the first thing that got me interested in making films.  After that I saw all the rest and have been a big fan ever since!  YEAH!
"My biggest fear in life is to be average."
      M. Night Shyamalan

Mr_Glass.1

• Email
« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2008, 12:54:09 PM »
Yeah, The Village was amazing, just everything about it.

marco

• Personal Text
    "Look! A circle!" - "Yeah...what's the problem?"
« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2008, 09:10:59 PM »
First movie I've seen was The 6th Sense,but I didn't know Shyamalan.Then I missed Unbreakable,and after that I saw Signs...I think here I began to focus on who was the director.
"Welcome to The Cove"

G3xmeister

• Wide Awake

• Personal Text
    Villager.
    • Larsson & Nordahl
« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2009, 10:16:09 PM »
I remember renting Sixth Sense with my dad when I was 10 and being #@!*-scared seeing it. At that time, I didn't care about who directed the movies or who was in them (nowadays, as a big film-buff and aspiring filmmaker, I care a lot about that), so I didn't hear about this "Shamalama-guy" as my firend called him until he showed me Unbreakable on DVD. Since then, I've fbeen following everyting Night does with great interest.
"Everyone has secrets. Life would be boring without secrets, don't you think?"

Mr_Glass.1

• Email
« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2009, 02:28:34 PM »
It seems like Night's work brings together a lot of aspiring filmmakers.

ALF

• The Village

• Email
« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2009, 03:37:20 AM »
It seems like Night's work brings together a lot of aspiring filmmakers.

I think that's because he represents a realistic dream, he's for us an example to follow, an attainable dream, someone who shows us that doing a good job we can be there. I think Shyamalan push us to develope our ideas, to not give up and try to realize our dream. He's far from Steven Spielberg or Oliver Stone, he's a normal person who makes good movies, and that's something we can take as example.

Mr_Glass.1

• Email
« Reply #9 on: January 27, 2009, 01:43:51 PM »
Hmm, never thought about it that way.

Erik

• Personal Text
    d'oh!
« Reply #10 on: January 28, 2009, 12:29:39 PM »
I think that's because he represents a realistic dream, he's for us an example to follow, an attainable dream, someone who shows us that doing a good job we can be there. I think Shyamalan push us to develope our ideas, to not give up and try to realize our dream. He's far from Steven Spielberg or Oliver Stone, he's a normal person who makes good movies, and that's something we can take as example.
You're 100% right. Besides that, Night's dad wanted to see him becoming a doctor. Night didn't.
We can breath in space,
they just don't want us to escape...

ALF

• The Village

• Email
« Reply #11 on: January 29, 2009, 05:24:25 AM »
Yeah!
My father wanted me to become an economist, and instead I began working in a videoclub and i studied cinema  ;D

San Jose Shark

• The Sixth Sense

• SJSharks.com
« Reply #12 on: February 02, 2009, 11:56:58 PM »
Started with The Sixth Sense which blew me away in the theater, I was very interested in this guy after that and when Unbreakable came out i was there for it on opening day and have seen every one of his films since on opening day. Now that he's making Avatar this is the first time i really don't care about a film of his. It will make alot of money cause it's a kids film and personally i think he's doing this cause his past three films pretty much got bashed and he feels like he's got to make a big hit film. Honestly i hope it fails so he can go back to doing what he does best and thats not adapting a little kids cartoon and making a trilogy out of it with a Disney kid starring in it. Six years atleast of this is too much.
GO SHARKS!

Mr_Glass.1

• Email
« Reply #13 on: February 10, 2009, 01:55:24 PM »
I'm not as eagerly awaiting Avatar as I would his other films, but I still think it will be good for him, and I'm looking forward to it.