Character design

Author Topic: Character design  (Read 1725 times)

Decadent Sympozium

• Unbreakable

• Email
Character design
« on: November 19, 2008, 04:22:56 PM »
Greetings.

Yesterday, after spending week of plotting time, I started writing a professional screenplay. I always begin with outline of every element, so in these terms I have "my" plot, idea, symbolism, ending, start, middle, surprise elements, setting, discourse, conflicts, etc. However, one significant and most important part of this plot are characters, and I have a strange problem with that.

The whole movie is based on dialogues and discussions, they are number 1, but to have appropriate dialogues, I need appropriate characters. For your information, there are total of 13 characters, 6 leading and 7 supporting (but almost nothing less important for events). They are also meant to be of flesh and blood, regular (more or less) human each with their own life similar, but very different one to another; example given, from a wealthy lawyer to a beggar. I have mass collection of who says what, but to make it living and feeling, I need set of perhaps even stereotypical characters.

In normal conditions, I never ask anybody for any kind of help, specially when developing or creating something mine (because then I feel as if it isn't mine), but in this case, I need hints, and I need them because while thinking about characters in my head I constantly come up with some character that was already present in movies and pretty much abused (Eg. I'm thinking of big tough guy and remember Marv from Sin City and can't get my thoughts off him for next half an hour). I'm also scrolling through all of my roleplaying games and texts, stories and all, but the only thing I really need is a little boost, and I'll get that boost if I get a good hint for lively character. I have 5 of them, and they will fit well. Now I need 8 more.

The situation all of them are put in is pretty much stressful, and the location is pretty much usual, global, think train station for example, place where you can find anybody and all kind of men, not just one or the other type because all of them need exactly the same thing - a vehicle for moving from one point to the other; so what I need are various types of people. Example given, think of Man from Earth. They are all very much normal, but very much different, which allows dialogue flexibility.

The only thing I definitely won't put inside is the religion (as primary or controversial topic for bashing, although I always thought I will), and I definitely do not want a religious fanatic, freak or anything alike. Also, there won't be an idiot inside. There will be simple-minded people, or honest, or naive, but no obvious idiots, and nobody should be designed in way of common screamers (a character who doesn't do anything but screaming/crying and throwing people into problems with it, or for the purpose of making a pointless, unreal drama.)

So I ask just for a small, small help, in style of, dunno, for example:
"Maddox. Soldier of Vietnam, now a taxi driver. Black. Scar over his neck. Stopped smoking, has concentrating issues. Has no sense of humor, but if asked about, always finds a reason to show it shouldn't have been a humorous comment. Nature-lover, a philantrophist, gets very mad when people put children and sex into the same sentence. Narrow-minded but open for new theories."

I'll modify these people anyway. :)
« Last Edit: November 19, 2008, 05:00:06 PM by Decadent Sympozium »
Manoj Night Shyamalan is Charles Baudelaire of movie art. That is non-deniable. Baudelaire's value is non-deniable.

Elijah Price

• The Sixth Sense

Re: Character design
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2008, 01:22:23 AM »
Phillip Scotts.  Middle aged man who always dresses in a clean cut suit that never costs less than a few grand.  He looks like the business type... Always carrying a briefcase or typing on a laptop, however, 100% of his income comes from his inheritance.  No one needs to know.  Currently with his 4th wife, who's in it for the money; he's childless, and just fine with it.  They all say, "There goes Phil, nice guy, successful, and alot going for him in life."  Phil knows his life is a lie, and he knows he's unhappy, but he's still not doing anything about it.
Do you think you could beat up Bruce Lee?  I mean, if you knew karate?  What if he wasn't allowed to kick, and you were really mad at him?

Elijah Price

• The Sixth Sense

Re: Character design
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2008, 01:22:57 AM »
I dunno man...

Thought I'd give it a shot...

Lol.
Do you think you could beat up Bruce Lee?  I mean, if you knew karate?  What if he wasn't allowed to kick, and you were really mad at him?