M. Night T.V. Show

Author Topic: M. Night T.V. Show  (Read 3469 times)

Elijah Price

• The Sixth Sense

M. Night T.V. Show
« on: November 29, 2008, 04:42:54 PM »
I had this thought...

Do you think Shyamalan could pull off a T.V. show?  Like do you think he could come up with a good idea for a series, or direct it, or write some of it?

I'm not set on a "yes" or a "no" but I'd like to hear what you guys think.
Do you think you could beat up Bruce Lee?  I mean, if you knew karate?  What if he wasn't allowed to kick, and you were really mad at him?

Prince111

• The Village

• Email
Re: M. Night T.V. Show
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2008, 05:33:56 PM »
I had this thought...

Do you think Shyamalan could pull off a T.V. show?  Like do you think he could come up with a good idea for a series, or direct it, or write some of it?

I'm not set on a "yes" or a "no" but I'd like to hear what you guys think.

I think it would great for cable, but not network TV, because you can get away with more on cable channels than on network TV.   I think he should come up with the ideas and let other people write or have an all out colaboration where sometimes he writes, sometimes he directs, or produces...the only thing is that in order for M. Night's way of telling stories and filming to not oversaturate everything, it maybe should be two episodes per night once a week.  All genre's should be included, horror, drama, comedy, westerns, action/adventure etc.  It may not find an audience quickly, (these days it has to, to survive past a first season) but if the writings great and the stories are great, it'll find an audience.  This is just my first thought, I'm going to think on it a little more.   

Namaste

• Futuristic (After Earth)

• Personal Text
    The divine in me bows before the divine in you.
    • myspace
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2008, 12:14:46 AM »
I think shyamalan would do best doing sort of a Twilight Zone/Outer Limits kind of show. A different theme every week to try out some of his new ideas and short stories. He can make the settings comical or western or sci fi or whatever, but with a shyamalan flavor and a twist.
See the villain's larger eyes insinuating a just-off-normal perspective on how they see the world? I see signs Lucius Hunt; just not as you see dead people. I am so very happy we saw..each other, and no I will not tell you what color love is. Stop asking.

Elijah Price

• The Sixth Sense

« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2008, 01:12:56 AM »
I think shyamalan would do best doing sort of a Twilight Zone/Outer Limits kind of show. A different theme every week to try out some of his new ideas and short stories. He can make the settings comical or western or sci fi or whatever, but with a shyamalan flavor and a twist.

At first read, I thought this was brilliant.  Here's the only problem...  Do you really think you could watch a 30 minute Shyamalan film every week?  Okay let me rephrase.  Like I think in the short ammount of time that he has, he would try to make it way over the top melodramatic...  I feel like he would want to fit SO MUCH into the story that we never get a chance to fall in love with the characters or anything.  Like he's shoving a feature down our throats in 30 minutes, or even 50 minutes.

These are some good ideas and I agree with what you said, Namaste.  I also agree with what you said, Prince.  If Night did a T.V. show, I don't think it would find an audience quickly, except for the hardcore fans who would watch it just cuz Night did it... like me.  Lol.

But another part of me thinks that a T.V. series would be a good time for Night to step out of his box, so to speak.  Maybe try an adventure, or maybe even a comedy.  Maybe it would be like an experimental for him.  But I like where these ideas are headed...
Do you think you could beat up Bruce Lee?  I mean, if you knew karate?  What if he wasn't allowed to kick, and you were really mad at him?

Namaste

• Personal Text
    • myspace
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2008, 07:34:58 AM »
it might be good practice for him to do some more to-the-point characterization and scene setting. I think he could do a 30-minute story..i mean he makes stuff up to tell his kids, and he could do something like that.
See the villain's larger eyes insinuating a just-off-normal perspective on how they see the world? I see signs Lucius Hunt; just not as you see dead people. I am so very happy we saw..each other, and no I will not tell you what color love is. Stop asking.

Elijah Price

• The Sixth Sense

« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2008, 01:48:29 PM »
I've heard that people in love with character enter the television industry, and people in love with story enter the film industry.

I believe (and I'm sure others would agree) that Shyamalan focuses his films more around character than story.  So maybe he would surprise us all with the whole T.V. thing.

Cleveland Heep

• LITW

« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2008, 03:54:08 PM »
I've heard that people in love with character enter the television industry, and people in love with story enter the film industry.

That's a very interesting point, Elijah Price. I wonder where you heard that from.

Elijah Price

• The Sixth Sense

« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2008, 08:54:09 PM »
Shyamalan should try a comedy... lol.

Namaste

• Personal Text
    • myspace
« Reply #8 on: December 03, 2008, 09:49:01 PM »
Shyamalan should try a comedy... lol.

he's had some decent comedy in his films...i think Gibson and Phoenix had good chemistry tho in Signs that made Signs comedy the best. there's always one great comedic line in all the movies tho, like:

"do you think you could beat up bruce lee? I mean, if you knew karate. What if he wasnt allowed to kick and you were reeeally mad at him?"

"I'm talking to a plant...I'm talking to a plastic plant...I'm still doing it"

"I love you, I love you like the day is long. I love you more than the sun and the moon together. We shouldnt hide our love anymore, and if you feel the same way you should shout it out; i love you i love you i love you!" (or something like that)

Lifeordeath1

• Email
« Reply #9 on: December 04, 2008, 01:31:21 AM »
Hey Cleeland Heep!  I LOVE YOUR PICTURE!  Did you make it?

As for as the tv series goes, I dont think it would work out for him, I just dont think he is made for tv; his ideas are to big for a mini series.

I could see it ending up like the show "Fringe."  That first show was great, the second was ok, and has really gone down hill from there.  The acting is pathetic, their lines really suck.  My favorite part, (although I dont watch it anymore) is the titles in mid air.  Those are awesome!
"My biggest fear in life is to be average."
      M. Night Shyamalan

Namaste

• Personal Text
    • myspace
« Reply #10 on: December 04, 2008, 02:30:56 AM »
Yeah fringe got old real fast. It was so hyped up too...I don't even watch it anymore either..i watch frontline on PBS instead. If shyamalan does make a tv series, he's GOTTA put some realism into it. IMO the best writer on TV right now is the guy who does prison break. Maybe they could get him to write and Night to direct..that would be awesome.

Elijah Price

• The Sixth Sense

« Reply #11 on: December 05, 2008, 07:46:27 PM »
Shyamalan would be really good at directing something that he didn't write.  He is a great visionary and he has (although it's not present in The Happening) directed actors really well in the past.  I'd be very curious to see someone else's ideas portrayed through Shyamalan's visual brilliance.  It might be some good chemistry.  And a T.V. show would be a perfect type of thing for him to practice that on.