Original Ending/

Author Topic: Original Ending/  (Read 18532 times)

okokokok

• LITW

Original Ending/
« Reply #15 on: July 31, 2006, 12:00:05 AM »
 I dont really get why he would do that ending.  What would be the point I wonder?  Though I did hear, I think it was in that NPR interview, him talking about how he didn't really have a role to play with all those "white people" inside the village, so it's all kinda interesting.  

Disastermind

• The Sixth Sense

Original Ending/
« Reply #16 on: July 31, 2006, 08:52:50 AM »
 I have never heard of anything like that
ww.freewebs.com/hacproductions

afi_village

• LITW

Original Ending/
« Reply #17 on: September 17, 2006, 12:18:53 AM »
the whole m night not playing a role inside the village makes sense, not for racist reasons or anything like that, but just because when people first watch the film the village has to be like a realistic historical place.  

my sister thought something was up because there was too much metal in the village, imagine if an indian guy showed up...it would be like giving away the secret you know?

on the other hand i did read an analysis someone did of the movie where they totally broke it down to a film about race, but i totally disagreed with it.
OH MY GOD...i was at a placebo concert last night and i was second row standing right in front of brian...then i got steve's drumstick!  HELL YEAH!!!

filmguy450

• Praying with Anger

• Email
Hated It
« Reply #18 on: March 20, 2007, 10:33:53 PM »
Is it just me, or did anyone else HATE this ending in the script (not the one in the movie, that one is perfect)? It just seems like he was writing it so quickly he wasn't sure how to actually finish it. I didn't think the gas tax thing was funny, and the use of the F-word wasn't necessary (and to be fair, I do believe it is sometimes). I am so extremely happy that he changed the ending to what it is now.
hat good is it to tell you you are in my every thought from the time I wake?

Reflection

• Unbreakable

Re: Original Ending/
« Reply #19 on: September 14, 2007, 11:53:08 PM »
White man's disease sounded too sissy!! ::)

Does anyone mention that the ending is the breaking of societal monsters put in place by our peers, deeling with fears, of the outside world and the only way to break free is to break the rules by using quite "foul" language as a symbol, something "it's" not used to dealing with or using??

Humm??

Namaste

• Futuristic (After Earth)

• Personal Text
    The divine in me bows before the divine in you.
    • myspace
« Reply #20 on: June 18, 2008, 01:11:00 AM »
Personally, I think he should have included the "pipes" scene in the original film (and yes i did see his comments on why he did not include it) He could have found a way to work it in.
See the villain's larger eyes insinuating a just-off-normal perspective on how they see the world? I see signs Lucius Hunt; just not as you see dead people. I am so very happy we saw..each other, and no I will not tell you what color love is. Stop asking.

Erik

• Personal Text
    d'oh!
« Reply #21 on: October 22, 2009, 04:13:56 AM »
I was just searching on the net for scripts when I found the script for 'The Woods' with the truck driver ending. I love that ending, it's much more open, more mystery!

It would have raised much more questions to the story than The Village does now. There are only two questions left right now: will Lucious make it? and will the Ranger even enter the woods to find what's inside of it? While the orignal ending would have made you ask the question 'Oh, what did I just see?', just like it did with The Sixth Sense and Unbreakable.

Only thing I dislike about the script is the first scene where the gravestone actually reads "Died October 3, 1897". Is that in the movie too? Because I wouldn't have showned it, this is a direct lie 'cause it's not 1897, it's 2004. I mean, everything in the movie makes the viewer believe the things are different than they are, but M. Night never lied.
We can breath in space,
they just don't want us to escape...

Sanford

• The Avatar

• Black Lightning
    • Email
« Reply #22 on: October 22, 2009, 05:45:47 PM »
Personally I think the original ending would've been a little better received by audiences and fit with the theme of the movie more-- deception. I really like the original ending better I think. I think the new one is fine, but the original left a lot more mystery to the film and that's what it was really all about. I wish I could at least see it.

Namaste

• Personal Text
    • myspace
« Reply #23 on: October 26, 2009, 08:54:16 PM »
I was just searching on the net for scripts when I found the script for 'The Woods' with the truck driver ending. I love that ending, it's much more open, more mystery!

It would have raised much more questions to the story than The Village does now. There are only two questions left right now: will Lucious make it? and will the Ranger even enter the woods to find what's inside of it? While the orignal ending would have made you ask the question 'Oh, what did I just see?', just like it did with The Sixth Sense and Unbreakable.

Only thing I dislike about the script is the first scene where the gravestone actually reads "Died October 3, 1897". Is that in the movie too? Because I wouldn't have showned it, this is a direct lie 'cause it's not 1897, it's 2004. I mean, everything in the movie makes the viewer believe the things are different than they are, but M. Night never lied.

The grave stone would not have been carved by M Night. The characters (except the elders) probably actually believed it was 1897.
See the villain's larger eyes insinuating a just-off-normal perspective on how they see the world? I see signs Lucius Hunt; just not as you see dead people. I am so very happy we saw..each other, and no I will not tell you what color love is. Stop asking.

Erik

• Personal Text
    d'oh!
« Reply #24 on: October 27, 2009, 02:07:24 AM »
Watched the movie again last weekend, the date is in fact on the stone. I think that's a shame, I mean even if the characters believed it was 1897, I don't see the point. Except for that stone, noone has any sense of time/date in The Village.
Again, I would leave the date out. I mean, the elders abandonned relegion when they sattled in the valley, but they did take over time? That's the last thing I would care about if I could go start somewhere else...
We can breath in space,

Namaste

• Personal Text
    • myspace
« Reply #25 on: October 29, 2009, 11:48:29 PM »
Well I suppose they didn't want to write their own history books, and would need something to teach history in the class. They would be asking too many questions if their books stopped at the 1800s, but they thought it was 1997. At least there was no narrative "1897" on the screen at the beginning.
That's a good point about abandoning religion. It's not likely an 1897 village would have no church. August Nicholson seemed like sort of a priestly character to me, but I may just be imagining that cuz i can't find anything about it online.

Erik

• Personal Text
    d'oh!
« Reply #26 on: October 30, 2009, 06:21:52 AM »
Well, he may look like a priest (I did not see that in him), but there are no religious signs in The Village. Not even a small cross.
The only thing is that Mr. Walker twice says grace 'We are thankfull for the time been given', but then again the grace is not really religious.

(By the way, was I the only one who noticed this?)
We can breath in space,

Mr_Glass.1

• Email
« Reply #27 on: November 03, 2009, 05:35:01 PM »
The original ending may be more mysterious but the ending that was shown exposed how much the elders were willing to continue with their deception.
I see the world Lucius Hunt, just not the way you see it.

Ivy Walker to Lucius Hunt in The Village