Airbender's Cast

Author Topic: Airbender's Cast  (Read 29945 times)

Prince111

• The Village

• Email
Airbender's Cast
« on: December 10, 2008, 11:14:56 AM »

Source: Entertainment Weekly December 10, 2008

Entertainment Weekly is reporting that writer/director M. Night Shyamalan has found his cast for The Last Airbender:

After an open casting call in Texas, Shyamalan discovered karate star Noah Ringer and offered him the part of Airbender's 12-year old hero, Aang, an Avatar with superpowers who must stop the Fire Nation from destroying the world. Twilight's Jackson Rathbone has been asked to play Aang's pal Sokka, while Nicola Peltz (Deck the Halls) will star as his sister Katara. Genial singer Jesse McCartney, meanwhile, is negotiating to play against type in the role of the Fire Nation's evil prince Zuko.

Paramount will release the big screen version of the Nickelodeon series on July 2, 2010.

This sounds pretty cool!  I'm stocked!

aural

• Wide Awake

• Email
Re: Airbender's Cast
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2008, 11:24:52 AM »
NOOO!!! they dont look anything like the characters, just look at them!!!!! katara as a blonde pale little girl?
zuko blonde and caucasian? who will be toph, paris hilton? I just hope that all this is just a rumor, but if they announce THIS cast as real (the team of the film) I doubt I will see the movie...

Dr Malcolm Crowe

• Global Moderator
  • Futuristic (After Earth)

• http://www.teddyblass.com
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2008, 12:22:59 PM »
o wow. interesting. i am worried about the idea of jesse mccartney as zuko.

Alana1991

« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2008, 12:23:45 PM »
lol same here...
I posted my resonse in a different thread. earlier today :-X

I just hope they do good and prove us wrong.

dajanerz

• Unbreakable

« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2008, 01:17:27 PM »
hmmm... not being biased, but i am disappointed.  i thought m.night was a fan and i wonder if brian and michael had any say...

a "karate" star?? ok....

Alana1991

« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2008, 01:52:44 PM »
You're not Biased, we all the feel the same way. :( Sorry Perris didn't get in, I don't know what they were thinking. I don't think Mike and Brian had much of a say, and if they did, I'd be a bit shocked they agreed to use people like Jesse McCartney to play the most emo cartoon character ever made.  ???

Whats next, the setting is actually in LA and the story has been changed to a gang war? :o

Oh, and back to Jesse, can you picture him when Zuko grows out his hair? He'll look like Emo Spiderman.lol.

Sorry if I'm coming across as petty, I'm still in shock.

rizzol0219

• Wide Awake

« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2008, 01:56:10 PM »
It makes perfect sense for the casting. I was totally disappointed in the Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon or Flying Daggers or Curse of the Golden Flower being played by and asian cast. Come on! Whatever!

dajanerz

• Unbreakable

« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2008, 02:13:28 PM »
rizzol0219,  you're funny.
 ;D

Alana1991:  Perris is cool.  He's been keeping himself busy anyways.  Thanks again for yours and everyones well wishes. 

I just can't picture some of these actors/actresses walking around an "asian inspired" nation with "asian inspired" clothing, reading Wanted Posters in asian writing...  Oh wait - they'll probably make them look like Western Wanted posters and write them in English...

Anyone see Forbidden Kingdom... flop - cuz of the white kid... he was awkward.

Didn't Aang have black hair when he grew it out in book 3?  hello... come to think of it...don't they all have dark/black hair? 

Doesn't sound like The Last Airbender already....

Dr Malcolm Crowe

• Global Moderator
  • Futuristic (After Earth)

• http://www.teddyblass.com
« Reply #8 on: December 10, 2008, 02:27:53 PM »

To be fair, Forbidden Kingdom flopped because it wasn't any good - not because a white kid was in it.

Jet Li and Chan were just as bad in that movie, imo, as that kid.

aural

• Wide Awake

• Email
« Reply #9 on: December 10, 2008, 02:47:49 PM »
First of all, it?s the true casting? we have heard many rumors who were written in very reliable sources, like IMB and web pages, and they were false.
But if this is the real casting, I dont know why they made all this auditions, because the actors are profesionals with experience, except for "aang" and we don?t know him yet! And, come on, walking on a comercial centre you can find better kataras around you!!and why if the girls in the forum who auditioned as katara said that all actress were tan, they had to choose one of the most pale girl I?ve seen for being an "inuit"? And Jesse McCartney as zuko!!! I?m praying for that all this is just a fake rumor...
« Last Edit: December 10, 2008, 02:50:09 PM by aural »

Alana1991

« Reply #10 on: December 10, 2008, 02:56:04 PM »
I thought Forbidden Kingdom was okay. lmao. XD

LOL rizzol0219. XD

Alana1991:  Perris is cool.  He's been keeping himself busy anyways.  Thanks again for yours and everyones well wishes. 

I just can't picture some of these actors/actresses walking around an "asian inspired" nation with "asian inspired" clothing, reading Wanted Posters in asian writing...  Oh wait - they'll probably make them look like Western Wanted posters and write them in English...

Good to hear he's doing okay. :)

I just don't think the cast is very good, mainly for the fact they look nothing like the characters, and if they have any resemblance, it's something small...like the girl has blue eyes, Katara has blue eyes...Voila! We have are Katara! That's the impression I get here. -_- 

I really thought Sokka and Katara would either be played by Hispanics, Native Americans, or Asians.  If they were to choose a Caucasian they should have used someone with a darker complexion like someone with ethnicity from the Mediteranian area. Or even someone mixed, just someone who actually was tanner and looked like them.  Makes you wonder what the Water tribe is going to look like. -_-

And no way in a thousand years would I have thought Jesse McCartney would be Zuko...what a random pick. I'm really sorry for everyone with who they picked here. A lot of you guys really should have been casted. 

And they probably will write the posters in English in spite of the Alternate universe Avatar is set in for the reason being it's an American movie; I also think they should be loyal to the show and stick with the Asian Writing. 

First of all, it?s the true casting? we have heard many rumors who were written in very reliable sources, like IMB and web pages, and they were false.
But if this is the real casting, I dont know why they made all this auditions, because the actors are profesionals with experience, except for "aang" and we don?t know him yet! And, come on, walking on a comercial centre you can find better kataras around you!!and why if the girls in the forum who auditioned as katara said that all actress were tan, they had to choose one of the most pale girl I?ve seen for being an "inuit"? And Jesse McCartney as zuko!!! I?m praying for that all this is just a fake rumor...

Yeah, I'm praying it's a rumor too, this is like some bad joke. :( It's really dissapointing, they have a great crew but a weak cast that will cause the movie to flop.  :(  (nothing personal to the actors, they just shouldn't be doing avatar. )

It almost reminds me of the Ember Island Players episode. -_-
« Last Edit: December 10, 2008, 03:06:10 PM by Alana1991 »

dar_katar

• The Happening

• Email
« Reply #11 on: December 10, 2008, 03:08:52 PM »
Oh my good golly gosh! ....Really? :o

Well, lucky them!  ;)

I actually don't know what to say anyway right now...I don't want to be negative about it.  :)
My web to the site yo

http://dtahroamas.deviantart.com/

Alana1991

« Reply #12 on: December 10, 2008, 03:14:56 PM »
lol I agree. XDI LOVE Jackie Chan, he's too awesome; I even watchd his cartoon show.lol.

Yeah, I don't like how they did casting, but I still hope they can pull it off, the crew IS good. I'm just really nervous as of now. It isn't a good start from the looks of it. But, you're right, we should keep an open mind here, in spite of this. :(

• Signs

« Reply #13 on: December 10, 2008, 03:20:09 PM »
I am a huge supporter of the show, and I rarely say anything negative in regards to the production...but that is changing right now.

I am very disappointed by the choice of talent for The Last Airbender. Disappointed and confused...

I am hoping beyond hope that this is a hoax, or misinformation. I keep asking myself over and over again, "Were there simply NO talented Asian, or Asian looking actors that wanted these parts?"

I am dying to get a look at Noah Ringer, and I hope they release a photo of him soon. I do not think that ANY of these actors look like the characters they will play. I know that it is near impossible to find actors that resemble characters based in animation, but at least try to get it close.

I hope this movie blows my mind and  makes me eat my words, but until then, I am truly disappointed with the direction I see it going in so far :(

aural

• Wide Awake

• Email
« Reply #14 on: December 10, 2008, 03:23:47 PM »
no one can call them or something like that? or an e-mail for knowing if this is true? I think that the worst part of the cast is that all the etnicies represented in avatar aren?t in the movie, all the SUPPOSED actors are the typical stereotype of a caucasian, personally, I think that this is a big betrayal not only for avatar fans, also for lot of mnight fans because he had an opportunity for making a variated movie with asians, latins, caucasians, even black people with lots of cultural references if he wanted, and well...