Vanilla Sky

Author Topic: Vanilla Sky  (Read 3301 times)

Namaste

• Futuristic (After Earth)

• Personal Text
    The divine in me bows before the divine in you.
    • myspace
Vanilla Sky
« on: December 13, 2008, 05:32:58 AM »
Tom Cruise, Penelope Cruz, Cameron Diaz; Directed by Cameron Crowe (do u like all the shared names? there is a lot of alliteration in the names of the major characters as well..kind of like The Happening)
Very interesting film to say the least. It's a trippy mind-bending type of story that I like ;D  makes you think, and doesnt disappoint you with some cheesy cop-out ending. There is a lot to think about, intellectually as well as philosophically. The weakest point is how they try to make you sympathize with a jerk who never really redeems himself. I'll have to ponder this movie when I get some time, and I'll watch it at least once more (lot of easter egg type things in it..if I caught as many as I did the first time through, then there must be some I missed) I know it never got very famous (although was nominated for an oscar), but I would say this is a movie you SHOULD see. I doubt it will change your life, but hey, "every passing minute is another chance to turn it all around"

Here's a summary from IMDB:
David Aames, a tycoon's son who, in the eyes of many, is a spoiled child who has no realization of his wealth good looks or luck. Inhereting his fathers company after both parents were killed in a road accident some years prior, David meets a girl whom his friend brings to a lavish house party one night and instantly falls in love with her. Desperate to find out more about this mystery girl, he gets chatting to her, unfortunately a jilted lover is watching David at all times and plans her final plot. After surviving a car crash courtesy of his 'jilted lover' and having his face reconstructed, David struggles to find out the truth when his dreams turn into reality, and what he thinks is reality, turns into nightmares. He knows he wants the Mystery girl he met at the party that night, but where is she? who is she? Everything seems muddled slightly, until a doctor manages to repair his face, and life is back to the way it should be, together with his mystery girl, or is it? Questions need to be answered, but who is to be asked and who has the answers?
« Last Edit: December 13, 2008, 05:35:42 AM by Namaste »
See the villain's larger eyes insinuating a just-off-normal perspective on how they see the world? I see signs Lucius Hunt; just not as you see dead people. I am so very happy we saw..each other, and no I will not tell you what color love is. Stop asking.

Mr_Glass.1

• Email
Re: Vanilla Sky
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2008, 01:29:24 PM »
I saw that movie a while ago, I liked it, though I don't remember too much about it, except the end.
I see the world Lucius Hunt, just not the way you see it.

Ivy Walker to Lucius Hunt in The Village

Namaste

• Personal Text
    • myspace
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2008, 11:46:53 PM »
i remember penelope cruz  :o omg
See the villain's larger eyes insinuating a just-off-normal perspective on how they see the world? I see signs Lucius Hunt; just not as you see dead people. I am so very happy we saw..each other, and no I will not tell you what color love is. Stop asking.

GothMan

• The Happening

• Personal Text
    You should close your eyes to see the Truth.
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2008, 05:32:20 AM »
I suggest you to watch the original movie called Abre los ojos, that's way much better!  8)

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0125659/
"A common misperception of me is... That all my movies have twist endings, or that they're all scary. All my movies are spiritual and all have an emotional perspective." (M. Night Shyamalan)

Namaste

• Personal Text
    • myspace
« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2008, 08:34:27 AM »
cool, i'll have to check it out.

Mr_Glass.1

• Email
« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2008, 01:34:39 PM »
I also think Tom Cruise is a very good actor.

Namaste

• Personal Text
    • myspace
« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2008, 10:08:53 PM »
Yeah, he's pretty good. One thing that gets on my nerves though, is the obsession over his reaction shots, especially in vanilla sky (but also in other movies) where they don't show you what's happening and just let you read it all in his face. I mean, he does pretty well at painting a picture using only his face, but when you start to notice it, it's too much. Mel Gibson is another one they do that with.

Mr_Glass.1

• Email
« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2008, 01:18:57 PM »
Agreed, one great example of a reaction shot is in X-Men The Last Stand, when the Phoenix comes out of the water and knocks Cyclops off his feet, and then all you see is the light growing and reflecting off his face and his reaction to what he's seeing.

shadowbender

« Reply #8 on: December 22, 2008, 03:05:11 PM »
Tom Cruise is annoying with his Scientology. Have you seen him spoofed in "Superhero Movie"? Hilarious. You can find it on YouTube.

Namaste

• Personal Text
    • myspace
« Reply #9 on: December 22, 2008, 05:59:46 PM »
yes TC is annoying IRL, and frequently so in movies as well, but you have to admit he's a good actor.

Mr_Glass.1

• Email
« Reply #10 on: December 23, 2008, 01:47:41 PM »
^Took the words right out of my mouth.