"Aang aint white". Saving the world with postage.

Author Topic: "Aang aint white". Saving the world with postage.  (Read 19562 times)

Alana1991

Re: "Aang aint white". Saving the world with postage.
« Reply #15 on: December 15, 2008, 10:23:09 AM »
I feel short.lol. Be happy you're tall. ;D

Leggy

• Futuristic (After Earth)

• Personal Text
    Appa! Yip! Yip!
« Reply #16 on: December 15, 2008, 10:33:25 AM »
Yeah but its weird since its just me and my dad that are short. Everyone else is short lol

Alana1991

« Reply #17 on: December 15, 2008, 10:44:24 AM »
hahaha. XD

• Personal Text
    She was protecting the last waterbender... ME!!
    • Email
« Reply #18 on: December 17, 2008, 08:03:20 PM »
umm.
im not trying to burst anyones bubble but..
AANG IS WHITE.
hes not asain looking, he doesnt even LOOK dark like Sokka or Katara.
i dont know if they want a dark Aang or something, or if they want an asain Aang, but in the TV show... Avatar:The Last Airbender... Aang is white. hes not dark like the Water tribe. He's not as pale as the Fire Nation. but he is definitely white.

or Caucasian, since that doesnt sound so racial.
but im white so it doesnt sound racial to me. :/

Alana1991

« Reply #19 on: December 17, 2008, 09:17:40 PM »
I think Aang could either be played by an Asian or a Caucasian...either one...Heck, even a White-Hispanic.  :P As long as Aang looks like the character I don't really care about the ethnicity. Unless they only asked for a certian ethnicity and chose someone who wasn't even from that backround, then we could say there is a big problem and it was unfair.  :-\

Namaste

• Personal Text
    The divine in me bows before the divine in you.
    • myspace
« Reply #20 on: December 17, 2008, 10:31:00 PM »
Lol my dad is 6'5 I believe.
:o

speaking of postage..i helped double stamp 70 packets and single-stamp 86 letters tody  ::)
See the villain's larger eyes insinuating a just-off-normal perspective on how they see the world? I see signs Lucius Hunt; just not as you see dead people. I am so very happy we saw..each other, and no I will not tell you what color love is. Stop asking.

rizzol0219

• Wide Awake

« Reply #21 on: December 18, 2008, 12:43:45 AM »
So are the characters from Three Delivery Caucasian?

http://nicktoonsnetwork.nick.com/shows/threedelivery/

What would make you think a cartoon has asian casts anyways? The three main characters names are Sue, Tobey, and Sid. Highly slanted eyes? Maybe something more like Samurai Jack? Although his skin color is white in nature? They work in a chinese restaurant maybe that would be it? But wait they are wearing regular clothes. There is magic in the cartoon to. Coming from ancient asian recipes.

In my opinion looking at the character alone without regards to the story's setting/environment in consideration might be a mistake. Especially when dealing with animation. A lot of animation particulary those created in Japan have characters that look causasian but have Japanese names.

If Avatar was a set of three books and a cartoon was never made, in what world would you think it was placed? Somewhere in a european medievil setting with knights and wizards and dragons? What kind of scenery do you think the book will take you to? Forget what you know about the cartoon if you can. What do you think the people would look like when compared to how the book would describe the scenery, architecture, clothing, culture, food, customs, eating utensils, writing, and philosphy?

Regardless of the fiction/fantasy genre. Fantasy characters usually take on the influences from which they were inspired. For instance if I make up a story european in nature and I say key words like knight, wizard or dwarf, dragon, swords, king, village, food, castle, etc. We usually draw up in our minds what the characters might look like and would fullfill that environment. Now that is only on a sub genre of fantasy. It would probably split into different if we were talking about an alien world, monsters, a world under the ocean as examples. In my opinion avatar would be in a group fiction/fantasy/asian/otherworldly or something like that.

Now... with that in mind... Let's use a fantasy type story based on a period type piece. Let's use Shrek for instance, just to be funny... To many people try to use the Lord of the Rings as an argument, but it would work there as well. Imagine if you will the characters were another culture but caucasian. But keep everything else the same like scenery, architecture, clothing, culture, food, customs, eating utensils. Would it throw you off a bit? Would it make sense to you? Why or why not?

Now let's change it up a bit. I hope other people have seen these movies like Hero, Flying Daggers, Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon, The Banquet, and the Curse of the Golden Flower. (now don't tell me these are not fantasy) Let's remake these movies with any other ethicity other that asian/pacific islander like. Would it throw you off a bit? Would it look right? Would it make sense to you? Why or why not?

I would be thrown off for both scenarios. Shoot I was thrown off when the casting Ziyi Zhang and Michelle Yeoh who are chinese in Memoirs of a Geisha. Because the characters in the story are Japanese. Not that it wasn't a good movie I just thought why couldn't they get a good Japanese actress? Probably cause they don't have straight teeth? (Some of you might know what I'm talking about)

Well that is my 2 cents take what you will....

I don't think I could put it in better words...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9y_c4e2p4Nw

http://aang-aint-white.livejournal.com/1007.html#cutid1

Namaste

• Personal Text
    • myspace
« Reply #22 on: December 18, 2008, 02:51:21 AM »
rizzol, that would be a compelling argument except for the fact that we DO already know the original vision the creators had in their head when they made avatar, because they've already made a visual version in the cartoon.
See the villain's larger eyes insinuating a just-off-normal perspective on how they see the world? I see signs Lucius Hunt; just not as you see dead people. I am so very happy we saw..each other, and no I will not tell you what color love is. Stop asking.

rizzol0219

• Wide Awake

« Reply #23 on: December 18, 2008, 03:32:20 AM »
rizzol, that would be a compelling argument except for the fact that we DO already know the original vision the creators had in their head when they made avatar, because they've already made a visual version in the cartoon.

Yes unfortunately I should have mentioned that in quotes that it would be difficult to imagine due simply because the cartoon does exists. I simply ask for folks to look or think about it at different angles. Not simply blurting things out without an example or explanation as to why that person made a statement or if they did have an example it was something off the wall weird "at least in my eyes". For example a see a few statements like Aaang is white because in the cartoon he looks white. For myself I would have to argue that because to me I see the overall world being asian themed and thus think all the characters are of somekind of asian influence. Mostly Chinese. 

There is a lot of Anime out there where Japanes characters may look caucasian but in the story they are known to be Japanese. A couple examples of the more popular ones are Naruto and Bleach.

Here is a good link to look at http://www.matt-thorn.com/mangagaku/faceoftheother.html

I'm just glad they are not making a live action movie of those Anime from an American Studio. Ethnicity in these types of animiation are overlooked  or not a problem in anime, manga or even CG. Or at least for me that is. I hear Ghost in the Shell is going to be though, I think Steven Speilberg directing it. Now I will most definetly go see that one. Note Ghost is the Shell should not be categorized in the same boat as Avatar, in my opinion. That would be like comparing Blade Runner to Flying Daggers.

Note I am not and advocate for the current casted actors that were announced. I simply want to explain with actual arguments and examples why Airbender should be casted with the enthnicities from which it was inspired. Although difficult to find the right cast it may be, maybe it would be best to not even pursue a live action movie. What was wrong with the cartoon?

What was wrong with the original The Ring, Pulse, Old Boy? I'm sure there are more and there are probably better examples out there but I'm tired and want to go to bed. Truthfully I know the answer. I am curious though as to why Flying Daggers or Hero or even Crouching Tiger Hidden dragon wasn't redone for American audiences?

Let me know if I am unclear and need clarification on my thoughts. Am I going on a tangent? gnite!

Namaste

• Personal Text
    • myspace
« Reply #24 on: December 18, 2008, 01:25:10 PM »
Maybe movies like the Ring were originally done for asian audiences, and Crouching tiger/hero/flyin daggers were made with american audiences in mind..I mean..Jet Li..COME ON. Now don't get me wrong..there was a lot that was directed to asians (as in people living actually in china, etc) but they included elements that we westerners like to see as well. There's also the element of who had the most money to spend. The original Ringu wasnt nearly as a big of a budget as The Ring. Crouching Tiger, however, was tens of millions of dollars in the making.

Dr Malcolm Crowe

• Global Moderator

• http://www.teddyblass.com
« Reply #25 on: December 18, 2008, 01:47:47 PM »
And movies like The Ring have a much wider appeal to American audiences than films like House of Flying Daggers do.

People remake movies all of the time, why so surprised? Why the conspiracy theory like questions? People remake American movies, and Spanish movies, and Asian movies. I think some people are looking so hard to find evil reasons behind things that they are missing the obvious.

Let the Right One In is a Swedish film currently being remade for American audiences. Is it because American audiences don't want to see white skin, blonde hair, blue eyed actors? Or is it because as it stands it doesn't appeal to American audiences as much as it could, and it has nothing to do with race?

I think the answer is obvious. I would say the same exact thing goes for The Ring.
« Last Edit: December 18, 2008, 01:50:40 PM by Dr Malcom Crowe »

Alana1991

« Reply #26 on: December 18, 2008, 02:57:24 PM »
I'm with Dr. Malcom here.

I think at this point things are going a bit too far, you don't have to agree with the cast, but this is getting a bit ridiculous. -_- No offense, I'm not being rude, but for the past weekl(?) this has all jumped from being concerned to bad sportsmanship and it really needs to stop.

albert renshaw

• The Happening

• Email
« Reply #27 on: December 18, 2008, 04:12:37 PM »
sry guys but there not gonna switch the cast because of a couple of hundred complaints.... lol

• Personal Text
    She was protecting the last waterbender... ME!!
    • Email
« Reply #28 on: December 18, 2008, 07:09:35 PM »
i agree with albert.
:/
and yes, the show was Asian INFLUENCED, but that does not mean that ALL the characters have to be Asian. not all of them have to be Caucasian. not all of them have to be the same race.

wich brings me to another point.
rizzol, we dont live in a world of ALL the same races.
and therefor i dont think this movie will have ALL the same races. they are not going to have all Asian people in this movie no matter how bad you want it or think it should be. its not.
i dont want to get mean about this so ill stop there. lol

but seriously. the show is Asian influenced but how many of the characters actually look Asian? Chong Chong (i doubt i spelled that right. but its Aangs first firebending teacher.) definitely looks Asian. if they dont cast an Asian actor for that, i will be upset because you can tell he is Asian. (i dont mean to offend anyone if this sounds racial.) but, im still going with what i said at first. AANG IS WHITE. so i totally disagree with that title of the site called aang aint white.

i think Mike and Bryan could draw a difference in characters if they wanted them to be Asian. obviously, they did that with a few characters, Aangs first firebending teacher for instance, and they drew in the characters the way THEY wanted them to be and how THEY wanted them to look. for the characters they wanted to be Asian, they drew Asian. for the characters they wanted a different race, they drew them as a different race.

and just to restate a very good point that was said earlier, im not quite sure by who tho, my apologies, we dont even know what the karate star looks like! he could be Asian for all you know! but then again, he could be Cuacasion. we dont know yet. we have to wait for a sneak peek. :]]

but until then, i think we should just deal with the fact that the casting director picked who they thought were the best. and if the cast is all white then that should be fine! apparently those white people who auditioned for those parts were better than the others who auditioned for them. and they just happened to be white. big deal. as least we GET a movie!! cant you just be happy with that?! i am!  ;D

happyelectrons

• Personal Text
    made by frozen
« Reply #29 on: December 18, 2008, 07:22:29 PM »
yeah. nothing's changing. When the twilight cast was announced, there was a petition with 750,000 or so names against Robert Pattinson and absolutely nothing was changed and people ended up worshiping him. You don't have to watch to the movie if you don't want to but I would reserve such drastic talk until after you've seen a trailer or something.