"Aang aint white". Saving the world with postage.

Author Topic: "Aang aint white". Saving the world with postage.  (Read 18876 times)

Alana1991

Re: "Aang aint white". Saving the world with postage.
« Reply #30 on: December 18, 2008, 08:06:50 PM »
i agree with albert.
:/
and yes, the show was Asian INFLUENCED, but that does not mean that ALL the characters have to be Asian. not all of them have to be Caucasian. not all of them have to be the same race.

wich brings me to another point.
rizzol, we dont live in a world of ALL the same races.
and therefor i dont think this movie will have ALL the same races. they are not going to have all Asian people in this movie no matter how bad you want it or think it should be. its not.
i dont want to get mean about this so ill stop there. lol

but seriously. the show is Asian influenced but how many of the characters actually look Asian? Chong Chong (i doubt i spelled that right. but its Aangs first firebending teacher.) definitely looks Asian. if they dont cast an Asian actor for that, i will be upset because you can tell he is Asian. (i dont mean to offend anyone if this sounds racial.) but, im still going with what i said at first. AANG IS WHITE. so i totally disagree with that title of the site called aang aint white.

i think Mike and Bryan could draw a difference in characters if they wanted them to be Asian. obviously, they did that with a few characters, Aangs first firebending teacher for instance, and they drew in the characters the way THEY wanted them to be and how THEY wanted them to look. for the characters they wanted to be Asian, they drew Asian. for the characters they wanted a different race, they drew them as a different race.

and just to restate a very good point that was said earlier, im not quite sure by who tho, my apologies, we dont even know what the karate star looks like! he could be Asian for all you know! but then again, he could be Cuacasion. we dont know yet. we have to wait for a sneak peek. :]]

but until then, i think we should just deal with the fact that the casting director picked who they thought were the best. and if the cast is all white then that should be fine! apparently those white people who auditioned for those parts were better than the others who auditioned for them. and they just happened to be white. big deal. as least we GET a movie!! cant you just be happy with that?! i am!  ;D

I agree, it's not all Asian. I mean, look at the Sun Warriors, that was heavily inlfuenced by Aztec culture. ;) To be honest it's all a matter of perspective, I know it has a lot of Asian Influence but it doesn't take place in Asia but an Alternate world.

Namaste

• Futuristic (After Earth)

• Personal Text
    The divine in me bows before the divine in you.
    • myspace
« Reply #31 on: December 18, 2008, 09:26:23 PM »
ok so they are asian and native american (which are actually pretty closely related) but they are NOT white.
See the villain's larger eyes insinuating a just-off-normal perspective on how they see the world? I see signs Lucius Hunt; just not as you see dead people. I am so very happy we saw..each other, and no I will not tell you what color love is. Stop asking.

photography.is.love

• Praying with Anger

« Reply #32 on: December 18, 2008, 10:05:56 PM »
I just think that there should be 4+ main/secondary roles that are actually Asian. Mai, for instance. Zuko, maybe Toph, and Azula. I believe the other characters can be any race?

Haha, I?m not racist or anything, after all, I?m an Asian myself ;]

Specter

• Administrator

• NarniaFans
« Reply #33 on: December 18, 2008, 10:15:04 PM »
Young Aang, before he became the Avatar?
http://www.mnightfans.com/avatar

dar_katar

• The Happening

• Email
« Reply #34 on: December 18, 2008, 10:49:13 PM »
Young Aang, before he became the Avatar?
http://www.mnightfans.com/avatar

Awww!!!! XDD

Young Aang looks so cute! XD
And I can actually see him as a young Aang too! X)
My web to the site yo

http://dtahroamas.deviantart.com/

rizzol0219

• Wide Awake

« Reply #35 on: December 19, 2008, 03:12:29 AM »
And movies like The Ring have a much wider appeal to American audiences than films like House of Flying Daggers do.

People remake movies all of the time, why so surprised? Why the conspiracy theory like questions? People remake American movies, and Spanish movies, and Asian movies. I think some people are looking so hard to find evil reasons behind things that they are missing the obvious.

Let the Right One In is a Swedish film currently being remade for American audiences. Is it because American audiences don't want to see white skin, blonde hair, blue eyed actors? Or is it because as it stands it doesn't appeal to American audiences as much as it could, and it has nothing to do with race?

I think the answer is obvious. I would say the same exact thing goes for The Ring.

In my opinion it is not that Japanese horror films have a wider appeal to American audiences but that the movies translates better when rewritten. For example Ringu (The Ring), Honogurai mizu no soko kara (Dark Water),  Kairo (Pulse), even the movie you mentioned Let the Right One In (Swedish trailer looks awesome BTW, why rework it or not English dub it? Or subtitle it like Pan?s Labyrinth?) http://www.apple.com/trailers/magnolia/lettherightonein/  The settings of the stories are MODERN DAY in an urban or country rural environment. Now movies like House of Flying Daggers, Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon, Hero, The Banquet are not so simple to be rewritten. The setting is a fantasy type world. Now change the characters to Caucasians to appeal to American audiences. See my point? Note these films have been released in America with English dub without being reworked.
You mentioned ?the answer is obvious? in your reply? Please elaborate? Sorry I didn?t understand your argument.
 On your comment regarding why I am so surprised when movies are remade. I?M NOT! If you recall on that paragraph I also stated ?Truthfully I know that answer?.  The questions were to make a point with sarcasm but thank you for pointing that out because it seems that I needed to elaborate more on my thoughts.  I know that movies are remade in other countries to fit their general audiences but I would be willing to bet that those stories are easily reworked as mentioned in my previous paragraph.
Now although I do not agree with the cast, the movie maybe fine when it comes out. I will not know until I see the trailer for the first time. Even then I?ve seen some awesome trailers only to be disappointed by the movie.  I?ve also seen some horrible acting in scenes but still enjoyed the movies Star Wars 1, 2, and 3, but I think that is due to the imagery and some action scenes.

rizzol0219

• Wide Awake

« Reply #36 on: December 19, 2008, 03:47:29 AM »
Maybe movies like the Ring were originally done for asian audiences, and Crouching tiger/hero/flyin daggers were made with american audiences in mind..I mean..Jet Li..COME ON. Now don't get me wrong..there was a lot that was directed to asians (as in people living actually in china, etc) but they included elements that we westerners like to see as well. There's also the element of who had the most money to spend. The original Ringu wasnt nearly as a big of a budget as The Ring. Crouching Tiger, however, was tens of millions of dollars in the making.

I disagree. See my comment on Dr Malcom Crowes response. You referenced Jet Li? Why? Sorry for my ignorance. I just want to understand more better where you are coming from.  :) In my opinion a lot of american action films have adopted more elaborate fighting seens due to hong kong/asian cinema. So to say these Asian films were made with american audiences in mind doesn't seem to hold any water. I don't think budget is a major factor. There have been great movies produced without a multi-millionaire budget. I don't know if this is a good example but Blair Witch Project was shot with a budget of $22,000 and has made $248,639,099 in gross revenue.

Namaste

• Personal Text
    The divine in me bows before the divine in you.
    • myspace
« Reply #37 on: December 19, 2008, 12:18:53 PM »
I disagree. See my comment on Dr Malcom Crowes response. You referenced Jet Li? Why? Sorry for my ignorance. I just want to understand more better where you are coming from.  :) In my opinion a lot of american action films have adopted more elaborate fighting seens due to hong kong/asian cinema. So to say these Asian films were made with american audiences in mind doesn't seem to hold any water. I don't think budget is a major factor. There have been great movies produced without a multi-millionaire budget. I don't know if this is a good example but Blair Witch Project was shot with a budget of $22,000 and has made $248,639,099 in gross revenue.

I referred to Jet Li because he is a very american star (even though he is asian) and was used to appeal to american moviegoers in Hero (by the way I saw hero a year before it came out in the USA when it was still subtitled in cantonese mandarin and english because my sister was living in hong kong and brought me a copy ;D)  Americans like big budget special efects..every movie needs a love scene..the bad guy must die by the end of the film. That's stereotypical american film. It's very true that a movie doesnt need to have a big budget to be good, and there are some outstanding examples. For the most part, however, a low budget movie with a good story will be better if it is done with a bigger budget.
See the villain's larger eyes insinuating a just-off-normal perspective on how they see the world? I see signs Lucius Hunt; just not as you see dead people. I am so very happy we saw..each other, and no I will not tell you what color love is. Stop asking.

rizzol0219

• Wide Awake

« Reply #38 on: December 19, 2008, 05:34:59 PM »
i agree with albert.
:/
and yes, the show was Asian INFLUENCED, but that does not mean that ALL the characters have to be Asian. not all of them have to be Caucasian. not all of them have to be the same race.

wich brings me to another point.
rizzol, we dont live in a world of ALL the same races.
and therefor i dont think this movie will have ALL the same races. they are not going to have all Asian people in this movie no matter how bad you want it or think it should be. its not.
i dont want to get mean about this so ill stop there. lol

but seriously. the show is Asian influenced but how many of the characters actually look Asian? Chong Chong (i doubt i spelled that right. but its Aangs first firebending teacher.) definitely looks Asian. if they dont cast an Asian actor for that, i will be upset because you can tell he is Asian. (i dont mean to offend anyone if this sounds racial.) but, im still going with what i said at first. AANG IS WHITE. so i totally disagree with that title of the site called aang aint white.

i think Mike and Bryan could draw a difference in characters if they wanted them to be Asian. obviously, they did that with a few characters, Aangs first firebending teacher for instance, and they drew in the characters the way THEY wanted them to be and how THEY wanted them to look. for the characters they wanted to be Asian, they drew Asian. for the characters they wanted a different race, they drew them as a different race.

and just to restate a very good point that was said earlier, im not quite sure by who tho, my apologies, we dont even know what the karate star looks like! he could be Asian for all you know! but then again, he could be Cuacasion. we dont know yet. we have to wait for a sneak peek. :]]

but until then, i think we should just deal with the fact that the casting director picked who they thought were the best. and if the cast is all white then that should be fine! apparently those white people who auditioned for those parts were better than the others who auditioned for them. and they just happened to be white. big deal. as least we GET a movie!! cant you just be happy with that?! i am!  ;D

I don't think you actually read or comprehended what I had to say. Go back to each post I had and read it again. Answer my questions, please include what ever I said and quote me on it with your rebuttal. Please include examples for your argument that pertain to the subject matter and make sense. For example. You stated that "we dont live in a world of ALL the same races. and therefore i dont think this movie will have ALL the same races" While true that we do not live in a world with all the same races, most ethnicities in regions or countries have the same traits those areas. Except in some countries like the US where we are a big melting pot. Diversity is mostly visible in large cities like New York City. Even then it can be broken down further. Why do you think cities like New York and San Francisco have a China Town or Little Italy. Now let us take it even further. How many distinct different cultures do you think there are in China? To numerous to mention here!

Now let?s apply this to the world of Avatar. Northern and Southern water tribes look the same. They even have the same type of clothing although buildings are different. Now the characters casted are Caucasian, so let?s assume North and South tribes are white. Earth Nation let?s make them asian as an example. Air Nomads let?s make them Caucasian because Aang is apparently white in your words and casted as Caucasian (not sure if that picture on the forums is really him.) and Fire Nation using your example Aang?s first fire bender teacher is asian so the whole fire nation is asian.

Now lets move forward into the story where Aang, Toph, Katara, and Sokka go incognito in the asian-esque Fire Nation and try to blend in with their surroundings. Aang, Sokka, and Katara would stick out like a sore thumb. Toph on the other hand may be able to pull it off. Do you see the potential problem?

Now I mention in an earlier post that looking at the how animation characters look as far as race can be a mistake. Reference my first post in this thread. Page 2.

Here is another thing to look at http://images.google.com/images?um=1&hl=en&safe=active&q=spirited+away

Does Chihiro look white to you? I think she does, but she is most assuredly portrayed as Japanese.

On you comments on Bryan and Mike do you know them personally to make such bold claims. Did you know that the show is as American as the most of the clothing in Walmart? What I mean by that is that the story was thought up here but the animation was outsourced to a studio in Korea drew a majority of the cartoons animation. Do you even remember when book 3 was being delayed for release in the US? Reason being there was a hold up with production somehow in Korea.

http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20080303134225AAePZw3

Read the interview here.

http://www.animationinsider.net/article.php?articleID=841&document=1

And as for you last paragraph it contradicts your first paragraph. Avatar characters can be all races, but you are fine with all the main characters being white. How exactly are all the characters of different races then?

• Personal Text
    She was protecting the last waterbender... ME!!
    • Email
« Reply #39 on: December 20, 2008, 11:34:27 AM »
I don't think you actually read or comprehended what I had to say. Go back to each post I had and read it again. Answer my questions, please include what ever I said and quote me on it with your rebuttal. Please include examples for your argument that pertain to the subject matter and make sense. For example. You stated that "we dont live in a world of ALL the same races. and therefore i dont think this movie will have ALL the same races" While true that we do not live in a world with all the same races, most ethnicities in regions or countries have the same traits those areas. Except in some countries like the US where we are a big melting pot. Diversity is mostly visible in large cities like New York City. Even then it can be broken down further. Why do you think cities like New York and San Francisco have a China Town or Little Italy. Now let us take it even further. How many distinct different cultures do you think there are in China? To numerous to mention here!

Now let?s apply this to the world of Avatar. Northern and Southern water tribes look the same. They even have the same type of clothing although buildings are different. Now the characters casted are Caucasian, so let?s assume North and South tribes are white. Earth Nation let?s make them asian as an example. Air Nomads let?s make them Caucasian because Aang is apparently white in your words and casted as Caucasian (not sure if that picture on the forums is really him.) and Fire Nation using your example Aang?s first fire bender teacher is asian so the whole fire nation is asian.

Now lets move forward into the story where Aang, Toph, Katara, and Sokka go incognito in the asian-esque Fire Nation and try to blend in with their surroundings. Aang, Sokka, and Katara would stick out like a sore thumb. Toph on the other hand may be able to pull it off. Do you see the potential problem?

Now I mention in an earlier post that looking at the how animation characters look as far as race can be a mistake. Reference my first post in this thread. Page 2.

Here is another thing to look at http://images.google.com/images?um=1&hl=en&safe=active&q=spirited+away

Does Chihiro look white to you? I think she does, but she is most assuredly portrayed as Japanese.

On you comments on Bryan and Mike do you know them personally to make such bold claims. Did you know that the show is as American as the most of the clothing in Walmart? What I mean by that is that the story was thought up here but the animation was outsourced to a studio in Korea drew a majority of the cartoons animation. Do you even remember when book 3 was being delayed for release in the US? Reason being there was a hold up with production somehow in Korea.

http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20080303134225AAePZw3

Read the interview here.

And as for you last paragraph it contradicts your first paragraph. Avatar characters can be all races, but you are fine with all the main characters being white. How exactly are all the characters of different races then?

Okay. my point in all of this is that, Aang does NOT HAVE TO BE ASIAN. and if you read one of my first replies to this, i was talking about the website that this thread is about. the website is called 'Aang_aint_white...' and i said i disagree with that. and when i said that "we dont live in a world of ALL the same races. and therefore i dont think this movie will have ALL the same races" i was talking to someone who earlier said that the cast has to be all Asian (im sorry for not putting it in a different reply). "we do not live in a world with all the same races, most ethnicities in regions or countries have the same traits those areas" this is why the cast cant be all Asian. because if it was, it just wouldnt be right. and i didnt even start on this thread because of the cast. i started because of the website ive heard so much about. the "Aang aint white" one. i was simply stating that i think Aang is white. "but, im still going with what i said at first. AANG IS WHITE. so i totally disagree with that title of the site called aang aint white." that what i said and that was the original reason why i even replied on this thread.

Now, i see your point in the diversity of the world. but how do you know that the rest of the Water Tribe isnt cast with white people? or that they arent cast with dark skinned people to match the actual cartoon? and the Fire Nation. we dont know if they cast the rest of the Fire Nation with Asians. "Air Nomads let?s make them Caucasian because Aang is apparently white in your words and casted as Caucasian" and casted as Caucasian. i think that was my point in my last paragraph. if Aang was cast as Caucasion,(which again, we dont even know if he was because we havent seen the actual karate star) then apparently they couldnt find an Asian as good as him to play Aang. and if he is Asian, then apparently they couldnt find a Caucasian as good as him to play Aang.

And as for the rest of the cast, i think i let my first feelings for Nicola Peltz get in the way. i havent seen her acting, but it has to be fairly good since she was cast. and they can make her look darker than she really is. same for Rathbone. they can make him look darker for the part of Sokka. the casting director picked the people who they thought would be perfect for the roles. let them be Asian or Caucasian. (you know, ive never seen an African American in Avatar!! O_O)

"and Fire Nation using your example Aang?s first fire bender teacher is asian so the whole fire nation is asian. " and the whole fire nation does not have to be Asian just because ONE person is. there is a wide diversity of cultures and races in America. Now, lets randomly pick a person. if that person happens to be African American, does that mean that the rest of America is African American? Example? okay. Katara and Mast Pakku. maybe i have bad eyesight, but Mast Pakku is lighter than Katara. meaning, even within the same Tribe or Nation there is still some diversity.

and yes, i do see the potential problem, but, again, it can be fixed. just because the cast isnt the right skin tone, or something doesnt mean that they cant do anything about it.  :-\ i dont want this to turn into a big argument, im just stating what i think.

my friend here just commented on this. she said "you know, if so many people complain about it they have to change it." no. they dont have to change it. just because we dont like it doesnt mean they have to change it.  :-\

"I just think that there should be 4+ main/secondary roles that are actually Asian. Mai, for instance. Zuko, maybe Toph, and Azula. I believe the other characters can be any race?" now this, i could agree with. i do think that some of the characters should be Asian. but not all of them. and not all of them should be Caucasian.

i just dont agree with two things. one. i think Aang IS white. and two. i DONT think that everyone in the cast has to be Asian. and thats that for me.

oh, and no. i dont know Mike and Bryan personally, but you dont have to know them to understand what they've done or do. obviously they wanted some diversity in it. you can see that in their work. they came up with the characters. they drew them as they wanted them. Katara and Sokka, Inuit of some type. Zuko and ChongChong, Asian of some type. and so forth.

you just can tell that the characters are different. put Katara and Zuko next to eachother. Katara has bigger eyes and darker skin than Zuko. alot of the Water Tribe people have blue eyes. alot of people in the Fire Nation have golden eyes. there are differences. alike? yes. the same? no. Asian influenced? yes. all Asian? no.

and now, i will restate what i said in my last reply. just be happy you get an amzing movie like this!  ;D ;D

done.oh

• Unbreakable

« Reply #40 on: December 20, 2008, 04:45:49 PM »
aang isn't white. i hear noah ringer is a carcassian and short lol.  This reminds me of when jorja fox left csi.  haha, send a wedding cake to the producer, anyone of them getting married soon?  ;D

shadowbender

« Reply #41 on: December 20, 2008, 11:52:50 PM »
Wait, do we know that Aang's actor is white? Does anyone have a picture of him? For all we know he could look Asian, just because someone's name is Noah doesn't mean they're white.
Also, IMO, Aang is the most Caucasian looking character in the series, and the one who I mind the least that his actor is white (if he is white). Katara and Sokka are definitely not Caucasian, so their actors were more of a surprise.
I will be going to see this movie in July unless I hear that the actors are beyond terrible (in which case I'll wait for the DVD) or unless the price of movie tickets gets so high by 2010 that it'll cost me $20 just to get in :) (in which case I will also wait for the DVD).

Agreed. Aang is very white-looking to me. Just because he's a monk, that doesn't mean he's Asian. "Avatar" isn't set in Asia, it's a whole different world.

Alana1991

« Reply #42 on: December 21, 2008, 12:21:15 AM »
Agreed. :) I think what avatarluv said was well put. There's a lot of diversity in the show. I don;t agree with the cast being strictly one race for tha reason...that's why they allowed every race to audition, even though the outcome makes it look like they didn't, they did. We still don't know about the minor characters, maybe they're not white.

And the blue eyed thing, I need to point something out. I know that Sokka and Katara are inspired by inuits, but the blue-eyed thing isn't inuit. Correct me if I'm wrong, but  I'm pretty sure Blue eyed traits root back to Europeans.

shadowbender

« Reply #43 on: December 21, 2008, 12:23:42 AM »
Agreed. :) I think what avatarluv said was well put. There's a lot of diversity in the show. I don;t agree with the cast being strictly one race for tha reason...that's why they allowed every race to audition, even though the outcome makes it look like they didn't, they did. We still don't know about the minor characters, maybe they're not white.

And the blue eyed thing, I need to point something out. I know that Sokka and Katara are inspired by inuits, but the blue-eyed thing isn't inuit. Correct me if I'm wrong, but  I'm pretty sure Blue eyed traits root back to Europeans.

Yes, I agree. "Avatar" is very diverse.

dajanerz

• Unbreakable

« Reply #44 on: December 21, 2008, 01:50:28 AM »

Read the interview here.

OK - I've been following this thread and i have to ask - has anyone clicked on rizzol's links that he's been providing? And has anyone read the interview with Bryke?  Now, I'm for DIVERSITY.  Nowhere has Rizzol stated that he's for an ALL ASIAN CAST either.   :-[

Personally, I'm beginning to think that the casting directors didn't even get past Perris's submission...  You've seen his headshots, you've read his resume, here on these forums - you've even watched his audition on youtube.  Karate - isn't even a CHINESE martial art.  :o Yes, I am a little bitter and personally offended, especially when Perris has been training in Northern Shaolin Kung Fu with a former Shaolin Monk for 5 years since his arrival from China.  Google "tibetan monk" or "Shaolin Monk" -see anyone that even resembles caucasian?  Now youtube those same keywords....

Sorry - Unless Noah Ringer looks asian AND like Aang, even though he may possibly be caucasian, I'll be cool.  The cast, in my opinion, definately do not look like the roles they are intended to play.  Make-up is to be used for making people look pretty or ugly (Joker, Two-Face, X-Men) - not yellowfacing or blackfacing.  Memoirs of a Geisha worked because they were still Asians playing Asians.

And so far, they are NOT sticking to source material... why is everyone so concerned about a cartoons skin and eye color anyway - do your research on anime and why characters are drawn the way they are and look past it.  Actually - click on all the links Rizzol's provided you with and comment on those articles... you'll find that a studio in Korea were animators... not a studio in America.

Oh well...there's my rant.  If anyone doesn't have a problem with the said cast now, then you TRULY do not understand "culturally" why so many are offended nor understand the depth of Mike and Brian's research and time spent on the show - even though they are "from America".  I do believe, they had no say whatsoever on the cast.