Academy Awards-A Joke?

Author Topic: Academy Awards-A Joke?  (Read 11450 times)

Mr_Glass.1

• Futuristic (After Earth)

• Email
Academy Awards-A Joke?
« on: January 23, 2009, 01:29:38 PM »
So the Academy Awards announced their nominations, and I was truly stunned, I thought this might be the year they would shy away from political, and artsy films, trying to show the public how their sense of art and good films is messed up, and actually make good nominations.  Unfortunately, I was wrong.  The Dark Knight was well and truly snubbed, yes it got a bunch of technical nominations, which it definately deserved, but only one major nomination.  It makes me wonder whether Heath Ledger would have even gotton that if he hadn't died.  Some of the other nominations-how in the world can Kate Winslet win a best supporting actress at the golden globes for her performance in The Reader, but then also get nominated for that same performance, but this time as a leading actress in the Academy Awards, that makes no sense.  And the Academy Awards wonders why it's viewership is down, cause they don't even recognize the second highest grossing film of all time in the United States, they for some reason have to prove that movies that nobody watches (the one exception is Slumdog Millionare) are somehow better than the popular ones.
I see the world Lucius Hunt, just not the way you see it.

Ivy Walker to Lucius Hunt in The Village

Rohan

• Global Moderator

• nightwriter22
Re: Academy Awards-A Joke?
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2009, 10:05:11 PM »
So the Academy Awards announced their nominations, and I was truly stunned, I thought this might be the year they would shy away from political, and artsy films, trying to show the public how their sense of art and good films is messed up, and actually make good nominations.  Unfortunately, I was wrong.  The Dark Knight was well and truly snubbed, yes it got a bunch of technical nominations, which it definately deserved, but only one major nomination.  It makes me wonder whether Heath Ledger would have even gotton that if he hadn't died.  Some of the other nominations-how in the world can Kate Winslet win a best supporting actress at the golden globes for her performance in The Reader, but then also get nominated for that same performance, but this time as a leading actress in the Academy Awards, that makes no sense.  And the Academy Awards wonders why it's viewership is down, cause they don't even recognize the second highest grossing film of all time in the United States, they for some reason have to prove that movies that nobody watches (the one exception is Slumdog Millionare) are somehow better than the popular ones.

Every year I wait for the Academy Award nominations. To tell you the truth in the past 2 years I don't find Academy awards interesting anymore. When "No Country For Old Men" won the best movie and "Daniel Day Lewis" won for his performance in "There Will Be Blood" - that satisfied me big time. I was eagerly waiting for the Academy's announcement of its respected nominations this year.

I respect acting and the actors, but this year I don't think "Mickey Rourke" deserves to be nominated for Academy Award. I mean where was he all these years. He came with an movie and then gets to win an Golden Globe Award for his role. I think Golden Globe should have been presented to "Brad Pitt". Lets forget about the "GGA". Back to the Oscars, look how they nominated Sean Penn again this year and forgot "CLINT EASTWOOD" for his role in Gran Torino. No disrespect to Sean Penn - one of my favorite actors, I know he did a awesome job in MILK, but come on, CLINT EASTWOOD deserves to be listed as an actor this year.

Where is "Christopher Nolan" as the best director for his awesome job in THE DARK KNIGHT, I am shocked.

I want to talk about "Heath Ledger" - Heath's performance is a performance. Have anyone of us here seen anyone working so serious and so good and dedicated in his role since "Jim Caviezel" performance in "The Passion Of The Christ". Heath did that and I was surprised and inspired. If Heath would be alive today, he still would win a GGA and nominated in the best supporting role for a Oscar and also the movie still be one of the top grossers. Heath spent day and night working hard and bring the character of joker so close and made it so personal, I don't have to explain his effort here - we all know what he did. He surpassed "Jack Nicholson's" performance of the JOKER ( no disrespect to Jack). I hope he wins the oscar, too.

Actresses - I was surprised when Kate won twice at GGA. I thought one of them at least should have been presented to "Angelina Jolie" Kate is one of my favorite actresses, I think she is awesome and have done a awesome job in both movies. Since she already recieved two GGA, I am going to support "Angelina Jolie" at Academy. I will be looking forward to it.

I don't think "Mr.Glass" that Academy looks at the "Box Office". I think Academy tries to understand that what true art is and recognizes those artists. Sometimes they don't do things the way they should be, but I don't think they care about money. The Dark Knight earned lots of money, I know it deserves an oscar and its maker as well. The reason I am saying that is because MONEY and SKILLED Directing and acting is coincidence when it comes to The Dark Knight. There are movies that are not that good, but actually earns some decent money at the box office. Last time, it was No Country For Old Men and There Will Be Blood - they were not popular at the box office. Look at both movies - how perfect they are.

Slumdog Millionaire - this movie it out of nowhere. I have not seen it yet, but I have heard that it is good. Again, looks very simple story, nothing pretty much inspiring about it. I read the script, its written purely. I was not entertained by its story. Plot. Bollywood itself can write a story like that. I have seen "Devdas" directed by Sanjay Leela Bhansali and BLACK - Academy Award deserving movies. I am going for Curious Case Of Benjamin Button - I want this movie to win. There is story and directing style that should be praised.

The Academy Awards will be fun to watch - but since we don't get to see "Clint Eastwood" for his work as an nominee is pain to watch. Personally, I have lots of respect for Clint, he is the national treasure and the corner stone of Hollywood.

Rohan

Namaste

• Personal Text
    The divine in me bows before the divine in you.
    • myspace
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2009, 10:57:22 PM »
Actually, TDK was pretty political in my opinion..and most of you already know what im talking about. And about unpopular movies being artistically better than popular ones, well..arent we all here because we think Shyamalan films are some of the best out there even though they are unpopular?
See the villain's larger eyes insinuating a just-off-normal perspective on how they see the world? I see signs Lucius Hunt; just not as you see dead people. I am so very happy we saw..each other, and no I will not tell you what color love is. Stop asking.

Rohan

• Global Moderator

• nightwriter22
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2009, 11:05:55 PM »
Actually, TDK was pretty political in my opinion..and most of you already know what im talking about. And about unpopular movies being artistically better than popular ones, well..arent we all here because we think Shyamalan films are some of the best out there even though they are unpopular?

I agree. Totally agree with you.

shadowbender

« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2009, 02:04:28 PM »
I hate the fact that all of these amazing, big-budget movies never get an Academy Award. It ticks me off. What, was "The Dark Knight" not artsy enough? These people are ridiculous for their choices, and honestly, it's an insult to Heath Ledger's memory, that crew member who got killed on the set, Christopher Nolan, Christian Bale, and many others.

Rohan

• Global Moderator

• nightwriter22
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2009, 02:41:28 PM »
I hate the fact that all of these amazing, big-budget movies never get an Academy Award. It ticks me off. What, was "The Dark Knight" not artsy enough? These people are ridiculous for their choices, and honestly, it's an insult to Heath Ledger's memory, that crew member who got killed on the set, Christopher Nolan, Christian Bale, and many others.

I feel the same way when its comes specially to THE DARK KNIGHT. I think TDK was 100 times better than SLUMDOG MILLIONAIRE. I have read the Slumdog script.

Namaste

• Personal Text
    • myspace
« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2009, 07:06:23 AM »
lol..an insult to dead people's memories..
why didnt Brandon Lee get a nomination for The Crow? I thought it was an amazing performance. BTW, i had a dream about batman this morning! it was odd, and sexy..and more odd lmao
See the villain's larger eyes insinuating a just-off-normal perspective on how they see the world? I see signs Lucius Hunt; just not as you see dead people. I am so very happy we saw..each other, and no I will not tell you what color love is. Stop asking.

Rohan

• Global Moderator

• nightwriter22
« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2009, 04:33:54 PM »
lol..an insult to dead people's memories..
why didnt Brandon Lee get a nomination for The Crow? I thought it was an amazing performance. BTW, i had a dream about batman this morning! it was odd, and sexy..and more odd lmao

Sexy? Tell us about it.  ;D

Namaste

• Personal Text
    • myspace
« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2009, 12:26:01 AM »
bahHa..it was not family-friendly

Rohan

• Global Moderator

• nightwriter22
« Reply #9 on: January 26, 2009, 09:40:33 PM »
bahHa..it was not family-friendly

Oh okay.... :o

Mr_Glass.1

• Email
« Reply #10 on: January 29, 2009, 06:37:08 PM »
I know less succesful films can be better than commercially succesful ones, but that needs to play some effect, at least in the best picture category.  I just feel like the Academy Awards feels like it can't give anything to succesful movies, they have to dictate to us what good film and art is.

Dr Malcolm Crowe

• Global Moderator

• http://www.teddyblass.com
« Reply #11 on: January 29, 2009, 07:05:23 PM »
Although I am annoyed that the Academy didn't recognize The Dark Knight for Best Picture, I don't think they are putting bad films in its place.

Nor do I believe they are trying to dictate anything.

shadowbender

« Reply #12 on: January 31, 2009, 08:35:10 PM »
It really annoys me when successful films get no awards, it really is annoying.

Rohan

• Global Moderator

• nightwriter22
« Reply #13 on: February 01, 2009, 10:57:58 PM »
Lets put the success away for a minute. The Dark Knight is a well made movie. Well directed. No flaws in my book. I had my freakin highlighter down when I was watching the movie and found no mistake to highlight. I am shocked they didn't nominated the movie. They better give "Benjamin" the best movie of the year award.

Mr_Glass.1

• Email
« Reply #14 on: February 11, 2009, 01:17:27 PM »
You might get it, A Beautiful Mind won, and there are similarities between it and Benjamin Button.