Zuko Re-cast!

Author Topic: Zuko Re-cast!  (Read 42455 times)

Dr Malcolm Crowe

• Global Moderator
  • Futuristic (After Earth)

• http://www.teddyblass.com
Zuko Re-cast!
« on: February 02, 2009, 01:46:00 AM »
"Slumdog Millionaire" star Dev Patel has joined the cast of M. Night Shyamalan's "The Last Airbender," the Paramount Pictures and Nickelodeon Films live-actioner based on a Nick TV series. Dev Patel will is set to play Zuko, a member of the Fire Nation. Jessica Jade Andres has been cast as the Earth Kingdom's representative, Suki.

Jesse McCartney was knocked out of the role of Zuko by scheduling, much to the relief of Avatar fans everywhere.  Jackson Rathbone, who is playing Sakka,  managed to work around a conflict with "New Moon," the sequel to Twilight. Patel joins newcomer Noah Ringer (Aang), Nicola Peltz (Katara), Jackson Rathbone and Jessica Jade Andres. Production begins in mid-March in Greenland.

In casting Patel and Ringer, a director accustomed to delivering plot twists to audiences got some surprises of his own. Ringer is a complete unknown who was tapped for the title role off an Internet audition. Patel, meanwhile, steps into a role that Jesse McCartney had all but locked up until the actor's second career as a musician got in the way.

"Jesse had tour dates that conflicted with a boot camp I always hold on my films, and where the actors here have to train for martial arts," Shyamalan said.Patel was "already one of the guys I was interested in. Then I saw 'Slumdog Millionaire,' and the kid just grew in my eyes," he said.

Tyro thesp Ringer will play Aang, the film's lead, who is the last of a race of people who can manipulate the elements of air. Ringer, a 12-year-old from Texas, landed the part after demonstrating his martial arts skills in an Internet vid that he posted to a website Shyamalan set up for open virtual auditions.

-via Variety

AIR NOMAD

Re: Zuko Re-cast!
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2009, 01:57:03 AM »
YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! McCartney Isn't ZUKO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

And now we know who suki is yaaaaaay!!!

And I'm a little confused, is the name of the guy playing Aang Noah Ringer or Tyro thesp Ringer?

Oh and aheres a pic of Dev Patel AKA new Zuko

« Last Edit: February 02, 2009, 02:04:25 AM by AIR NOMAD »

Dr Malcolm Crowe

• Global Moderator

« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2009, 02:02:22 AM »
I'm pretty sure it's Noah.  ;)

Hawkowl

• The Sixth Sense

« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2009, 08:30:48 AM »
Wow, this is certainly a surprise (a good one!).
Has anyone seen Slumdog Millionare? How's Dav Patel's acting?
-Hawkowl

Alana1991

« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2009, 10:25:39 AM »
YES THEY CHANGED ZUKO! :D

Is there a pic of Suki? ;D

Matt800

« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2009, 10:41:28 AM »
In my opinion, Jesse looked more like Zuko. Oh well Dev might be good, who knows.

The girl playing Suki has an imdb. I cant really tell if I like her look or not from the picture there. 

Ill remain optimistic for both.  :)

I wonder when we will get to see photos of the cast fully dressed in character. That will be interesting.  ;D

Cleveland Heep

• LITW

« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2009, 11:09:21 AM »
Ive said this in other posts, but Slumdog Millionaire is in my opinion a Perfect Film.
Its my favroite movie.
THIS guy knows how to act.

Im so excited.

NinjaBlank

• Personal Text
    NinjaBlank
« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2009, 11:49:26 AM »
Yeah I heard Slumdog Millionaire was a great film so I'm sure the actors in it are pretty good as well.

Hawkowl

• The Sixth Sense

« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2009, 12:21:19 PM »
I kind of agree with Matt800....I know that Zuko is supposedly Asian, but he isn't supposed to have such dark skin. Dav Patel looks more like Sokka.
Oh well, I don't mind too much, and I didn't like Jesse McCartney either.  :)
-Hawkowl

Matt800

« Reply #9 on: February 02, 2009, 01:55:48 PM »
haha, no Zuko is not supposed to be Asian...he is an animated character with no ethnicity attributed from real life...  ;D Sorry, I am an anthropology major in college so a often feel the need to contradict those types of generalizations

Skin color isn't really important to me, its the actual body structure that I think matters. A person could be dark skinned or light skinned and still look like Zuko if they had the same distinctive features. Granted it would be more exact if the actor were the same skin tone, but I dont think that is as important. I thought Jesse looked a bit more like Zuko based on bone structure, but Dev seems close enough that I think he can still fit well. Anyways, I don't feel like nit picking anymore. Afterall this is Shyamalan's take on it. I shouldn't expect it to be exactly like the TV show. I just hope it ends up equally enjoyable.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2009, 01:58:22 PM by Matt800 »

afterpurplefive

• The Village

• Personal Text
    taang is love
    • 9mm Magnum
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: February 02, 2009, 05:02:58 PM »
YES! They heard us! Thank you, God, thank you!

Jessica can pass as Suki, I believe.

Oh my god. I'm having a fan girl moment.....I've decided to give Rathbone a chance as Sokka because he did give me this Sokka feel in a few pictures. He is still horrendously old to be Sokka. But Jessica looks very pretty and super hot Rathbone as Sokka....they will be a very good looking live action on screen couple XD

As for Jesse no longer being Zuko, I am so happy! But it's a bittersweet happiness because Jesse did have the face structure as Zuko -- it was his reputation of being a teeny bopper and the idea that he was going to play a character who is Asian that had me freaking out. Which is where I disagree with Matt. Some things do not have to be stated, no one had to stick a huge poster that read THESE CHARACTERS ARE ASIAN BASED AS IS EVERYTHING YOU SEE HERE before every episode lol. It was obvious.

But Dev is an....eh choice. He certainly does not look the part of Zuko. But the boy has some acting chops! He's a great actor.

Hmmm....Now if only we could find pictures of Ringer.

gwags33

« Reply #11 on: February 02, 2009, 05:50:45 PM »
WHAT THE HECK??? THAT KID IS MIDDLE EASTERN!!! not asian...i think i liked jesse better  :-X :-X :-X

Dr Malcolm Crowe

• Global Moderator

« Reply #12 on: February 02, 2009, 05:52:04 PM »
there is no way they are going to please everybody. what a hopeless cause this has turned into.

shadowbender

« Reply #13 on: February 02, 2009, 06:21:25 PM »
I heard about this online...and I have to say...I hate and then again, I like it.

First off, I'm relieved that Jesse McCartney is not playing Zuko. That was just stupid.

However, he looks nothing like Zuko?! I'm not judging this on race, I'm judging this on facial features. I mean, oh my gosh! I'm usually not that picky about looks but...when I see him, I don't think of Zuko! He's just not the character!

However...I'm partially glad that we got someone who can act. He was supposedly great in "Slumdog Millionaire", so at least he's got his acting down. But still, I don't see Zuko with him.

Well, I'm glad they got Suki cast. We should try and find out more about her.

Filming begins in mid-March. We'll probably see some production photos soon.

AIR NOMAD

« Reply #14 on: February 02, 2009, 06:45:33 PM »
So no one needs to waste time searching imdb,

Voila! Suki!