Zuko Re-cast!

Author Topic: Zuko Re-cast!  (Read 40106 times)

Matt800

• Futuristic (After Earth)

Re: Zuko Re-cast!
« Reply #30 on: February 04, 2009, 10:15:26 PM »
Fair explanation, and thanks for taking the time to do so. My point though, is that not only could someone of Asian decent look like him, but people from other ethnic backgrounds can as well. The apparent cultural setting, really shouldnt matter. For example, there are light skinned people who have a steriotypically dark skinned culture, and dark skinned people with the reverse. Like many white people in Africa, or blacks in the Netherlands, Germany, the UK, etc. Race is not a black and white subject, in fact there is frequently more genetic diversity in an "racial" group than between different groups. Which is why racial categorizing is misleading and problematic.

Zuko is a cartoon character, and he will never look exactly like a real person. All we can do is patch something together based on his skin color, hair, bone structure, eyes, etc. There will always be a bit of imagination involved which is why I think a lot of people like to side with whatever is most comfortable to themselves. Some people see Asian clothes or hairstyle and immediately assume the character must be Asian. That may make sense to them, but with a greater depth of knowledge or world experience those people would know that that is an ignorant view point. If you have read anything in history about persons from different cultures meeting, it is really easy to see how hindering those types of thoughts can be.

Zuko is from the Firenation, and has no relation to the real world. Therefore there are no limiting cultural or "racial" standards set in place by the creators. Furthermore, because "race" does not exist as a functioning scientific term, it is impossible to try and use it in a way to appropriately categorize someone. All we can say regarding Zuko is, "this person looks like him" or "this person doesn't." Which is all that should matter anyways. Why try to limit anything when it is not necessary or even beneficial?

Perhaps you want to promote someone most similar to yourself, in an attempt to enhance the quality of your own life or your chances at reproduction, but as I said before there is more genetic variance in a given "race" than there is between them. Plus just because two people look Asian does not mean they come from even remotely the same background or culture--a subjective term in itself. It is completely irrational and often times one of the biggest problems with the human race.

By the way, I'm not trying to offend or argue with anyone here. I just wanted to explain why I feel limiting Zuko racially is counterproductive. If anyone is interested or offended by what I had to say pm me instead of posting here, so we dont start any arguments.  ;D
« Last Edit: February 04, 2009, 10:41:26 PM by Matt800 »

citypigeon

• Wide Awake

• Email
« Reply #31 on: February 04, 2009, 10:39:26 PM »
That's entirely true Matt800. Needless to say I guess, those that wish Zuko and whatnot to be Asian (or this and that...I've seen fans want them to be white more than anything else) don't bother to go that far in depth when they think about the dream actor they want to portray these characters. Film makers do. They have to think across the board if they want to make things work. Some fans don't think it's necessary, as evident by their complaints...and that's up to them.

I'll admit, I was a little put off when the casting initially came out. I couldn't help but ridicule how a show has achieved its amazing charm and appeal to so great an audience largely due to its culturally rich qualities, has been given a cast that was...that. Especially the Jesse McCartney part. Sorry, I just don't like him. But now that we have Dev Patel instead, I'm satisfied that I can now see a leading cast whose diversity can match that of what the show is essentially made up of.

Matt800

« Reply #32 on: February 04, 2009, 10:48:02 PM »
Yeah I was a little disappointed with Jesse just because I felt there could have been someone with more of a fit personality-wise, as well as in qualification. That is just how the entertainment business works though. There are many parts that can be disappointing but it works out well enough in the end usually. I think the Last Airbender certainly has a good shot at being a good movie. Even if it differs from the TV show in a few ways, it can still make its own mark and be entertaining.

.:believe:

• Praying with Anger

« Reply #33 on: February 05, 2009, 05:59:29 PM »
I really wished that an asian (like, chinese/korean/japanese/other asian countires) would play zuko ]:
oh well. the cast is already screwed up, one more addition wouldn't hurt. lots of people like him, so what the heck, i'll give him a try.

i haven't seen any asians in the main cast so far...

Dr Malcolm Crowe

• Global Moderator

• http://www.teddyblass.com
« Reply #34 on: February 05, 2009, 06:20:16 PM »
Things will become more clear in the next few weeks. Only a little over 4 weeks until the start of filming.

We should be better able to understand where Night and Paramount are going with this.

gwags33

« Reply #35 on: February 05, 2009, 07:01:09 PM »
hey matt if you dont think the characters are asian, then we are not watching the same show...get your eyes checked.

Matt800

« Reply #36 on: February 05, 2009, 08:10:50 PM »
Wow I guess there is only about a month left. I wonder how long it will be until we get to see the cast in full dress and makeup... Does anyone know when that is usually released with respect to a film's progress in production?

Dr Malcolm Crowe

• Global Moderator

• http://www.teddyblass.com
« Reply #37 on: February 05, 2009, 08:38:07 PM »
It depends on the movie and the director. Usually we don't see pictures from the production of night's films until filming has ended. In this case that is summer 09.

Considering there is a fair amount of hype with this film, they might choose to release stuff once filming as started.

AIR NOMAD

« Reply #38 on: February 05, 2009, 11:34:36 PM »
I'm betting a lone paparazzo will somehow sneak in and get a few pics (then sell them for thousands of dollars) ;D

Matt800

« Reply #39 on: February 06, 2009, 10:57:22 AM »
haha well either way I am looking forward to when we get to see some photos.

shadowbender

« Reply #40 on: February 07, 2009, 08:16:20 PM »
hey matt if you dont think the characters are asian, then we are not watching the same show...get your eyes checked.

Hey, I totally agree with Matt. He's absolutely right. Most of the characters are not Asian.

I haven't been here in a while, so I wouldn't know if you guys have already seen pictures and info on the actress playing Suki, Jessica Jade Andres. Here's her IMDb page with photos and info.

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm2599071/
« Last Edit: February 07, 2009, 09:09:01 PM by shadowbender »

Alana1991

« Reply #41 on: February 07, 2009, 09:21:25 PM »
I could see her as Suki. :) She looks like she's around Jackson's age.  8)

So Who's Yue? Will they announce her? ???

Matt800

« Reply #42 on: February 08, 2009, 10:44:44 AM »
To be clear Shadowbender, my comment was supposed to say that ethnicity and race as terms should not be generalized and used to limit the casting of a live action transition from an animated show. Instead of so many people saying an Asian would be best, it would be better if they gave a specific person as an example.

Race is not black and white, and using the term in such a way it isn't very appropriate. Especially in the context it has been used in on this forum recently, because singling out a race as being better or worse can create racist tendencies even on such a small scale.

Yeah I would like to see who the actress is for Yue too ;D I'm sure they will release a photo or her name at some point, at least on imdb.

zuko7787

• Praying with Anger

• Email
« Reply #43 on: February 08, 2009, 12:42:56 PM »
I just have to put this in here.. I definitely agree with Matt800 and whoever else said this, but this new dude to play Zuko, Dev Patel... looks absolutely nothing like Zuko with the exception of darker skin than Jesse McCartney. His hair, eyes, nose, jawline, smile, ears... none of it looks like Zuko. To say that his qualifications as an actor and the fact that he's a minority is enough for you... is a ridiculous sellout. I would rather have an asian Zuko that could act and who actually looks like Zuko anyday over sir Jesse McCartney, but to think that "the fans" have somehow "won" by complaining enough to get a guy that in no way what-so-ever represents Zuko just kinda pisses me off.
I wasn't happy in the least when they came out with the first news of who was going to be playing the main characters, but that was mainly from their choices for Sokka and Katara. Since I don't have any connection with Jesse McCartney (I never heard him sing or saw anything he was in) then I don't really have a biased view of why he shouldn't be playing Zuko other than the fact that I would prefer an asian actor. Between the choices, Jesse McCartney looked a lot more like Zuko than the new pick. Jesse had the bone structure and could put on the tough look that Zuko always had. Have any of you who support this choice actually seen this guy?...

http://www.imdb.com/media/rm623151616/nm2353862

Zuko???.... I think not. What I'm really trying to say is that it makes me sick that all it must've honestly broken down to in your minds is... "Jesse McCartney isn't asian or a minority.. so I'll complain massively about it.. yaaayyyy!! They changed their minds and picked a minority that looks nothing like the character of Zuko.. but it's ok, because he's a minority.. doesn't matter that he's a worse pick than Jesse, I'll support it!"

Like I said, I'd rather have an asian actor that looks like Zuko and can act, but to justify this guy as the choice for Zuko off him being a minority.. which by the way is a pretty racist thing to support.. is just pitiful. And yeh, yeh I know Jesse McCartney as Zuko could be seen as pretty racist, but I didn't support that from the start. I'm just saying that this guy is a far worse choice.

gwags33

« Reply #44 on: February 08, 2009, 01:00:23 PM »
I just have to put this in here.. I definitely agree with Matt800 and whoever else said this, but this new dude to play Zuko, Dev Patel... looks absolutely nothing like Zuko with the exception of darker skin than Jesse McCartney. His hair, eyes, nose, jawline, smile, ears... none of it looks like Zuko. To say that his qualifications as an actor and the fact that he's a minority is enough for you... is a ridiculous sellout. I would rather have an asian Zuko that could act and who actually looks like Zuko anyday over sir Jesse McCartney, but to think that "the fans" have somehow "won" by complaining enough to get a guy that in no way what-so-ever represents Zuko just kinda pisses me off.
I wasn't happy in the least when they came out with the first news of who was going to be playing the main characters, but that was mainly from their choices for Sokka and Katara. Since I don't have any connection with Jesse McCartney (I never heard him sing or saw anything he was in) then I don't really have a biased view of why he shouldn't be playing Zuko other than the fact that I would prefer an asian actor. Between the choices, Jesse McCartney looked a lot more like Zuko than the new pick. Jesse had the bone structure and could put on the tough look that Zuko always had. Have any of you who support this choice actually seen this guy?...

http://www.imdb.com/media/rm623151616/nm2353862

Zuko???.... I think not. What I'm really trying to say is that it makes me sick that all it must've honestly broken down to in your minds is... "Jesse McCartney isn't asian or a minority.. so I'll complain massively about it.. yaaayyyy!! They changed their minds and picked a minority that looks nothing like the character of Zuko.. but it's ok, because he's a minority.. doesn't matter that he's a worse pick than Jesse, I'll support it!"

Like I said, I'd rather have an Asian actor that looks like Zuko and can act, but to justify this guy as the choice for Zuko off him being a minority.. which by the way is a pretty racist thing to support.. is just pitiful. And yeh, yeh I know Jesse McCartney as Zuko could be seen as pretty racist, but I didn't support that from the start. I'm just saying that this guy is a far worse choice.

i for sure did not want this new guy to play zuko. I would much rather have someone else play, I don't know why there casting is so messed.

But for one thing, i think avatar characters are Asian, because the world that surrounds them and the environment they're in. You can't have Caucasians in Asian costumes, Asian names, using chopsticks, living in pagodas, writing and reading in calligraphy, pinyin. It doesn't fit for me.

even the names in avatar have chinese meanings...

zhao- means morning or simply good morning for slang

yue- means moon

I couldnt tell you what aang, yangchen, or bei fong means because I have simply never heard them in chinese language except for aang as a name with no meaning. But they are for sure chinese names.

BUT, i would rather have jesse play zuko than then new guy, who looks absolutely nothing like zuko...