I Think Shyamalan Is Underrated, Especially Lately

Author Topic: I Think Shyamalan Is Underrated, Especially Lately  (Read 6206 times)

trufan3

• Praying with Anger

I Think Shyamalan Is Underrated, Especially Lately
« on: February 16, 2009, 12:28:50 AM »
The reason I like M. Night Shyamalan's films is one simple thing that most other films don't have : ATMOSPHERE.

EVERY M. Night Shyamalan film has atmosphere, even Lady In The Water and The Happening. And to me, atmosphere is the MOST important thing about a film, especially if its supposed to be a suspense-thriller.

As far as I'm concerned, M. Night Shyamalan IS the atmosphere master.

Anyone agree or disagree?

Erik

• Futuristic (After Earth)

• Personal Text
    d'oh!
Re: I Think Shyamalan Is Underrated, Especially Lately
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2009, 11:28:45 AM »
To me, Lady In The Water has even the strongest Night feeling, even though the story isn't actually that good (compared with his previous 4 movies). With The Happening I had no Night feeling at all...
We can breath in space,
they just don't want us to escape...

steinmansbrain

• The Village

• Email
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2009, 11:43:35 AM »
To me, Lady In The Water has even the strongest Night feeling, even though the story isn't actually that good (compared with his previous 4 movies).

Yes man yeah exactly.

I didn't think 'Lady In The Water' was one of his best in terms of plot but it did have a lot of Night 'feeling' which meant for me it was still better than most other films.

With The Happening I had no Night feeling at all...

Yeah me neither man I was hurt :'(

Rohan

• Global Moderator

• nightwriter22
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2009, 05:05:42 PM »
The reason I like M. Night Shyamalan's films is one simple thing that most other films don't have : ATMOSPHERE.

EVERY M. Night Shyamalan film has atmosphere, even Lady In The Water and The Happening. And to me, atmosphere is the MOST important thing about a film, especially if its supposed to be a suspense-thriller.

As far as I'm concerned, M. Night Shyamalan IS the atmosphere master.

Anyone agree or disagree?

I agree. That's why I adore his movies.

Namaste

• Personal Text
    The divine in me bows before the divine in you.
    • myspace
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2009, 11:43:50 PM »

yeah the reason you get great atmosphere is the long, slow shots. Maybe you can see more in those crazy 45 cut per minute action films, but you have no sense of actually being there because it is so un-natural. With shyamalan, however, you might as well be looking in through a window, or sitting in the middle of the scene. the natural camera movements and sound are meant to make you feel like the action is happening to you, and you are feeling the emotions of the characters.
See the villain's larger eyes insinuating a just-off-normal perspective on how they see the world? I see signs Lucius Hunt; just not as you see dead people. I am so very happy we saw..each other, and no I will not tell you what color love is. Stop asking.

Mr_Glass.1

• Email
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2009, 02:52:47 PM »
I agree completely with what everybody else has said.  Night is the master of atmosphere, now there are other reasons why I like his films, but his camera movement and lighting is amazing.
I see the world Lucius Hunt, just not the way you see it.

Ivy Walker to Lucius Hunt in The Village

Prince111

• The Village

• Email
« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2009, 01:54:12 PM »

yeah the reason you get great atmosphere is the long, slow shots. Maybe you can see more in those crazy 45 cut per minute action films, but you have no sense of actually being there because it is so un-natural. With shyamalan, however, you might as well be looking in through a window, or sitting in the middle of the scene. the natural camera movements and sound are meant to make you feel like the action is happening to you, and you are feeling the emotions of the characters.

Well put

Namaste

• Personal Text
    The divine in me bows before the divine in you.
    • myspace
« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2009, 11:36:09 PM »
ty, im good at sounding like i know what im talking about  ;D  ( nah, i really have had a couple film classes, plus i absorb everything from everywhere ;x )
See the villain's larger eyes insinuating a just-off-normal perspective on how they see the world? I see signs Lucius Hunt; just not as you see dead people. I am so very happy we saw..each other, and no I will not tell you what color love is. Stop asking.

Mr_Glass.1

• Email
« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2009, 01:20:16 PM »
Lady In The Water was an amazing job by the cinematographer.  If I wasn't going to be a director, I would want to be a composer or cinematographer.

dana

« Reply #9 on: April 27, 2009, 11:38:17 PM »
"Perfection is overrated."

Mr_Glass.1

• Email
« Reply #10 on: April 28, 2009, 01:25:42 PM »
Why do you say that?

dana

« Reply #11 on: April 28, 2009, 04:34:56 PM »
It's a quote I heard once.   

dana

« Reply #12 on: May 02, 2009, 06:55:45 PM »
"wabi sabi"

Rohan

• Global Moderator

• nightwriter22
« Reply #13 on: June 12, 2009, 12:00:54 PM »
I am finally get the chance to share my part in regards to the atmosphere.

I have seen many movies old and new. The camera movement in Night movies are different. Specifically in LADY IN THE WATER - the slow camera movement from behind the branches or the shot of grass and sudden spraying of sprinklers.

The Village scene also amazes me and I feel that it is happening to me when camera shots are taken behind the bushes or tree barks.

One poster from THE VILLAGE is beautifully printed. It is shot from the CREATURES point of view of THE VILLAGE behind the branches.

And also,  a beautiful shot at the very beginning of THE VILLAGE. The Villagers standing at the funeral. It was shot from behind the villagers and in reality it is the audiences point of view also which makes us part of the villagers.

Mr_Glass.1

• Email
« Reply #14 on: June 18, 2009, 03:28:46 PM »
Yeah, Rohan, I noticed that with the opening shot of The Village, so right from the start you're drawn in.