I Think Shyamalan Is Underrated, Especially Lately

Author Topic: I Think Shyamalan Is Underrated, Especially Lately  (Read 5943 times)

Imalshen

• Futuristic (After Earth)

• Personal Text
    Originality requires breaking rules-M.N. Shyamalan
    • Crazy Caera's Demented Dreams
Re: I Think Shyamalan Is Underrated, Especially Lately
« Reply #15 on: February 22, 2010, 01:47:15 AM »
I just had a big discussion about this with one of my friends. I don't know, I feel his movies are all brilliant, but all different, and that's where the major problem is. Everyone wants him to make his movies the same ways and never let him evolve as an artist, but if you think about it, people would still be annoyed if he was just making "The 6th Sense" again and again, and call him out for doing the same thing. People just don't appreciate what they have when they have it, and we have a true genius here!

And for people who say to me they like his old movies, before he "changed", I say they're morons. Like I said, none of his movies are really the same. Yes, like you said, trufan3, they've got that atmosphere, but none of them have the same theme or story, or even genre, really. They're all slightly supernatural but that's about it. 6S was Thriller, Unbreakable: Superhero, Signs: Classic SciFi, Village: Love Story, LITW: Fairy Tale, The Happening: Satire*.

So if the only thing that's staying the same is the atmosphere, the feel of Shyamalan-ness, how can they really have "changed" at all? If you don't like storytelling, don't watch movies, because every movie Night makes has a different story and a different message. Simple as that.

And yet people still complain. I don't know what to do with them anymore.

*I say The Happening is satirical and it confuses people a lot, so I'm going to explain what I'm talking about. I think the reason people didn't catch this is because they don't teach satire enough in schools.

Satire, in case you haven't learned it yet, is a form of writing (or in this case filmmaking) where a serious issue of the generation (i.e. The Environment) is overlayed with an absurd and amusing story that higlights the issue itself. It's a very effective way to give a message because it amuses and shocks, getting the audience's attention and holding it until they think about what you say.

The perfect example is Swift's "A Modest Proposal." It's perfect example of satire (hence why we learn it in school). It's about eating babies to help with the poverty levels of the time. Horrifyingly hilarious, but about a serious issue.

Today our issue is protecting the environment. So Night makes a film with totally WTF twist-the plants are going to kill us. Really? Night himself said in an interview TH was meant as a B-Film. It's supposed to be absurd, laughable, but there's that underlying issue that our generation thinks a lot about: we really do have to do something about the environment before it's too late. We're only part of the big picture, and not necessarily the center.
There Happen to be Signs in the Village that the Unbreakable Lady in the Water has the Sixth Sense.

Mr_Glass.1

• Email
« Reply #16 on: February 22, 2010, 07:25:47 PM »
I agree with the statement about how each movie of Night's is a different genre.
I see the world Lucius Hunt, just not the way you see it.

Ivy Walker to Lucius Hunt in The Village

Imalshen

• Personal Text
    Originality requires breaking rules-M.N. Shyamalan
    • Crazy Caera's Demented Dreams
« Reply #17 on: February 24, 2010, 06:26:33 PM »
 :D It takes me ten paragraphs to explain what you say in one sentence. That's a writer for you. ;)
There Happen to be Signs in the Village that the Unbreakable Lady in the Water has the Sixth Sense.

Mr_Glass.1

• Email
« Reply #18 on: March 02, 2010, 11:00:43 AM »
Nah, it's cool, you elaborated on it a bit more then I did.  ;)
I see the world Lucius Hunt, just not the way you see it.

Ivy Walker to Lucius Hunt in The Village