Author Topic: Avatar  (Read 40105 times)

Dr Malcolm Crowe

• Global Moderator
  • Futuristic (After Earth)

• http://www.teddyblass.com
Re: Avatar
« Reply #75 on: December 20, 2009, 01:39:08 PM »
Fan-effin-tastic movie!! Saw this in IMAX 3D last night and was absolutely stunned. This is the work of a brilliant and brave filmmaker.

See this movie ASAP!!! IN 3D!!!!!! You will not be disappointed.

Rohan

• Global Moderator

• nightwriter22
« Reply #76 on: December 20, 2009, 03:55:57 PM »
Fan-effin-tastic movie!! Saw this in IMAX 3D last night and was absolutely stunned. This is the work of a brilliant and brave filmmaker.

See this movie ASAP!!! IN 3D!!!!!! You will not be disappointed.

Fan-effin-tastic movie - nice word...

steinmansbrain

• The Village

• Email
« Reply #77 on: December 20, 2009, 05:46:12 PM »
I also saw this in IMAX 3D.

It was a 3 hour train journey to the theater, 5 hours back by car.

For me, the trip was well worth it.

I can't comment on how much better the film was in IMAX 3D compared to normal 3D (or 2D for that matter) but it was soooo much more convincing than when I watched the trailers on my computer screen. (For anyone who managed to catch the "Thanator Chase" scene online - it looks infinitly better in imax.)

It was something I had never seen before and I was completely captivated by it. At times, despite my earlier skepticism, I did think it looked photo-realistic - the way the Na'vi move is incredible.

Maybe it's 'cos I'd never seen anything in IMAX before, but I was entranced, and it has lingered with me, and I'm not sure if I'm ever gonna' have as good a time at the cinema again.

However, let's come back down to Earth for a second. When I left the cinema my brother asked me what I'd give it out of 10.

I hit him with a 7. And he's hurt.

When I watch Avatar again on DVD, I fear it will only come across as a 'good' movie, not a 'great' movie.

Without the CGI, that film is nothing. That may be unfair, good acting good score good directing ect.

What I mean is that the story the plot the scipt the dialogue, these are not things I'm desperate to revisit.

And on DVD, in my house, without the 3D, without the great visuals, without the great sound, it's going to become apparent how thin Avatar is.

This is a cliched story, with cliched characters and cliched dialogue. I'm not saying it should have been done differently . This film has ASTOUNDED me.

But so did Star Wars Attack of the Clones (que laughter). No goosebumps = no good in the long term.

Go see Avatar. It's awesome. Do not wait to see it on DVD it's just not gonna' have the same affect.

P.S. I do think the end battle should have been longer. Yeah I know the film was long (long films don't really bother me, especially not in this I didn't want it to end!) but they probably could have cut down one of the flying bits (her solo flight or his solo flight) and lengthened the end battle. Maybe it just went so fast 'cos it was so good but what was there was SWEEEEET I just wanted more.

« Last Edit: December 20, 2009, 06:00:13 PM by steinmansbrain »

Namaste

• Personal Text
    The divine in me bows before the divine in you.
    • myspace
« Reply #78 on: December 24, 2009, 12:18:04 AM »
ok ill have to go see it in imax 3d (since there is a theater maybe 45 min from me), and by the way I can see clearly how thin the movie is. It seriously looks and sounds like a kids' movie, and I hope I am pleasantly suprised.
See the villain's larger eyes insinuating a just-off-normal perspective on how they see the world? I see signs Lucius Hunt; just not as you see dead people. I am so very happy we saw..each other, and no I will not tell you what color love is. Stop asking.

Rohan

• Global Moderator

• nightwriter22
« Reply #79 on: December 24, 2009, 11:05:07 AM »
ok ill have to go see it in imax 3d (since there is a theater maybe 45 min from me), and by the way I can see clearly how thin the movie is. It seriously looks and sounds like a kids' movie, and I hope I am pleasantly suprised.

Yeah in a way you can say that its a kid movie, but when you watch the whole movie and when it ends you will not feel that you just watched a kid movie. I like the hidden messages in the movie. Pretty good. Battle in the end is masterfully done. Trust me, I felt the same way and before it started I was thinking I am sitting and going to watch a kid movie...

« Last Edit: December 24, 2009, 11:12:52 AM by Rohan »

moonrise

• Personal Text
    never give up without a fight
« Reply #80 on: January 08, 2010, 11:04:01 PM »
amazing movie
saw it is just 3D because the time for imax 3D wasn't convenient (3 hour waitin the mall)

might go see it in imax 3D sometime...
hopefully when there are less crowds - i didn't like sitting in the second row
(this is the first time i see a LINE for the next showing time outside the theater - then again i've usually saw movies right before they stopped showing  ;D)

kids movie or not - can't voice my opinion here without rambling on so
all iin all, i liked the idea even though, definitly true, that the beginning wasn't entirely convincing

but obviously, worth seeing!!!!!  ;D
-who knocks at the guarded gate?
-one who has eaten the fruit and tasted its mysteries

Rohan

• Global Moderator

• nightwriter22
« Reply #81 on: January 11, 2010, 05:51:22 PM »
This is making crazy money  :o   wow and wow

Sanford

• The Avatar

• Black Lightning
    • Email
« Reply #82 on: January 11, 2010, 09:44:51 PM »
I know. I bet it'll wind up overtaking Titanic.

Mr_Glass.1

• Email
« Reply #83 on: January 14, 2010, 03:50:08 PM »
It just keeps bringing in more and more money.  I still haven't seen it, I went and saw Sherlock Holmes instead, but I am hoping to see it in Imax 3D at my theater.
I see the world Lucius Hunt, just not the way you see it.

Ivy Walker to Lucius Hunt in The Village

Rohan

• Global Moderator

• nightwriter22
« Reply #84 on: January 15, 2010, 12:55:36 PM »
It just keeps bringing in more and more money.  I still haven't seen it, I went and saw Sherlock Holmes instead, but I am hoping to see it in Imax 3D at my theater.

Watch it on big screen before its too late.

Mr_Glass.1

• Email
« Reply #85 on: January 21, 2010, 04:14:27 PM »
I'm in no hurry, this movie will be in theaters for a long time.  It's still selling out each showing at my theater.

Rohan

• Global Moderator

• nightwriter22
« Reply #86 on: January 22, 2010, 11:17:45 AM »
I'm in no hurry, this movie will be in theaters for a long time.  It's still selling out each showing at my theater.

Still No.1 on the box office....

Mr_Glass.1

• Email
« Reply #87 on: January 22, 2010, 04:13:47 PM »
It's closing in on the all time record for worldwide.

Rohan

• Global Moderator

• nightwriter22
« Reply #88 on: January 22, 2010, 08:39:59 PM »
It's closing in on the all time record for worldwide.

I would give at least some of the earnings for HAITI.

Mr_Glass.1

• Email
« Reply #89 on: January 25, 2010, 04:23:52 PM »
I doubt that will happen.