Shutter Island:Whatever happend to patient 67?

Author Topic: Shutter Island:Whatever happend to patient 67?  (Read 17148 times)

shinchan

• The Village

Re: Shutter Island:Whatever happend to patient 67?
« Reply #45 on: July 18, 2010, 08:22:43 AM »
i saw shutter island too,one question....in the end is andrew sane(i mean back to reality ) or he just reset and back to his make belief???
pardon my english :)

Rohan

• Global Moderator
  • Futuristic (After Earth)

• nightwriter22
« Reply #46 on: July 18, 2010, 10:34:46 PM »
i saw shutter island too,one question....in the end is andrew sane(i mean back to reality ) or he just reset and back to his make belief???

If you think about Teddy Danniels/Andrew Laeddis, he is a crazy man. He has lost his mind. He is living in a very sad world. His world is surrounded by some harsh and emotional memories. Andrew Laeddis has made up the character TEDDY DANNIELS in his brain and he's been living and acting as Teddy Danniels who is a U.S. Marshal. If you remember at the end in the lighthouse he is confronted by Dr.Sheehan/Chuck and Dr. Crawley. Then Andrew suddenly snaps out of it and realizes that he is the one who shot his wife after she drowned the children in the lake. That's why he answers Dr.Crawley's questions accurately that he killed his wife because she drowned their kids.

Dr. Crawley tells Andrew that he has broken through the dilusions before, but always has always came back.

Later, Andrew is sitting on the steps at the end. Then Dr. Sheehan joins him, too. At this scene, Andrew Laedis is pretending as crazy. He is pretending to be crazy because he wants to be lobotomized. He asks Dr. Sheehan "Is it better to die a good man or to live as a monster". Andrew doesn't want to live knowing that he killed his wife. He doesn't want to live with the facts because he is the one ultimately responsible for her killing their children. If you remember earlier in the movie Andrew says "he knew something was wrong with her but he ignored it".

In the end he rises and walks with the guards and movie finishes. He is living in two worlds, but sadly he cannot just live as Teddy Daniels. A U.S Marshal came to the island to help find a missing patient.

shinchan

• The Village

« Reply #47 on: July 19, 2010, 02:22:20 AM »
yeah...i was right then...thanks Rohan... ;D

Rohan

• Global Moderator

• nightwriter22
« Reply #48 on: July 19, 2010, 07:41:08 PM »
yeah...i was right then...thanks Rohan... ;D

;D - I actually watched it again last night after finished typing the above long paragraph for you.

shinchan

• The Village

« Reply #49 on: July 20, 2010, 04:06:13 AM »
hihihi...its still the same conclusion or u hv different opinion ???

Rohan

• Global Moderator

• nightwriter22
« Reply #50 on: July 20, 2010, 11:21:05 PM »
hihihi...its still the same conclusion or u hv different opinion ???

No other opinion. He must accept the reality, but seems like he will not do it. He still thinks that he is Teddy. Actually, at the very end they show the lighthouse again. I was thinking may be took him again into the lighthouse. He had a special bed set up there.