Confirmed by the show's editor: Characters were designed to be Asian.

Author Topic: Confirmed by the show's editor: Characters were designed to be Asian.  (Read 6451 times)

Leggy

• Futuristic (After Earth)

• Personal Text
    Appa! Yip! Yip!
It's been a huge disappointment to hear about the casting for Avatar's live-action movie. The show was heavily influenced by Asian culture, some of the characters were even modeled after Asian members of the crew. But now, with the pre-dominantly white cast, it feels like all the Asian/Eastern influences, origins, what have you, were just a backdrop for these characters. But I always believed they were Asian, or even mixed Asian. And that belief added a little extra pride in working on such a great show. The appreciation Mike & Bryan had for Asian culture, the interest it generated in the fans, gave ME greater appreciation for my own culture.

So it's just hard to believe they couldn't find one Asian actor to hold any of the lead protagonist parts. Not one? This film is going to feel like some other Avatar story.

- Dao Le, Animatic Editor, Avatar: The Last Airbender

This is a letter sent to racebending.com by the Animatic Editor of the show Avatar: The Last Airbender. For those who were looking for evidence that the characters on the show were INTENDED to be Asian, this is the most definitive proof given to date.

First posted here:
http://community.livejournal.com/racebending/84553.html

shadowbender

Re: Confirmed by the show's editor: Characters were designed to be Asian.
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2009, 01:39:17 PM »
Well, thanks Leggy, but notice they said only some of them were intended to be Asian.

Alana1991

« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2009, 02:33:08 PM »
Thanks for sharing. :)

What dissapointed me is that they just didn't bother with the time to find anyone who resembled the characters at all, Asian or not. It's bull for them to insinuate they are exact copies of the characters and were the best they could find out of the so many millions of teens in America. I realize they have professional experience, but come on. They didn't try that hard. I hope their acting is good.

Leggy

• Personal Text
    Appa! Yip! Yip!
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2009, 04:47:02 PM »
Well, thanks Leggy, but notice they said only some of them were intended to be Asian.

Actually, it says that some of the characters were modeled after Asian crew members. an even Sifu Kisu (martial arts consultant) said that Aang was modeled after his son who is half Chinese and whatever Kisu is. 

Project 86

• The Sixth Sense

• Email
« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2009, 07:46:38 PM »
i have no problem you know why this is called an Americanization of a property like the film The Departed it was an American take on a Hong Kong crime trilogy called Infernal Affairs.No one complained they changed it from Chinese to Americans Hong Kong to Boston. It was changed and done well with respecting its source material and even bettered it.

no to mention that film won Oscars lol not bad for  an american take on an Asian property

« Last Edit: August 02, 2009, 07:50:47 PM by Project 86 »

Namaste

• Personal Text
    The divine in me bows before the divine in you.
    • myspace
« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2009, 11:11:26 PM »
Avatar isn't asian property though. It's american, made by americans in america with certain aspects intended to be asian. I doubt asian culture (especially traditional asian culture) played a large role in the movie The Departed. Traditional asian culture does, however, play a significant role in the Avatar series, and can't be effectively removed.
See the villain's larger eyes insinuating a just-off-normal perspective on how they see the world? I see signs Lucius Hunt; just not as you see dead people. I am so very happy we saw..each other, and no I will not tell you what color love is. Stop asking.

AIR NOMAD

« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2009, 07:37:32 PM »
I hope this doesn't turn into another Dragonball Evolution, (The choice of actors definitely wasn't the only thing wrong with that movie! The story and the changes were aweful!) 
Sadly, theres nothing that can be done at this point (for the first film, at least), but I also think it would be a bad move to recast for the second movie.  The producers should have put more faith and work into their script rather than rely on Jackson Rathbone and Dev Patel to rake in the cash

Alana1991

« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2009, 09:38:31 PM »
Agreed AN.

It's a no win situation unfortunately. They need to pull an Incredible Hulk, wait a couple years and re-do it. :p

Namaste

• Personal Text
    • myspace
« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2009, 12:44:33 AM »
Yeah, I gotta go with AN and Alana  ;x
See the villain's larger eyes insinuating a just-off-normal perspective on how they see the world? I see signs Lucius Hunt; just not as you see dead people. I am so very happy we saw..each other, and no I will not tell you what color love is. Stop asking.

shadowbender

« Reply #9 on: August 05, 2009, 05:30:27 PM »
Agreed AN.

It's a no win situation unfortunately. They need to pull an Incredible Hulk, wait a couple years and re-do it. :p

That is exactly what I was thinking.

Kuzon

• Personal Text
    Me withOUT hair...
« Reply #10 on: August 05, 2009, 06:03:01 PM »
Wow, I've had a long week... :-/

I had the opportunity to stay at a Buddhist temple in west Virginia for a few days (youth retreat) and what I learned there made me kind of worried about the authenticity of the movie... We were taught some yoga (back hurts now) and how to meditate which was really cool but I learned that the colors that the monks wear are supposed to remind them of their mortality (like leaves in the fall) but aang was wearing a costume practically golden in color so idk :-X...
-----------------------------------------------------------

Earlier this week I blacked out while I was walking up the stairs, I ended up falling and hurting my wrist but I'm fine now... + this morning I was riding my bike, one of the brake cables went loose and got caught in the pedal while I was going down hill, I ended up crashing into a guard rail and now my hip and chest hurts... :'(

I feel like I'm in one of those movies where "death" is coming after me! :o
ジャクソン

Alana1991

« Reply #11 on: August 05, 2009, 06:06:26 PM »
Oh no Kuzon! D: Hope your okay. :(

Kuzon

• Personal Text
    Me withOUT hair...
« Reply #12 on: August 05, 2009, 06:22:55 PM »
I'm good, luckily there was no blood. I'm just hoping that there isn't anything serious internally cause I gotta watch over some kids tomorrow for their camp. (I'm helping out with a photography class for 4th 5th and 6th graders)

it's kind of funny cause there were quite a few white monks! :D
ジャクソン

Namaste

• Personal Text
    • myspace
« Reply #13 on: August 06, 2009, 02:32:29 PM »
Kuzon: Final Destination  :o   are you wearing your monk colors? lol Keep in mind that in the 6th sense, there is something RED in the scene everytime dead people are about to interact with the living. Did you notice that in the village the red and yellow of the monks are the two most prominent colors?

btw, I dunno about you, but where I live there are a lot of golden leaves in the fall. (what color will you be wearing when YOU fall?)
« Last Edit: August 06, 2009, 03:08:05 PM by Namaste »

Kuzon

• Personal Text
    Me withOUT hair...
« Reply #14 on: August 06, 2009, 05:12:52 PM »
No, but now I gotta watch it again just to see! Now that I think about it, I was wearing a maroon shirt with a bunch of skulls on it... :D

your right about that; + the movie monks wore basically the same thing as the real ones so...
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

news update, I was able to help the kids at the camp today... We put together a slideshow for tomorrow
so we'll see how that goes.

I'm still kinda achy, today after camp some of my friends were rough housing with eachother, not everyone knew what happened yesterday and one of them punched me right where I fell on the rail! :(

I was bringing my camera to the camp to show the kids an "old fashoned" camera... It's now officially lost, along with all of my film and photography from the past year!!! :'( :'( :'( ireally hope I can get it back...
ジャクソン