To think

Author Topic: To think  (Read 2402 times)

Shaughn

• Praying with Anger

• Email
To think
« on: October 25, 2009, 02:28:27 PM »
Just caught the last 35 min of The visitor on The space Chanel up here in Canada. It was a joy to watch it yet again. I just love this film. I really don't care about popular opinion of this piece of work. I joined this forum as a result of my emotional affect from this film. Ivy Walker, wow, what an incredible metaphor for how i look at my own place in society. I am Blind to what is happening around me yet intelligent enough to know that something has to be done when something is wrong. I don't know what to do. I am painfully ignorant to the world around me. I have been pummeled my whole life with false restrictions and yet I have an innate sense of what is right and what is worth fighting for. This masterpiece of a film, identifies these issues and portrays both the vulnerabilities of protagonist and antagonist beautifully. None of us truly know where we are going or what we are supposed to be doing.

Poor Noah Percy...the villain yet not. That quest for individuality and sense of displacement is something so few are willing to conceptualize let alone try to deal with. I miss the point of his obsession...I admit, that will take much further analysis, yet I do understand his import in the Ideal society....it is a fantasy. It is almost against human nature. We are born flawed creatures. To ascribe perfection to humanity is ludicrous. The goal is ludicrous. So what are the Villagers ascribing to? What is the purpose of the Village? It is truly cowardice. It is counter human to try and live in such an environment. We are predators. Canines, intelligence, our eyes face forward.... we are predators.

Social predators have a place in nature, it isn't unprecedented. But we are predators. So was Noah evil? was he even wrong? Is the whole concept of the Village wrong? I am not qualified to judge. All i wish to say is that Mr. Shyamalan has masterfully created a scenario in which we can explore these wondrous issues. And this is only a small small small dialogue of this film. I can't even begin to start thinking about Lady in the water or Unbreakable or Signs or any of the other thought provoking films.

Thank you for you genius Mr. Shyamalan. You make me think.

Sincerely

Shaughn

Rohan

• Global Moderator
  • Futuristic (After Earth)

• nightwriter22
Re: To think
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2009, 03:13:08 PM »
Welcome to the forums Shaughn,

I have to agree in what you just stated in your posting above. THE VILLAGE is beautifully written and directed from the heart. I don't know how some people cannot understand the concept and idea of the story. To think about it carefully, it is just an normal story and characters. The most important
part of the story is that there is innocence in it. There is peace in every corner of the village and to make it a little bit complicated and add a twist M.Night simply added creatures and their deed of evil shown by regular signs in every corner of the village and to make it more darker there is a secret in every villagers houses.

Think of an painter who is painting a beautiful and peacefull village or a town and then in the meantime at the borders he paints a wolf coming towards the town. It is simple, yet very meaningful.

All M.Night films are challenging. To tell you the truth that's why I have dedicated a special page on Facebook about his films and his stories. If you wish to join and discuss with great fans there as well - join us.

http://www.facebook.com/pages/MNight-Films/27783486426?v=app_2373072738&ref=nf#/pages/MNight-Films/27783486426?v=wall&ref=nf

Namaste

• Personal Text
    The divine in me bows before the divine in you.
    • myspace
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2009, 09:08:33 PM »
Yeah, I'll be writing a 10-page analysis of The Village someday when I have time.  ;x
See the villain's larger eyes insinuating a just-off-normal perspective on how they see the world? I see signs Lucius Hunt; just not as you see dead people. I am so very happy we saw..each other, and no I will not tell you what color love is. Stop asking.

Rohan

• Global Moderator

• nightwriter22
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2009, 01:15:01 PM »
Yeah, I'll be writing a 10-page analysis of The Village someday when I have time.  ;x

Are you serious?

Erik

• Personal Text
    d'oh!
« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2009, 07:21:10 AM »
Namaste...The Village...

I'd say he's serious! ;)
We can breath in space,
they just don't want us to escape...

Namaste

• Personal Text
    The divine in me bows before the divine in you.
    • myspace
« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2009, 11:19:06 PM »
Yes, I'm serious lol
See the villain's larger eyes insinuating a just-off-normal perspective on how they see the world? I see signs Lucius Hunt; just not as you see dead people. I am so very happy we saw..each other, and no I will not tell you what color love is. Stop asking.

Rohan

• Global Moderator

• nightwriter22
« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2009, 01:14:26 AM »

Mr_Glass.1

• Email
« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2010, 04:21:55 PM »
He's definitely serious.  I also think that The Village was about the elders thinking that sin is a societal problem, not one within us, but Noah Percy proved them wrong.
I see the world Lucius Hunt, just not the way you see it.

Ivy Walker to Lucius Hunt in The Village