Gibson, DiCaprio Conquer Viking Genre

Author Topic: Gibson, DiCaprio Conquer Viking Genre  (Read 8833 times)

Mr_Glass.1

• Futuristic (After Earth)

• Email
Re: Gibson, DiCaprio Conquer Viking Genre
« Reply #30 on: February 15, 2010, 03:46:39 PM »
Very much so.
I see the world Lucius Hunt, just not the way you see it.

Ivy Walker to Lucius Hunt in The Village

Rohan

• Global Moderator

• nightwriter22
« Reply #31 on: March 14, 2010, 07:41:53 PM »
Mel Gibson Thinking About Hanging It Up

Could it be the end of the road for Mel Gibson? Certainly, he doesn't need to work. He had enough money (and islands) before The Passion of the Christ made him incredibly wealthy, and he still has enough even though he recently split from his wife of some 30 years. He recently spoke to The Los Angeles Times about an upcoming project and hinted rather strongly that the fire may be out after that.

Could it be the end of the road for Mel Gibson? Certainly, he doesn't need to work. He had enough money (and islands) before The Passion of the Christ made him incredibly wealthy, and he still has enough even though he recently split from his wife of some 30 years. He recently spoke to The Los Angeles Times about an upcoming project and hinted rather strongly that the fire may be out after that.

Of a new Viking epic he will direct with Leonardo DiCaprio in the lead role, Gibson said, ?It was the first movie I ever thought about making. I saw it in my mind back when I was teenager. Seriously, it?s the first movie I wanted to make," adding, "And I think it will be the last film I direct. It?s the thing I have been going toward, in a way, since I was young, and I think when it?s done I may be finished.?

Whether or not that's idle chatter is hard to gauge. After all, Gibson didn't make movies for a few years after his public image took a hit for a DUI arrest and comments that were allegedly made at that time. I don't think Mel handled the situation very well at all in press stops for Edge of Darkness, acting almost as if it never happened or that people shouldn't be allowed to change their minds about him because of his (words and) actions.

More than that, though, was Gibson's admission that he really didn't feel much of a connection to the process when he stepped in front of cameras for the first time in nearly a decade. It probably won't help get Gibson back into acting full-time that Darkness lost money. He's got a couple other projects he's signed onto as an actor or an actor-director, but it wouldn't surprise me if he really bows out here.

However, when you listen to how much he seems invested in this project, maybe he can keep finding projects that attract him this much:

"We're going hammer and tongs on the script right now. When I was 16, learning about the history of the English language I became fascinated with Vikings. And I imagined what they would sound like, how would they talk and that?s what I will be going for in this film. It?s a challenge though. There's never been a good Viking film, not that I've seen. I think I have found the right way to get into it, though, but I don?t want to say too much. The real problem is making those guys sympathetic. They were monsters."

Producer Graham King adds that the film, which will be written by William Monahan, "isn?t about superheroes,? a reference to the upcoming Thor. "This movie will be quite serious and very much for grown-ups.?

But will it be the curtain call for Mad Mel?

Mr_Glass.1

• Email
« Reply #32 on: March 16, 2010, 08:11:19 AM »
I wish he wouldn't stop, but if he wants to, that's his decision.  Maybe with this viking film being his last it will be a superb film.
I see the world Lucius Hunt, just not the way you see it.

Ivy Walker to Lucius Hunt in The Village

Rohan

• Global Moderator

• nightwriter22
« Reply #33 on: March 16, 2010, 10:21:38 AM »
I wish he wouldn't stop, but if he wants to, that's his decision.  Maybe with this viking film being his last it will be a superb film.

I think that's just talk. Mel won't stop directing. I hope not. I think he is one of the best directors ever. To be honest he makes lots of directors in shame when he comes with a movie. He basically comes with a BANG. HERE is my work.....