Gibson, DiCaprio Conquer Viking Genre

Author Topic: Gibson, DiCaprio Conquer Viking Genre  (Read 8949 times)

Rohan

• Global Moderator
  • Futuristic (After Earth)

• nightwriter22
Gibson, DiCaprio Conquer Viking Genre
« on: December 14, 2009, 11:13:04 AM »
Mel Gibson will direct and Leonardo DiCaprio will star in an untitled period drama set in the world of Viking culture. William Monahan is writing the script.

Graham King will produce with Gibson and Tim Headington in a co-production between King?s GK Films and Gibson?s Icon Productions. Shooting is expected to begin fall, 2010, meaning that if everything falls into place, it would be the next directing effort for Gibson.

There is no distributor at the moment, but Gibson and King often make their films outside the studio system and secure distribution later.

The principals confirmed the project but would not divulge many details. DiCaprio, who has long been fascinated by Viking culture, will play one in a storyline that will be as unsparing as Gibson?s other period directing efforts ?Braveheart,? ?The Passion of the Christ? and ?Apocalypto.?

The connective tissue is King.

The producer teamed with DiCaprio and Monahan in the Oscar-winning drama ?The Departed,? and just worked with Gibson and Monahan in the Martin Campbell-directed drama ?Edge of Darkness.? King also just produced Monahan?s directorial debut, ?London Boulevard,? the Monahan-scripted adaptation of the Ken Bruen novel, with Colin Farrell and Keira Knightley starring. 

The Viking film will be DiCaprio?s first picture with Gibson.

?This will be an awe-inspiring story, created with some of the industry?s finest cinematic talent and I am just over the moon to be making this film with Mel, Leo and Bill,? King said in a statement after the principals confirmed the project to Daily Variety. 

Aside from ?London Boulevard,? King and his GK Films just completed ?The Rum Diary? with Johnny Depp and Aaron Eckhart and the Emily Blunt-starrer ?The Young Victoria,? latter of which is being released this month by Bob Berney?s Apparition.

DiCaprio will likely take a film before putting on the Viking horns. He just completed the Christopher Nolan-directed ?Inception? for Warner Bros., and will next be seen in the Martin Scorsese-directed ?Shutter Island,? which Paramount releases February 19. Gibson just completed the Jodie Foster-directed ?The Beaver.?

Gibson and Monahan are repped by WME, DiCaprio by Rick Yorn and Jennifer Killoran.

---------------

It doesn't get any exciting than this news. I am already excited.

Mr_Glass.1

• Email
Re: Gibson, DiCaprio Conquer Viking Genre
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2010, 04:09:33 PM »
Hmm, sounds interesting.  Leonardo DiCaprio is a good actor.
I see the world Lucius Hunt, just not the way you see it.

Ivy Walker to Lucius Hunt in The Village

Rohan

• Global Moderator

• nightwriter22
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2010, 03:14:25 PM »
Hmm, sounds interesting.  Leonardo DiCaprio is a good actor.

And Gibson is a great director...  ;D

marco

• Personal Text
    "Look! A circle!" - "Yeah...what's the problem?"
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2010, 07:57:15 AM »
Totally agree.Gibson is a superb director.I like that he takes his time before making a new movie: the results are always great.Waiting for this.
"Welcome to The Cove"

Rohan

• Global Moderator

• nightwriter22
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2010, 03:48:41 PM »
Gibson and Dicaprio together screams for oscars. I hope they release the movie in award season.

Mr_Glass.1

• Email
« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2010, 03:58:14 PM »
I have a feeling they will, that's the type of movie that rakes in cash and still gets awards.

marco

• Personal Text
« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2010, 08:45:48 AM »
Mmm...I don't think Hollywood could be interested in something made by Gibson.At least,till now,I havent' seen any interests...
"Welcome to The Cove"

Rohan

• Global Moderator

• nightwriter22
« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2010, 11:38:42 AM »
Mmm...I don't think Hollywood could be interested in something made by Gibson.At least,till now,I havent' seen any interests...

I hope that you are joking  ;D

- Mel Gibson is a great actor and a director as well. He has 3 best movies ever made on his resume as an director. Trust me, he really puts most of the directors to shame whenever he makes a movie. And speaking of HOLLYWOOD, guys like MEL GIBSON is Hollywood. He is unique person, filmmaker, writer, actor and accompolished pretty much everything. He is a legend. And I am not saying this cause I am a big fan of him, but it's the truth and the fact. He is also miss understood.

The following is from his latest interview I took from comingsoon.net and talks about his next movie with Leo.D.

-

Q: Mel, what's left that you want to accomplish?Gibson: I'm working with Graham [King] here on the Viking movie. The very first idea I ever had about making a film and about ever my first thought of ever being a filmmaker was sixteen years old and I wanted to make a Viking movie. And I wanted to make it in Old Norse which I was studying at the time, okay. It's odd because at that age, you're like, "Well, that's a stupidly ridiculous idea. How will I ever be a filmmaker? That's a dumb idea. It's just some kind of romantic pipe dream." But that was the first big, epic, wacky idea was to show Viking real.
Winston: I thought you said a f***ing movie.
Gibson: It's actually not very different. You get to see another country get f***ed.

Q: Does that mean the Viking movie will be in English or Old Norse?
Gibson: I think it's going to be in English, the English that would've been spoken back then and Old Norse, whatever the ninth century had to offer. I'm going to give you real, man.

Q: Is that really important to you, like "The Passion"?
Gibson: Yeah, I want a Viking to scare you. I don't want a Viking to say, "I'm gonna die with a sword in my hand." I don't want to hear that. It just takes all the... it pulls the rug out from under. I want to see somebody who I've never seen before speaking low, guttural German who scares the living sh*t out of you, coming up to my house. What is that like? What would that have been like?

Q: How hard will that be to cast, apart from Leo?
Gibson: Oh, he'll be amazing. He'll be amazing. He's a great actor this kid.

Q: Are you a documentarian of the past?
Gibson: I guess so. I like that. I do like history. Oh, I love it and I like trying to imagine what it was like, especially if we don't have a clear picture on what it was, trying to imagine what it was like. Maybe romanticize it, make it compelling for film. Maybe even push it a little over the top. It's just a question of choices.

Mr_Glass.1

• Email
« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2010, 04:04:55 PM »
He's not exactly the most articulate guy.

Rohan

• Global Moderator

• nightwriter22
« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2010, 08:35:08 PM »
He's not exactly the most articulate guy.

I'm confused.

marco

• Personal Text
« Reply #10 on: January 23, 2010, 06:46:27 AM »
Till now,his movies didn't receive any awards (I'm talking about him directing),except for Braveheart.
Nowadays,Gibson is not well-seen,I'm afraid.
Let's see how critics react to this,maybe it's the right movie to get some awards.
"Welcome to The Cove"

Rohan

• Global Moderator

• nightwriter22
« Reply #11 on: January 23, 2010, 12:37:06 PM »
The reason he didn't get any awards, for he was ignored. THE PASSION deserves Oscar in every category. Acting, directing, make up, visual, music, art, cinematography, costume, set designing.

Apocalypto as well deserves awards, but they never gave him. I don't know why.

Mr_Glass.1

• Email
« Reply #12 on: January 25, 2010, 04:17:19 PM »
What I meant was, that either the person who copied the interview made mistakes, or Mel Gibson doesn't speak very clearly.

Rohan

• Global Moderator

• nightwriter22
« Reply #13 on: January 25, 2010, 05:26:12 PM »
What I meant was, that either the person who copied the interview made mistakes, or Mel Gibson doesn't speak very clearly.

I pasted half that interview from comingsoon.net and in way Mel Gibson talks wierd. Broken awards. Looks like he is always in hurry.

Mr_Glass.1

• Email
« Reply #14 on: January 26, 2010, 03:49:54 PM »
Yeah, that's what I was commenting about, even on one of the questions he didn't answer, he just said something else.