Promised Set Report

Author Topic: Promised Set Report  (Read 19970 times)

• Praying with Anger

• Email
Re: Promised Set Report
« Reply #45 on: March 19, 2010, 02:27:23 PM »
Thank you Kuzon. Ugh I am anxiously waiting for the next set update

Rohan

• Global Moderator
  • Futuristic (After Earth)

• nightwriter22
« Reply #46 on: March 20, 2010, 01:59:05 PM »
Thanks for all the updates.  I was going to ask you this the other day - are you allowed to take pictures on the sets or not?

pauf2

• Wide Awake

« Reply #47 on: March 22, 2010, 06:41:14 AM »
Hi everyone. I'm sorry for the delay, but I'm really busy at the moment, so I think I'll be able to post the rest by the end of the week. About the pictures: no, they make you sign those things that say you're not allowed to record anything during the production, not allowed to take anything home, etc.
The only people who, as far as I know, took pictures or took props home, were set visitors.
I also heard that there's been a roundtable meeting/discussion with Night and some fans? I think that's one of the first steps they make to promote the film: first the teaser trailer, to tease everyone, then the second trailer(s) and then it starts raining interviews, official images of the film and behind the scenes videos.

See you soon!

Rohan

• Global Moderator
  • Futuristic (After Earth)

• nightwriter22
« Reply #48 on: March 22, 2010, 10:55:44 AM »
Cool.  Keep us updated.  You are doing a good contribution I will personally recommend a medal of honor for you  ;D

I am waiting for the trailer.  Can't wait.

pauf2

• Wide Awake

« Reply #49 on: April 04, 2010, 06:55:30 AM »
First of all, happy easter, everyone! I've finally found some time to update you all. And as I said, the first trailer and the roundtable discussion with Night, was the beginning of the whole marketing campaign. They're now giving away more and more info and footage of the movie.

As promised, I'll give you a report on what I've seen from the Blue Spirit-part. The part introduces a nice set and new set piece: Zhao's Fire Nation fortress. It's just this big, stone tower with some basis decorations, surrounded by walls, and within the walls there are these small stone buildings. On a balcony, overseeing the square, Zhao gives his speech about victory and the capture of the Avatar (I don't know what happened before this part or how the Avatar was captured, I think that's been filmed somewhere else). We reshot his speech, because I was a little ... overacted the first time. There are hundreds of soldiers listening to his speech, while the Blue Spirit (Prince Zuko) sneaks in. He comes down from the roof (the stand-in for Dev Patel was very flexible, so the Blue Spirit looked like a ninja in black) and enters the tower. In his way to the room where Aang's hold, he assassinates (? la Assassins Creed) two guards. He enters the room, and cuts Aang's chains with his double swords, then they escape the premises. Their 'way-out-sequence' is done very nicely. The actors were attached to wires to they could do some pretty awesome moves as they jumped down the roofs, climbed down the walls. There was some green screen involved, so I think Aang also uses Airbending to escape. As they're discovered, the Fire Nation soldiers march out towards the great gates, where they run into Aang and his savior. Aang Airbends huge numbers of soldiers out of the way, in their way to the gates. They are surrounded by soldiers, and fight back to back, side by side. The Blue Spirit with his sword, Aang with his staff Airbending. Great teamwork. Very long sequence to shoot, because Night wanted it done in one take. But they don't make it, and the Firebenders fire huge amounts of Fire at them ... but that's unable to penetrate Aang's protective air-sphere he produces. Zhao appears, and commands them to hold fire (ironic). As he says the Avatar must be captured alive, TBS threathens to kill Aang, and in pure despair, Zhao demands the gates to be opened. TBS and Aang slowly walk away, TBS with his swords around Aangs neck. But then he says something to his commander about some kick-ass archers. That's where the fortress-part, so I think the 'outside the walls' part was shot somewhere on location or in another studio.

The fight scenes of Noah Ringer and Dev Patel (who did play TBS in all the others scenes, except for the climbing and jumping parts), where fenomenal. Their fighting 'met' and there was this great balance between the physical fighting (swords and martial arts) and the (Air)bending.

Do you have more questions, go ahead and ask! And I wish you all a happy easter!

thaisnight

• Praying with Anger

« Reply #50 on: April 04, 2010, 08:12:36 AM »
Happy Easter to you too!
Wow. So the TBS part is indeed awesome. XD

Do you happen to know when they will really start to release some sneak peek footage online or something like that? I'm so excited to see something new.  ;D

Project 86

• The Sixth Sense

• Email
« Reply #51 on: April 04, 2010, 12:17:33 PM »
nice info do you have any idea how the Zuko/Katara spirit Oasis fight scene went

pauf2

• Wide Awake

« Reply #52 on: April 04, 2010, 01:19:04 PM »
I don't know anything about the marketing process, but as I said, the trailer I've seen will probably be released very soon, because there wasn't that much that needed to be added (just some more bending and other SFX).

But, I've to mention, that there's a high possibility not everything I've shot and seen in the studios will make it into the movie. I think that normally, only 80% of what they shoot will be in the movie.

The scenes I've shot were primarily the larger scale parts, so I think this Spirit Oasis was shot at the other departments. But, I definetely heard of a big CGI Bending Battle between Nicola Peltz and Dev Patel, so it will probably be in the movie (don't rely on this, because I can't confirm anything). I could ask one of my colleagues. And I still have to ask my colleague about what he's shot in Greenland and the quarry (outdoor stuff). I'll try to update you as soon as possible!!
« Last Edit: April 05, 2010, 05:42:53 AM by pauf2 »

Project 86

• The Sixth Sense

• Email
« Reply #53 on: April 04, 2010, 01:35:33 PM »
cool you have any other scene descriptions of stuff you have shot?

pauf2

• Wide Awake

« Reply #54 on: April 05, 2010, 06:19:42 AM »
I've just mailed my colleague, here's what he told me about the outdoor shooting (unfortunately he isn't as detailed about I was):

[...]

around may or june, i think, we did some shooting in bucks county at a huge quarry. here we shot an occupied earth village part. the main characters discover this imprisoned village/camp within a rock quarry. it had a very natural look, just rock and sand (some planting), some fugitive-alike tents with primitive furniture, surrounded by high walls of rock. it was quite hot in there because the heat of the sun had nowhere to go. fire nation watchtowers had a perfect view of the occupied camp. before the main characters are discovered by the fire nation, they meet up with this boy. he tells them they have nowhere to go, because the fire nation has got a complete hold on them. but aang inspires them, and causes this riot. the earthbending boy resists, and uses his earthbending to fight the fire soldiers. there's this battle, in which all the earthbenders fight for their freedom.

[...]

in greenland we shot some village scenes, of the primitive water village and the 'fishing trip' of sohka and katata. some random shots including the brother and sister, but the most things we've shot were the aang-discovery on this 'ice plain', and the arrival and confrontation of prince zuko. they capture aang. unlike the quarry, it was freezing cold.

[...]

Hope you've a clear image of what that scenes will look like!

• Praying with Anger

• Email
« Reply #55 on: April 05, 2010, 11:37:51 AM »
Hey still some good info thanks man!

pauf2

• Wide Awake

« Reply #56 on: April 07, 2010, 04:07:01 AM »
Yesterday I asked my colleague about this Spirit Oasis battle you've been talking about. He gave me something I would never have dared to 'steal' from the set, but he apparently did, along with some other parts he had been filming. I can't give you a exact copy of the page, because there are names and information on it, but here's something I can give you:

Just then, an enchanting glow illuminates both his eyes and the arrow
tattoos on his hands and head.

PRINCESS YUE
Is he all right?

KATARA
He crossing into the Spirit World.
He?ll be fine as long as we don?t
move his body. That?s his only way
back to the physical world.

PRINCESS YUE
Are you sure it?s safe?

KATARA
Believe me, I?m perfectly capable of
protecting him.

ZUKO (O.S.)
Don?t be too sure about that.

Behind them stands ZUKO, lurking in the shadows of the underpass as a
cloaked and hooded figure. As he steps into the light he removes his hood
to reveal his face, and his cloak to free his arms.

Yue flees into the underpass, while Zuko prepares himself for a fight. He
closes his eyes, complete focus and control, then draws a CIRCLE OF FIRE
around him.

ZUKO
Hand him over and I won?t have to
hurt you.

KATARA
I won?t let you take him.

ZUKO
Have it your way.

With a dramatic scream, Zuko sends a FIRE BLAST from the burning ground
towards Katara. She summons a big wave from the pool, blocking his attack.

Zuko kicks and punches more fire at Katara, but is unable to break through
her impenetrable shields of water.

But then, Katara transforms the water within the pool into a VAST
WALL OF OPAQUE WATER that surrounds her opponent. Covering him like a cocoon of
molten glass. Then the mass freezes, forming an sphere of luminous ice
around him. EVERYTHING GOES SILENT.

KATARA
I see you?ve finally mastered your
element ? so did I.

Katara looks up as the RED GLOW OF THE RISING SUN shines upon her face. THE
SOUND OF CRACKING ICE. Cracks appears in the frozen sphere and branch out.

With a DEFEANING BLASTS, it explodes when a fire appears within. Zuko steps
out of his icy prison, ready for combat once again.

ZUKO
You rise with the moon, I rise with
the sun.

I don't want to get myself or my colleague in trouble, and we're risking our jobs a little bit, so I may not be online for a couple of weeks, but after that, I'll give you another clear update about what I've been doing in the last part of the production of the Last Airbender. Oh, and btw, the script is just a guideline, especially action sequence are much longer and better in the movies, because those things are mostly plotted out during the filming and post-production itself.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2010, 04:37:21 AM by pauf2 »

Project 86

• The Sixth Sense

• Email
« Reply #57 on: April 07, 2010, 05:36:56 AM »
sweet so how are the reshoots going

• Praying with Anger

• Email
« Reply #58 on: April 07, 2010, 12:02:33 PM »
That sounds pretty awesome! Thanks for risking your job for these updates man.

pauf2

• Wide Awake

« Reply #59 on: April 16, 2010, 04:01:25 AM »
Hi, there. Last week the guys of ILM (VFX Department) gave us some kind of behind-the-scenes first look at some awesome bending part they've been working on since the beginning of the production. It was shown to a small group, including some Paramount guys.

I was really mesmerized by both the firebending and earthbending, it looked so realistic. It reminded me of this episode of Time Warp (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WrronYM9eCs): the fire moves itself through the air as if it ignites this invisible fuel, causing it to swirl and whirl. The furious 'bursts' of fire is just fire coming from a flamethrower, but the bender is able to control it's directions etc. The fire also has this very nice flamethrowe soaring sround.

I wasn't blown away by the waterbending, because most of the times it looked quite unnatural to me. Just this solid translucent 'snake' with some water dripping of the sides. They did have some pretty cool parts where the waterbenders of the North Pole use it as all the weapons imaginable: swords (not holding the water as a sword of course), nunchucks, whips and throwing knifes (icycles).

The eartbending did look cool. The few moment we see it in the movie, will be a huge tease and make you want to see the sequel (in which it will be the 'dominant' element, as they told us). The earthbending in the first movie is just the basic stuff: throwing rocks and summoning them to throw enemies of their feet and to use it as a shield. It's really realistic because as the stone rises from the earth, sand falls off and stuff. The Kyoshi Warriors use their fans and athletic moves to just throw rocks, while the Earthbenders use it to transform the environment (as I said, shields and boulders).

The airbending wasn't that stunning, but it definetely looks realistic. It actually looks like the steam that comes from your hot cup of tea: at the bottom it is thick and vast, and then it evaporates in thin air. That kind of Airbending is mostly used during the fighting. You also have the almost invisible Airbending that he uses to fly and stuff.

They also showed us some great interaction between some elements, which was the nicest thing to see. Air works out the nicest when it interacts with Fire, so they showed us this 30 second sequence of Zuko and Aang fighting in a storageroom, focusing on the bending. The Fire evaporates immediatly as it comes in contact with the Airbending.

The interaction between Fire and Water could/should have been better. It's just the evaporation of the Water (including lots of spatters) when it is hit by Fire, and the Fire is extinguished.