Promised Set Report

Author Topic: Promised Set Report  (Read 19967 times)

pauf2

• Wide Awake

Promised Set Report
« on: March 07, 2010, 02:38:04 PM »
Because I probably won't post anything upcoming week, I've been working on this, to give you something to talk about untill I post the rest, enjoy reading!

First, I?ve been working behind the scenes on the set of the Northern Water Tribe exterior sets that were shots in on enormous airplane hangar. There were a couple of sets that really formed an entire part of the city, and there were some separate set pieces. Those sets were incredibly beautiful and really detailed. There were small streets that consisted out of ice, two beautiful plazas (one with a big bronze bell), multiple canals, bridges and many buildings. I?ve been mainly filming the battle of the north, where the Fire Nation invaded the city. There also were some parts of the battle that were filmed on the battlements/walls that overlooked the water, but those sets were mainly green screen.
Because it wasn?t shoot chronologically, it?s hard to say what happened when, but this is what I?ve filmed on those sets: citizens running through the streets as the bell is sounded (one mother stands on her balcony looking down on the plaza as she sees her little child being ran over by the fleeing citizens, and Sokka then saves the day by saving the child). As the Fire Nation invades the plazas and the streets, the battle erupts between them and the Water soldiers. The only benders are the leaders of each nation, so there was a lot of martial arts and sword fighting, a lot. A lot of screaming and yelling and people fighting everywhere. If the movie won?t be a big blockbuster, it isn?t due to the fighting. At one point, Sokka runs through the fighting crowd, searching for Katara (who?s been absent the whole time during this battle on the sets of the plazas and streets) and in his run, he takes down tens of guys in one shot. It really took a while to get the perfect shot, but it?s like: running ? tackling ? running ? punching ? running ? boomerang ? running ? bending over so the boomerang hits the guy behind him as it flies back ? running ? avoiding ? kicking ? and that goes on for quite a while. Done very well. The Waterbending parts were difficult to film, because it was just those actors standing on a green tarpaulin slashing their arms through the air like someone with some kind of a mental illness. Aang is also present at the first part of the battle, where he first fights, and then oversees the battle in despair as they seem to lose the attack. Not that much Airbending in those scenes, because he doesn?t fight a lot here. And the coolest thing to do was the part where Appa suddenly appears in the middle of the battlefield. The idea was that when he landed (nothing landed, so that was the problem during the filming, very hard to visualize), everyone around him would being thrown backwards and the ice would break by the impact, and then he would smash some guys with his tail and grabbing on in his mouth so he could throw him away. Wonder how it?ll look on screen.
There were also some Northern Water Tribe scene where it?s just Sokka and some princess talking, and the aftermath of the battle where the main characters walk across the devastated streets and talk about what to do next.
The another where I?ve been involved, was the Air Temple part. The set was built in layers, and was supposed to look like an ancient Buddhist/Eastern temple that was occupied by Fire Nation, who completely destroyed the culture of the Air Nation by using it as an fortress. Beautiful, weathered buildings and courtyards with inscriptions and decorations, covered in the industrial metal, rust and soot. The prayer room was partly outdoors, it?s the place where Aang isolates himself (closes the shutters around him) and meditates. There are signs of war everywhere: skeletons, machinery and debris.
The scenes we shot there, were mainly the scenes where Aang, Sokka and Katara visit the temple. There was a really touching scene where Aang finds out about what happened to his people, and totally freaks out. Later he remembers something someone once said to him about meditating and Avatar stuff, and he decides to lock himself up in the prayer ?room?. He meditates but when he returns to his body, he senses something. He opens the shutters with his staff, to reveal hundreds of Fire Nation soldiers approaching. There?s some incredible fighting, both by Ringer as by his stunt double, and even I was shivering and thinking like: ?Is the Avatar gonna make this?? Also this fight has some great one-long-shot parts, and I think this will be the best fight on screen of the entire movie.
Another part we?ve shot last summer (I thought it was around may) was the most creepy part of the entire film, and the coolest non-action part to film. The cinematographer came up with some cool ideas so it would resemble the part as it was in the show (I?ve seen the last episodes because I wanted to know what we had been doing on set), and it was even better! It was the final scene of the movie, I think (in the show it is), where we follow this ?girl? through the stunningly beautiful yet creepy palace of the Fire Lord with all the columns, torches and firepots and nice decoration. We don?t see her face, and she enters this huge room where the Fire Lord is waiting for her on his throne, surrounded by fire (there was no fire onset, but I heard that it?d be added in post-production). He gives her an important mission that will probably be the storyline of the sequel (which by the way officially greenlighted).
I?ve done all the other Fire Lord-parts, not there were many, but they were cool to do, because we used some cool light- and camera-effects so those scenes would be a cinematographic miracle xD Although Mr. Cliff Curtis has quite a lot of screentime, we will not see his face in the first one, although you might see something of his mouth.
The next part(s) of this report will be posted as soon as I can, but I don?t know when that?ll be, because tomorrow?s the start of chaos!

(There are probably some grammatical errors cause of the hastiness)

If there are questions, post them or send me pm!

pyve

• Praying with Anger

• Email
Re: Promised Set Report
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2010, 04:29:44 PM »
Question..
Did you see the Northern Water Tribe's palace?
If so, how big was it? Was it pretty?

One more.. How long was the Sokka and Princess Yue scene that you saw?

Project 86

• The Sixth Sense

• Email
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2010, 05:34:24 PM »
did you work in any of the spirit world stuff if so how was it

did aang go into avatar state when he found his people were decimated

also anymore info at all would be nice

pauf2

• Wide Awake

« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2010, 12:10:21 PM »
The reshooting isn?t as hectic as I thought it would be, so I?ll try to update you once in a while. First of all, the thing I mentioned about the greenlighted sequel, that isn?t officially official, if you know what I mean. It?s just that the first draft of the screenplay?s finished, and there are some rumors about actors and the possible beginning of the pre-production.
But, back to the topic, the Northern Water Tribe palace is indeed in. The exterior looks great, not spectacular, but really realistic and beautiful. I?m not sure about the interior, but there?s one scene were the king of the Northern Water Tribe, and some of the high officials have a meeting with Aang, Sokka and Katara where they are informed about what?s going outside their fortress. It might be this palace, but I?m not sure.
The Sokka and princes Yue scene I told you, was a brief scene where they kiss, and where the princess tells him about her mixed feeling about their whole ?possible? relationship thing. That was one of those scenes you can hardly remember because it wasn?t that spectacular. Crucial for their characters? development, though.
The Spirit World? I don?t think so, so I guess those scenes were filmed at the other part of the building, or it might be the green screen section where they film things such as the gang flying on the animatronic back of the big furry bison and scenes that involved boats.
There actually is an Avatar State at the Air Temple! He enters that crazy state only twice in the movie, as far as I know: one time at the Air Temple where he totally freaks out and one part at the end of the movie, I also saw in the movie, with an enormous wave he summons. But I think most of the Avatar State parts are also filmed in the screen/blue screen section, because we only had to film Sokka and Katara taking cover as the entire room is blasted apart by Aang, who will be added later.
I?ve also filmed the scenes on the deck/command tower of the Fire Nation owned by the Fire Nation Prince Zuko. There are scenes where he ?spars? with his crew, as a part of his Firebending lessons from his uncle played by Shaun Toub, who does an AMAZING job, I can assure you. Zuko?s Firebending obviously originates from his anger, and his uncle tries to teach him the origins of Firebending but Zuko doesn?t listen because they shouldn?t be wasting time. There?s also one scene where Aang bursts out of the command tower with his glider, and lands on the deck, chased by soldiers. Zuko jumps off the balcony of the command tower and lands on the deck with an enormous metal bang, but before he can reach Aang, Aang jumps over the edge of the deck with his glider and joins his friends on Appa.
There are some other (minor) scenes that took place in my ?department?, which I?ll post hopefully by the end of the week. I?ll also ask my friend and colleague, who was involved in the shooting of the exterior on-location parts. He went to freakin Greenland! Wish I?d been there for work xD

Project 86

• The Sixth Sense

• Email
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2010, 01:59:00 PM »
oh man this sounds so good keep coming with the info it is very appreciated

SamAzu

• Praying with Anger

• Email
« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2010, 06:08:49 PM »
So, do you know if the actress for Azula is official? I don't mind if you don't tell me who she is specifically, but I was just wondering if she was officially casted or if she was just like a stand in for that last scene while they looked for the real actress, if that makes sense...

pauf2

• Wide Awake

« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2010, 04:33:11 PM »
Found some time to give you another update, not on the last part of what I've been filming last year, because I haven't seen my friend since last week. The pickups are now mainly focussing on the principal cast, which aren't that much scenes. But the expectation of the week after upcoming week: complete anarchy. They gave us just a couple of months two reshoot the crowdy scenes: two 'speech' scenes (one of Aang to the Water Nation citizens (which, in my opinion, didn't need a reshoot) and one with Mr. The Daily Show) and multiple fight scenes that needed some more background 'attention'.
You mean the Fire Palace scene? Well, the Indian actress was supposed to be the Fire Lord's daughter. She didn't get a close-up, so I don't know whether this girl will be in the sequel(s) or not. She doesn't even have any lines, so it's possible that they just needed someone to fill in the part while no one has been officialy casted yet.
If you've some questions left, ask them, because tomorrow I've (plenty of) time to update.

Sri HK

• Futuristic (After Earth)

« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2010, 05:45:28 PM »
Great updates man!  Thanks.

Btw....is there a talk of moving the release date further down?  With all this re-shoots i think it might be hard for them to have a finished product by July!
What you see isn't always what u get.

Dr Malcolm Crowe

• Global Moderator

• http://www.teddyblass.com
« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2010, 06:00:11 PM »
Nah, the US date is gonna stick. These pick-ups were planned from the beginning I'm sure.

Project 86

• The Sixth Sense

• Email
« Reply #9 on: March 13, 2010, 06:32:31 PM »
so is it safe to say Zhao and sokka is the actors mostly getting reshoots because i have heard iffy stuff about them

Dr Malcolm Crowe

• Global Moderator

• http://www.teddyblass.com
« Reply #10 on: March 13, 2010, 07:28:40 PM »
I don't think "it's safe to say" anything. I mean we know Zhao is re-shooting a scene, but other than that, it's all speculation.

Sri HK

« Reply #11 on: March 13, 2010, 07:46:46 PM »
I don't think "it's safe to say" anything. I mean we know Zhao is re-shooting a scene, but other than that, it's all speculation.

Yup i agree. I think people are reading too much into the screenings.  Night is meticulous in planning his scenes and i'm sure most of them might have come out fine.
What you see isn't always what u get.

pauf2

• Wide Awake

« Reply #12 on: March 14, 2010, 09:54:50 AM »
Everything?s got to be done within time limit, so I think they want to stick to the release date, but there are rumors on the set that they aren?t going to make it. The post-production part seems to be the toughest stage in this project. While the filming ended around July (after just a couple of months) and has been in post-production ever since. That means a lot of CGI. The scenes we?re filming are mainly the acting parts, which don?t need a lot of time to ?post-product?, so my guess is that this movie won?t be moved, but we?ll find out in time.
The actors of Sokka and Zhao are indeed involved in some parts that will be reshot, but so are Ringer, Peltz, Patel and even Shaun Toub has some reshoots.

EDIT: Forgot to mention that there are also some new scenes/parts to be shot.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2010, 10:02:08 AM by pauf2 »

Project 86

• The Sixth Sense

• Email
« Reply #13 on: March 14, 2010, 10:25:27 AM »
some new scenes?

could you elaborate what type of new stuff?

pauf2

• Wide Awake

« Reply #14 on: March 14, 2010, 10:37:14 AM »
Yes, but I can't tell you too much of it. Next week I'll be working on a part that takes place on Kyoshi Island, that's one of those scenes that will be extended. We've shot this scene where the female leader of the Kyoshi Warriors tells Sokka about their motivation to fight the Fire Nation, in front of this enormous painting of the ancient Avatar Kyoshi. There's some background story about Kyoshi and the Kyoshi Warriors, and I've heard that they'll also add some scenes including Avatar Roku and the Spirit World.