Elijah's good qualities

Author Topic: Elijah's good qualities  (Read 3449 times)

standtall

• Unbreakable

• Personal Text
    Heroes don't get killed like that.
    • Email
Elijah's good qualities
« on: April 24, 2010, 11:33:55 AM »
When I watched the special features section 'Behind the scenes'...M. Night comment's the villain has 'good' qualities...but what were they? Elijah seems to be a pretty bad guy to me...unless its just a comment on his intelligence or drive...but if its meant in a 'moral' sense...that can't be right.

What do you think?

Standtall

Erik

• Futuristic (After Earth)

• Personal Text
    d'oh!
Re: Elijah's good qualities
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2010, 12:25:50 PM »
Well, in a short way;

Elijah found a hero. He placed him in a position where he can protect people from evil and harm. He guided him into the path of good. Actually, the only bad thing about him is the way he tried to find the hero (and eventually did).
We can breath in space,
they just don't want us to escape...

standtall

• Unbreakable

• Personal Text
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2010, 10:03:21 AM »
But David was already protecting people as a security guard. In fact, David's job was another point that convinced Elijah  he may be the  hero he was searching for. I grant...he did seem to help David discover his 'true calling.'..but I don't know if the 'means justifies the ends'...works here. When get down to it...isn't Elijah a mass murderer/serial killer type?

Standtall

Erik

• Personal Text
    d'oh!
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2010, 03:25:54 PM »
You can't compare a security guard with a super hero.

Another 'good quality': if you take a villian like The Joker in The Dark Knight. If you would ask him directions because your lost, I don't think he'd help you. Elijah probably will.

Most of the time, Elijah is not a bad person.
We can breath in space,
they just don't want us to escape...

standtall

• Unbreakable

• Personal Text
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2010, 05:11:39 PM »
Would Elijah give me directions. If he was willing to  stop what he doing, yea. But even if he did...if he felt the question was stupid...he'd probably answer with obvious contempt in his voice.  Remember the Businessman in his gallery...another thing...I'm not so sure Elijah  handles 'the ordinary' very well. And I think giving directions fits under that heading.

Elijah himself was far from ordinary. What he didn't want to be was some kind of 'freak of nature.' He wanted to have a purpose...a purpose for...a reason for why he was afflicted the way he was...that's why it was so important to find David...to define his very existence...WHY AM I HERE.

the difference between a super hero and a security guard...a point I need to think about. 

Imalshen

• Personal Text
    Originality requires breaking rules-M.N. Shyamalan
    • Crazy Caera's Demented Dreams
« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2010, 05:27:23 PM »
Now I don't think the incident in the art gallery at the begining defines him as a good or bad person. He was right, in my opinion, to deny the sale. Maybe I'm just very serious about art and about appropriate toddler presents, but you don't buy a 4 year old an original comic sketch. The guy was CRAZY to be spending that much money on a picture for a preschooler. I would be hostile too, if someone was that dumb. His reaction defines his history. Comic books were his life as a kid, which led him on his quest. For him to just let some guy walk off with a sketch someone like Elijah would value so much more would be completely out of character.

I don't know. Aside from the fact he's off his rocker by killing all those people, I think he's just great. Doesn't change the fact he is a murderer, but people toy with others' lives every day.
There Happen to be Signs in the Village that the Unbreakable Lady in the Water has the Sixth Sense.

Imalshen

• Personal Text
« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2010, 09:54:04 PM »
One more thing, if he was really bad, and not remorseful of what he did, he would not have allowed David to touch him and find out, and turn him in. The fact he did means he at least wanted to be caught.
There Happen to be Signs in the Village that the Unbreakable Lady in the Water has the Sixth Sense.

standtall

• Unbreakable

• Personal Text
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2010, 08:29:24 AM »
Maybe you're right. He may have 'properly' over reacted to the biz man...and I haven't thought about why Elijah let himself be touched...I guess I just thought he wanted his 'arch-nemesis' to know who he was...sort of like 'let the games begin...

Imalshen

• Personal Text
« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2010, 02:48:17 PM »
Maybe, but it would have been a big oversight of his if he thought that David wasn't going to turn him in. lol

Still, just because he's locked up doesn't mean he'll stay locked up. ;)

standtall

• Unbreakable

• Personal Text
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: July 04, 2010, 08:18:13 AM »
If there was a sequel, I don't think I want Elijah involved...at least not heavily. I don't want a typical super hero movie. This is my favorite all time movie because its treatment of the super hero genre is so exceptional....M Night's genius is that he made a movie about a believable super hero.

Imalshen

• Personal Text
« Reply #10 on: July 04, 2010, 02:18:45 PM »
Yeah, I don't really think he would be a major character if they made a sequel. He's not the kind of guy who I can imagine really wants to be a villain. He found the hero, and that was what he wanted.

Mr_Glass.1

• Email
« Reply #11 on: November 08, 2010, 09:38:22 AM »
Without Elijah letting David know who he was his purpose would not be defined.  I also think that Shyamalan is saying here, that the ends do not justify the means, which is why the hero in this story turns the villain in.
I see the world Lucius Hunt, just not the way you see it.

Ivy Walker to Lucius Hunt in The Village

standtall

• Unbreakable

• Personal Text
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: November 12, 2010, 12:40:57 PM »
So do you think David would need Elijah to continue forward?