New Shyamalan Movie?

Author Topic: New Shyamalan Movie?  (Read 8827 times)

Imalshen

• Futuristic (After Earth)

• Personal Text
    Originality requires breaking rules-M.N. Shyamalan
    • Crazy Caera's Demented Dreams
Re: New Shyamalan Movie?
« Reply #15 on: July 12, 2010, 08:23:48 PM »
Darling, since you hate him so much, why don't you just get off this site and stop rabble rousing?
There Happen to be Signs in the Village that the Unbreakable Lady in the Water has the Sixth Sense.

Wags

• The Happening

« Reply #16 on: July 13, 2010, 12:18:36 AM »
Well people are always harassing him for "thrillers" so maybe they're leaping at a chance to be part of his "comeback" (comeback from what? The only movie of his that needs polishing is Airbender and even that got a worse rap than it should have).

Completely disagree. For me, it started with Lady in the Water and it was down-hill from there. I saw a few hints of 'uh-oh' during The Village, but that's one that has grown on me. I would put it in the middle of his thrillers, in terms of quality.

I think the biggest problem Night has at the moment is that he's creating movies for HIMSELF, rather than for the audience. He claims his best movies are Lady in the Water and The Village--movies that most of the public and critics would completely disagree with. Why does he think these are his best movies? Because they're personal to him. What about the public??? He's forgotten the audience. /rant.

I always thought he considered Unbreakable and LitW his best works.   ???

And, on a totally unrelated note, I find it interesting how movie execs really like some of his movies.  The whole reason Night went to Warner Bros for LitW was because Alan Horn had called Night to talk about how much he had loved "The Village."  And, according to "The Man Who Heard Voices", Michael Eisner had went up to Night after the first test screening of "Unbreakable" and called it "The best Disney movie in 25 years."

Rulm

• Twitter
« Reply #17 on: July 13, 2010, 02:41:45 AM »
Darling, since you hate him so much, why don't you just get off this site and stop rabble rousing?

I have a right to give my opinions as you do. The reason I'm still around is that I'm hopeful for better things to come. It can't get any worse, that's for sure. His first three thrillers are among my all-time favorite films, so he's been very influential to me.

Imalshen

• Personal Text
« Reply #18 on: July 13, 2010, 10:13:41 AM »
You're perfectly allowed to give your opinions, but it seems stupid to me to come to the FAN site to do so when you can go anywhere and find like minded people. All this negativity of yours has to be exhausting. It sure as heck exhausts me since I'm here to talk to the few people who will understand my love of his movies.

If you still have hope, come and talk about it when it's fufilled. I can get Shyamalan dissing on every other site on the net.
There Happen to be Signs in the Village that the Unbreakable Lady in the Water has the Sixth Sense.

PriestRevan

• Wide Awake

• Personal Text
    Being a fan of M. Night is an interesting one
« Reply #19 on: July 13, 2010, 11:50:52 AM »
Well people are always harassing him for "thrillers" so maybe they're leaping at a chance to be part of his "comeback" (comeback from what? The only movie of his that needs polishing is Airbender and even that got a worse rap than it should have).

Completely disagree. For me, it started with Lady in the Water and it was down-hill from there. I saw a few hints of 'uh-oh' during The Village, but that's one that has grown on me. I would put it in the middle of his thrillers, in terms of quality.

I think the biggest problem Night has at the moment is that he's creating movies for HIMSELF, rather than for the audience. He claims his best movies are Lady in the Water and The Village--movies that most of the public and critics would completely disagree with. Why does he think these are his best movies? Because they're personal to him. What about the public??? He's forgotten the audience. /rant.

I'm sorry, I gotta get at this.

Artists should do what they love to do, because they like to do it. Not because the audience wants them to do it. If a musician wants to make music in a genre that isn't hugely popular, than they can. If a artist wants to make art out of decomposing bodies (seen it), than they can.

We did everything in media because "that's what the public wants", we'd only see Transformers 2 and 300-type movies, all of our music would be done by Lady GAGA and Kanye West, and lord knows the fine art of Theatre, Opera, and Classical music would be dead...

Personally, I don't want to trust the undereducated populous choosing what I watch.

Rulm

• Twitter
« Reply #20 on: July 13, 2010, 02:40:02 PM »
You're perfectly allowed to give your opinions, but it seems stupid to me to come to the FAN site to do so when you can go anywhere and find like minded people. All this negativity of yours has to be exhausting. It sure as heck exhausts me since I'm here to talk to the few people who will understand my love of his movies.

If you still have hope, come and talk about it when it's fufilled. I can get Shyamalan dissing on every other site on the net.

Believe me, I'll get over it soon. Like I did with The Happening, and like I did with Lady in the Water (I was kinda like this for THE VILLAGE, but that one has kinda grown on me, as much as I disliked the twist and manipulative marketing campaign). I'm not going to pretend I really liked any of the 3 recent movies he's done. And I've been on this fan site for a LONG time. It's not like I just created an account to complain. I'll get over it. And when the day comes where Night creates another good movie, believe me, I'll be praising it to the point where you'll get exhausted too.

Rulm

• Twitter
« Reply #21 on: July 13, 2010, 02:47:32 PM »

I'm sorry, I gotta get at this.

Artists should do what they love to do, because they like to do it. Not because the audience wants them to do it. If a musician wants to make music in a genre that isn't hugely popular, than they can. If a artist wants to make art out of decomposing bodies (seen it), than they can.

We did everything in media because "that's what the public wants", we'd only see Transformers 2 and 300-type movies, all of our music would be done by Lady GAGA and Kanye West, and lord knows the fine art of Theatre, Opera, and Classical music would be dead...

Personally, I don't want to trust the undereducated populous choosing what I watch.

I don't think I explained myself well, or you're looking at it too hard. There's a fine balance. He found that balance with his first three thrillers. The Village had elements of it as well (but I think many people, including myself, forget those elements when the twist comes about). A movie could be both entertaining to the public, yet smart and personal to the filmmaker. And I think you're giving the public too little credit. Sure there are those massive blockbusters, but there are also smart films that are personal to the filmmaker, smart, and yet they rake in massive amounts of cash (The Sixth Sense, District 9, The Dark Knight, etc). A movie doesn't have to have all these special effects to bring in the audience. As for music these days, say what you will about Lady Gaga and Kanye West, but their music is personal to them and they have a massive fanbase. They have found that balance.

Moving on, I'm looking forward to his new film, but I'm a little more cautious about getting myself too hyped up.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2010, 02:52:31 PM by Rulm »

Imalshen

• Personal Text
« Reply #22 on: July 15, 2010, 03:09:28 PM »
Hehe ok. When he knocks us off our feet again we'll drive each other crazy with excitement.

DILinator

• The Happening

« Reply #23 on: July 16, 2010, 08:29:09 AM »
I haven't been on this site in a while, even though I am a big fan of M.Night, and still call him my favorite director.  One of the reasons for that is what I have seen in this thread.  Just because somebody doens't think everything Night touches is gold, doesn't mean he/she isn't a true fan, and doesn't deserve to be here on a fansite for him.  Honestly, I think a person who is able to criticize somebody he likes a lot is a lot more credible of a "fan" than somebody who is a "fanboy", and simply loves and accepts anything the object of their affection puts out. 

To that end, my dislike of LITW, and lack of interest in even seeing TLA, is not an indicator that I am not a fan, but rather that I am not so blinded by my feelings towards Shyamalan, that I'm going to praise something that honestly wasn't that well done in my opinion (and many other people who I would describe as "fans" of Night's as well).  I did like The Happening more than most, and saw something in it that I think a lot of people missed, or at least didn't interpret from it.  However, I can also see why people don't like that one as well, as there were certainly aspects of it that just begged to be hated by those who already didn't like his films. 

I'm not trying to stir anything up here, just standing up for Rulm and his divergent opinions, and saying that all Night fans should be accepted as true fans, in spite of and actually because of (IMHO) their ability to criticize and be objective about his movies.  I think he's a great filmmaker, has some great ideas, and even write some nice scripts.  However, I think he's misfired on a few occasions, and I worry that the negative backlash towards him right now will kill his ability to wow us with future projects.  I hope not, because I still think he can deliver the goods, even though he hasn't shown as much of that ability in recent years in my opinion. 
"See what you have to ask yourself is what kind of person are you? Are you the kind that sees signs, sees miracles? Or do you believe that people just get lucky?"

I'm a "Signs" person.

shinchan

• The Village

« Reply #24 on: July 16, 2010, 10:06:05 PM »
agree with DILinator
pardon my english :)

Wags

• The Happening

« Reply #25 on: July 17, 2010, 12:46:16 AM »
It's awfully hard to call someone who has over 300 posts on an M Night Shyamalan fan board a non-fan.

Rulm

• Twitter
« Reply #26 on: July 17, 2010, 04:41:38 AM »
I haven't been on this site in a while, even though I am a big fan of M.Night, and still call him my favorite director.  One of the reasons for that is what I have seen in this thread.  Just because somebody doens't think everything Night touches is gold, doesn't mean he/she isn't a true fan, and doesn't deserve to be here on a fansite for him.  Honestly, I think a person who is able to criticize somebody he likes a lot is a lot more credible of a "fan" than somebody who is a "fanboy", and simply loves and accepts anything the object of their affection puts out. 

To that end, my dislike of LITW, and lack of interest in even seeing TLA, is not an indicator that I am not a fan, but rather that I am not so blinded by my feelings towards Shyamalan, that I'm going to praise something that honestly wasn't that well done in my opinion (and many other people who I would describe as "fans" of Night's as well).  I did like The Happening more than most, and saw something in it that I think a lot of people missed, or at least didn't interpret from it.  However, I can also see why people don't like that one as well, as there were certainly aspects of it that just begged to be hated by those who already didn't like his films. 

I'm not trying to stir anything up here, just standing up for Rulm and his divergent opinions, and saying that all Night fans should be accepted as true fans, in spite of and actually because of (IMHO) their ability to criticize and be objective about his movies.  I think he's a great filmmaker, has some great ideas, and even write some nice scripts.  However, I think he's misfired on a few occasions, and I worry that the negative backlash towards him right now will kill his ability to wow us with future projects.  I hope not, because I still think he can deliver the goods, even though he hasn't shown as much of that ability in recent years in my opinion. 

Thanks for this excellent, well thought-out post.

Imalshen

• Personal Text
« Reply #27 on: July 17, 2010, 05:54:56 PM »
I don't say you have to like everything he does. Just accept that there are also people out there who do, in fact, like it all (Though I do have criticisms for Airbender. I just can't get to my review across the Atlantic Ocean). I spend most of my movie discussions defending against dumb people who try to "convert" me, and I don't need the smart people trying to do the same. You know what I mean?

Meh, and now we're off topic. Maybe we should have criticism, praise, and debate threads in each film, so we don't get everything all mixed up.

shinchan

• The Village

« Reply #28 on: July 18, 2010, 08:49:52 AM »
peace poeple..iam sure whoever join this site is a fan or else why would they???
pardon my english :)

dex2010

• Praying with Anger

« Reply #29 on: September 09, 2010, 02:42:36 PM »
I really hope its Unbreakable 2. ;D