THE LAST AIRBENDER: Reviews - Critics.

Author Topic: THE LAST AIRBENDER: Reviews - Critics.  (Read 11821 times)

Sri HK

• Futuristic (After Earth)

Re: THE LAST AIRBENDER: Reviews - Critics.
« Reply #30 on: June 30, 2010, 11:14:36 PM »
six percent on RT. his lowest yet.

i hope this movie makes some money.

Now 4%. They took out one positive review.  :-[

I don't understand. How bad can it be? Come on.  Only 4%?  Something is not really adding up. I have never felt any of the M. Night movies were bad. The Happening is only one which i was iffy about.  But this is just bizarre how it is getting panned.
What you see isn't always what u get.

mnightfan4lyfe

« Reply #31 on: July 01, 2010, 07:18:15 AM »
4% is bs, who are these people? they must not have seen the same movie I did, or they just are losers who don't have a clue. I'm not even going to read anything on RT because I'll just get annoyed...

moonrise

• Personal Text
    never give up without a fight
« Reply #32 on: July 01, 2010, 11:41:37 AM »
i have never seen any movies of m. night so this will be my first one
as to the reviews, i see that ppl are usually on both sides of the extreme (so far - the movie JUST came out)
but i suppose it's based on which aspects matter most to YOU! (i mean character, story line, dialouge, etc.)
for now it seems like the bad reviews are expanding on the weak stuff and ignoring the good stuff like the actual story derived from the cartoon

i don't know how the movie turned out so my view may change (tomorrow i hope - going to see it tomorrow!!!)
(almost) exactly 24 hours  ;D ;D ;D
-who knocks at the guarded gate?
-one who has eaten the fruit and tasted its mysteries

Rulm

• Twitter
« Reply #33 on: July 01, 2010, 02:55:06 PM »
Fact is, most people don't hate the movie -- they despise it! And I'm not just talking about critics. Just go check out youtube and twitter and yahoo movies and every other site where people post movie reviews. People despise everything about it, and it has nothing to do with this being an M. Night movie. And after ignoring the reviews and checking out The Happening, I'm  skipping Last Airbender to keep whatever M. Night fan I have left in me alive.

The man needs help.

AIR NOMAD

« Reply #34 on: July 01, 2010, 11:39:40 PM »
Well this is quite worrying.  I'll see it sometime this week and post a detailed review

Cleveland Heep

• LITW

« Reply #35 on: July 02, 2010, 12:09:16 AM »
I just saw it. Let's start with the positive: some good action sequences, and two good shyamalan "moments"

the movie was a piece of crap. one of the worst films of the year, if not the worst.

i havent seen the show, but EVERYONE in the theater came out booing. One guy was like, "Leave it to Shyamalan to ruin another good movie".

I also have no idea what was going on in the movie - apart from the main story. too much terrible exposition and crappy acting and horrendous dialouge.

consensus: worse than the happening.

shyamalan continually tests my faith. :(

Imalshen

• Personal Text
    Originality requires breaking rules-M.N. Shyamalan
    • Crazy Caera's Demented Dreams
« Reply #36 on: July 02, 2010, 12:11:39 AM »
Whatever you do wait until the nutcases have all seen it or you won't be able to hear the movie!!!

I posted a little bit of details regarding good movie, bad script, but I will go more in depth with another viewing. I can advise you to go in "blank slate" and don't expect the series. My friends who never saw the show had a lot more fun than my friends who went in after watching the original. I'm funny about adaptations and how I approach them, so it's hard to disappoint me.
There Happen to be Signs in the Village that the Unbreakable Lady in the Water has the Sixth Sense.

PriestRevan

• Wide Awake

• Personal Text
    Being a fan of M. Night is an interesting one
« Reply #37 on: July 02, 2010, 01:03:14 PM »
six percent on RT. his lowest yet.

i hope this movie makes some money.

Now 4%. They took out one positive review.  :-[

Whaaat? That's... stupid. Lol.

I dunno, I liked the movie, but then again, I don't always end up agreeing with the critics anyways. I guess I just have different tastes in movies.

mnightfan4lyfe

« Reply #38 on: July 02, 2010, 09:37:14 PM »
I'm going to see it at least once more next week. I checked out the reviews on RT and can't believe how cut-throat and nasty these critics are.  ???  >:(

Still working on uploading my photos, hopefully will have them ready soon if I can figure out how to post them.

Cleveland Heep

• LITW

« Reply #39 on: July 02, 2010, 09:42:45 PM »
guys, i know it seems like the critics are being exceptionally vicious, but...

the movie was THAT bad.

Rohan

• Global Moderator

• nightwriter22
« Reply #40 on: July 02, 2010, 10:57:21 PM »
I wish they didn't do the 3D conversion and I don't blame Night for other things. In my opinion it was a nice movie with decent super hero and some good special effects. And, if they come up with sequel I want to see AANG as an adult.

villager

• The Sixth Sense

• My youtube channel
« Reply #41 on: July 02, 2010, 11:45:44 PM »
A friend of mine said that he did not like the movie. Here is his review:

He said that a few of the characters were different in the movie. Some of them did not share the same characteristics seen in the cartoon. He also felt the the pronunciation of the names were off key. The story was also a problem. The movie did not fully cover the first seasons and it skipped past a few events too fast. He also thought that it was a set up for a sequel.

From the sound of most reviews it does not look like a good movie. I thought Night was a big fan of the cartoon series? I am sure he would want to be specific to the show and make a movie for the core fans of Airbender. Maybe it is his own twist on the series? :-\

Here is a quote from Night in an interview:
It?s so much more stress. I didn?t realize quite how much a toll this was all going to take. My normal cycle for movies is eighteen months and each part is separate. But with this movie, everything was overlapped.

This was a big project for Night. Maybe too big of a project for him at this point in his movie making career. I think he really wanted to make this movie but it was just to big.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2010, 11:49:48 PM by villager »
Well do have him come forward.

PriestRevan

• Wide Awake

• Personal Text
    Being a fan of M. Night is an interesting one
« Reply #42 on: July 03, 2010, 01:33:57 AM »
I wish they didn't do the 3D conversion and I don't blame Night for other things. In my opinion it was a nice movie with decent super hero and some good special effects. And, if they come up with sequel I want to see AANG as an adult.

I wanna say two things:

One: I think half the reviewers only saw the 3D version, which I think wouldn't have helped at all.

Secondly: The reaction from fans has made me not really want to call myself a "Avatard" anymore. I hate it when I enjoy being a fan of something, but then other fans either take things too seriously or just go Ducking crazy. I mean, I always stand by the fact that it's just a show or a movie or whatever, and not really THAT important in the long run.

steinmansbrain

• The Village

• Email
« Reply #43 on: July 03, 2010, 05:34:00 AM »
Cleveland I hope you are employing some extreme hyperbole when you say it's worse than The Happening.

Surely that's like a mathematical impossibility? Like if one character delivered one line in a convincing manner it would by default be better than The Happening right?

Anyhoo yeah this looks like it's failed which is a real shame. I was really excited at the prospect, I couldn't think of a better pairing of like story/idea and director (except the Superman/Wachowski Bro's rumour - that would be sweet man). 

And I actually didn't expect it would be bad. I know! Even after The Happening! So I'm just confused at how this could have went wrong.

Obviously going to reserve judgement till i've seen it. I did like LitW, and that got poor reviews. And I'm pretty sure a lot of people have already made up their mind about night and would give it a bad review regardless (just like critics give any Coen brothers movie a good review now - Burn After Reading 78% - did any of them even watch that movie?)

I don't think "the critics just don't get Night" is a valid excuse anymore though. If you don't get him 3 movies in a row maybe it's not us :-\

Cleveland Heep

• LITW

« Reply #44 on: July 03, 2010, 12:43:08 PM »
This is from a review posted on Shadow and Act.

@Steinmansbrain: Your comment made me laugh, because going into the movie, I was thinking the same thing. But lo and behold. You answers to why this movie is not only shyamalan's worst, but one of the worst films of the decade:

"The incomprehensible plot which jumps around from location to location without any logic or reason? The insipid, shallow characters? The amateurish acting? The clumsy, badly choreographed and edited action sequences? The crummy CGI effects? Or the awful, groan-worthy dialogue that?s at least 75% pure exposition? And in spite of that, you still can?t figure out what?s going on or who is who"