Bradly Cooper's Character.

Author Topic: Bradly Cooper's Character.  (Read 9460 times)

Wags

• The Happening

Re: Bradly Cooper's Character.
« Reply #15 on: July 01, 2010, 03:59:13 AM »
I agree about the cast.  I think that the way Night writes his scripts, you need to be a certain type of line reader to make it work.  Bruce Willis, Joaquin Phoneix, Paul Giamatti, Bryce Dallas Howard, they all know how to read Night's scripts.  Mark Wahlberg, Nicola Peltz, Zooey Deschanel...eh, a little iffy.

As for the Night Chronicles, while I still think it's a great idea, I am a little worried about "Devil" being moved to September unannounced.  I mean, that is 3 months away, and we haven't heard a thing.  Reminds me sadly of what happened to Jonah Hex: a terrible movie that they just sort of threw out into the theatres basically unannounced. You'd think we'd at least be getting a trailer of some kind...

And I'm totally on board for a script polisher. Just someone to collaborate with.  But then again, other people's notes is what turned "The Green Effect" into "The Happening".

Imalshen

• Futuristic (After Earth)

• Personal Text
    Originality requires breaking rules-M.N. Shyamalan
    • Crazy Caera's Demented Dreams
« Reply #16 on: July 01, 2010, 03:33:25 PM »
The Happening was a satire. Their line reading was supposed to be corny.
There Happen to be Signs in the Village that the Unbreakable Lady in the Water has the Sixth Sense.

Rulm

• Twitter
« Reply #17 on: July 02, 2010, 01:52:35 PM »
^ The Happening was bad in every way, even as a satire. Btw, is there an interview where he mentions it's a satire?

Anyway, I like Bradley. I think he's a fairly talented actor. We'll see how it goes. But after the horrendous acting in The Last Airbender, expectations are low.

Rohan

• Global Moderator

• nightwriter22
« Reply #18 on: July 02, 2010, 06:31:24 PM »
^ The Happening was bad in every way, even as a satire. Btw, is there an interview where he mentions it's a satire?

Anyway, I like Bradley. I think he's a fairly talented actor. We'll see how it goes. But after the horrendous acting in The Last Airbender, expectations are low.

Bradley is not even in TLA. In fact, there is news that Bradley Cooper will not be attach to Night's film.

Imalshen

• Personal Text
« Reply #19 on: July 03, 2010, 04:11:48 PM »
I read Night's explanation of TH being spoofish the day it premiered on yahoo somewhere. If I find it I'll show you, but it was two years ago so it might take some looking. I do think there was something on this very site where he said "It's just meant to be a B-film" but don't hold me to that.

I just remember walking into that movie with that in mind and going "Well that explains a lot." lol If I hadn't heard it was supposed to be cheesy I'd have been going "Am I supposed to be laughing?" but laughing anyway. Our audience nearly died when they ran past the sign for the model homes that said "You deserve this!"

The first Night film I saw in theatres was Lady and everyone applauded at the end, the first time (I missed the Village by a week). The later showings I saw of it were in a smaller, quieter theatre with the reserved audiences. The Happening had a lot of laughter and "Hmmm, you know, I wonder..." going on at the end, and TLA most people were just cussing out the group that wouldn't shut up the entire film so it was hard to get a reading on them.
There Happen to be Signs in the Village that the Unbreakable Lady in the Water has the Sixth Sense.

Rohan

• Global Moderator

• nightwriter22
« Reply #20 on: July 04, 2010, 01:50:48 PM »
I really don't know how critics and some people calls THE HAPPENING the worst film ever. I thought The Happening was meant to be funny and with wierd dialogues and environment. M.Night Shyamalan basically made audience sit in the dark room to watch his characters kill themselves with a unknown threat. No Godzilla, No Cloverfield, No rats or serial killers, No Michael from Halloween. I think that's pretty daring for a filmmaker to direct such a film and show it to the world that you can be basically bothered by dialogues and tension not blood and gore only. He also added a little bit of blood because he never played with blood before.

Imalshen

• Personal Text
« Reply #21 on: July 04, 2010, 02:22:42 PM »
Ugh. Cloverfield. The trailer made my nose bleed and my epileptic friend apparently had a seizure, though I wasn't in the theatre when she saw the trailer. Never mind what the MOVIE did to people.

Unbreakable888

• Wide Awake

• Email
« Reply #22 on: July 09, 2010, 08:37:13 PM »
I really don't know how critics and some people calls THE HAPPENING the worst film ever. I thought The Happening was meant to be funny and with wierd dialogues and environment. M.Night Shyamalan basically made audience sit in the dark room to watch his characters kill themselves with a unknown threat. No Godzilla, No Cloverfield, No rats or serial killers, No Michael from Halloween. I think that's pretty daring for a filmmaker to direct such a film and show it to the world that you can be basically bothered by dialogues and tension not blood and gore only. He also added a little bit of blood because he never played with blood before.

But did the characters in the film had to kill themselves? What, do the plants have mind control or something? I liked M. Night Shyamalan because he made supernational thrillers that seemed believable. I still liked The Happening, I would rate it 3 out of 4 stars, but if the invisible toxin just killed the people instead of making them kill themselves, it would have been 3 1/2 out of 4 stars. And I don't like the name of the movie, either. It would have been better called, "The Invisible Killer" (cheesy, I know, but isn't Unbreakable a cheesy name for a movie too? It could have been good with The Green Effect too) or something like that.

Hey, you know what would have been cool? If the toxin actually made people suffocate to death! Like carbon monoxide poisoning!

I'm sure if those two changes happened in the movie, there would easily be another 20 million people who would have saw it in the theaters.

Now, there is only two M. Night Shyamalan's I haven't seen: Wide Awake and The Last Airbender. I'm waiting for Wide Awake because while I have the DVD of it, I want to watch every M. Night Shyamalan movie in order from Praying with Anger to The Happening. And I haven't seen The Last Airbender yet because I prefer having less crowds in the movie theater when I go see it. And I had 4th of July celebrations so my time was spent last weekend.

Rulm

• Twitter
« Reply #23 on: July 09, 2010, 11:04:13 PM »
I really, really want an M. Night come-back. And, you know what, if he has to go back to his trademark twist endings, I say go right ahead. It gave him a point to focus on, so he never really 'lost it.'  The biggest problem I had with The Happening is that it wasn't scary at all, and that's the reason I went to watch it. I hope he goes back to respecting the audience, and giving them something they expect, along with that little extra something his first 3 films had.

Bradley is not even in TLA. In fact, there is news that Bradley Cooper will not be attach to Night's film.

I'm aware of that -- I was just talking about M. Night directing his actors. You don't need GREAT actors, just believable ones. The kids from his previous movies have done way better.

Unbreakable888

• Wide Awake

• Email
« Reply #24 on: July 10, 2010, 11:32:50 AM »
I hope he goes back to respecting the audience, and giving them something they expect, along with that little extra something his first 3 films had.
By his first three films I'm guessing you are talking about The Sixth Sense, Unbreakable, and Signs, although those aren't really his first three films. I dislike it when people don't mention his first two real films, Praying With Anger and Wide Awake. You can easily get both on DVD if you know where to look. I guess I'm just a hard-core M. Night Shyamalan fan, although I haven't really read Labor of Love (although I will one day), and I haven't seen Stuart Little (which isn't a real M. Night Shyamalan film, but I'll see that one day too). I only own the Unbreakable soundtrack, but that's because that's my favorite of James Howard Newton's soundtracks. Although I do like his others, and I will get them eventually. I haven't seen most of The Buried Secret of M. Night Shyamalan, but I own it, and I haven't read The Man Who Heard Voices, although I will buy it and read it one day...

And I thought I was a hard-core M. Night Shyamalan fan... Well, I do own and have seen Praying With Anger.

People who only like The Sixth Sense, Unbreakable, and Signs are only casual fans of M. Night Shyamalan. I wouldn't rate any Night movie less than 3 stars out of 4.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2010, 11:37:15 AM by Unbreakable888 »

Unbreakable888

• Wide Awake

• Email
« Reply #25 on: July 10, 2010, 11:43:39 AM »
I read Night's explanation of TH being spoofish the day it premiered on yahoo somewhere. If I find it I'll show you, but it was two years ago so it might take some looking. I do think there was something on this very site where he said "It's just meant to be a B-film" but don't hold me to that.

I just remember walking into that movie with that in mind and going "Well that explains a lot." lol If I hadn't heard it was supposed to be cheesy I'd have been going "Am I supposed to be laughing?" but laughing anyway. Our audience nearly died when they ran past the sign for the model homes that said "You deserve this!"

The first Night film I saw in theatres was Lady and everyone applauded at the end, the first time (I missed the Village by a week). The later showings I saw of it were in a smaller, quieter theatre with the reserved audiences. The Happening had a lot of laughter and "Hmmm, you know, I wonder..." going on at the end, and TLA most people were just cussing out the group that wouldn't shut up the entire film so it was hard to get a reading on them.
I heard the exact same thing; The Happening was meant to be taken as a b-film. (http://www.cnn.com/2008/SHOWBIZ/Movies/06/17/mnight.shyamalan/index.html)

The first Night film I saw in the theaters was Unbreakable when I was just 11 years old. My mom disliked it so much that she made us leave in the middle of it. But I think she felt bad though, because right when the movie came on DVD she immediately bought it for me.

Rulm

• Twitter
« Reply #26 on: July 10, 2010, 06:43:48 PM »

I heard the exact same thing; The Happening was meant to be taken as a b-film. (http://www.cnn.com/2008/SHOWBIZ/Movies/06/17/mnight.shyamalan/index.html)

The first Night film I saw in the theaters was Unbreakable when I was just 11 years old. My mom disliked it so much that she made us leave in the middle of it. But I think she felt bad though, because right when the movie came on DVD she immediately bought it for me.

If this is so, The Happening should have been promoted as a comedy -- but it wasn't. It had a very manipulative  marketing campaign and it didn't deliver on its premise.

Rulm

• Twitter
« Reply #27 on: July 10, 2010, 06:48:33 PM »
I hope he goes back to respecting the audience, and giving them something they expect, along with that little extra something his first 3 films had.
By his first three films I'm guessing you are talking about The Sixth Sense, Unbreakable, and Signs, although those aren't really his first three films. I dislike it when people don't mention his first two real films, Praying With Anger and Wide Awake. You can easily get both on DVD if you know where to look. I guess I'm just a hard-core M. Night Shyamalan fan, although I haven't really read Labor of Love (although I will one day), and I haven't seen Stuart Little (which isn't a real M. Night Shyamalan film, but I'll see that one day too). I only own the Unbreakable soundtrack, but that's because that's my favorite of James Howard Newton's soundtracks. Although I do like his others, and I will get them eventually. I haven't seen most of The Buried Secret of M. Night Shyamalan, but I own it, and I haven't read The Man Who Heard Voices, although I will buy it and read it one day...

And I thought I was a hard-core M. Night Shyamalan fan... Well, I do own and have seen Praying With Anger.

People who only like The Sixth Sense, Unbreakable, and Signs are only casual fans of M. Night Shyamalan. I wouldn't rate any Night movie less than 3 stars out of 4.

Yes, I'm aware of all this and by 'first three films', I was talking about his first three thrillers. I wasn't crazy about Praying With Anger and Wide Awake. I found them very forgettable. Why would you assume that people who only like his first three thrillers are casual fans?? You do realize that those movies are the reason he had such a loyal following, right? In other words, those first three movies brought in the hardcore fans. Those movies also didn't have a manipulative marketing campaign. They respected the audience and trusted them to make the decision to show up base on trust. Just look at the Signs special features -- there he talked about this very thing; the trust of the audience. Don't know what happened since, unfortunately.

Imalshen

• Personal Text
« Reply #28 on: July 11, 2010, 04:49:35 PM »
They did the same thing when Markeing Lady in the Water.

Rulm

• Twitter
« Reply #29 on: July 11, 2010, 06:05:29 PM »
They did the same thing when Markeing Lady in the Water.

Yup. Wasn't scary at all like the trailers were insinuating. The Village also had a similar marketing campaign, but that movie did have its moments of chills.