my mini review

Author Topic: my mini review  (Read 6270 times)

werebearxxx

• The Happening

• http://myspace.com/werebearxxx
my mini review
« on: July 01, 2010, 01:42:41 AM »
do not presume that i know much about reviewing a movie. i don't consider myself to be a good writer.
but here is my opinion on the movie.

i enjoyed it very much. it was a solid movie all the way through. when i went into it, i thought that the choice of actors, excluding Dev Pattel, was gonna bring the movie down a lot. i was pleasantly surprised that i only cringed twice. the movie wasn't overly humorous which is a good thing. The story was fast. clean, and as always the directing was great.
what did i learn from this movie... same thing i ve learned over and over from Shyamalan's movies.....he is my favorite. i highly recommend this movie to any fan of the show.

p.s. the critics are terrible human beings and should be publicly stoned for all to see....all of em.

Kuzon

• Futuristic (After Earth)

• Personal Text
    Me withOUT hair...
Re: my mini review
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2010, 01:57:12 AM »
Thankyou ;)

Why isn't this forum sprouting with life again? ???
ジャクソン

Rulm

• Twitter
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2010, 02:58:50 AM »
Thankyou ;)

Why isn't this forum sprouting with life again? ???

Honestly, I think M. Night has lost a ton of fans lately. Disappointment after disappointment for those who have been holding out hope for a comeback.

Specter

• Administrator

• NarniaFans
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2010, 03:14:22 AM »
I think that is a fair assessment.  I had a pretty horrible audience when I went to the movie.  One kid was distracting the whole time, and kept slapping himself in the leg or the head whenever characters said their names.  I think it's a fine movie.  It's not quite as epic as I had hoped, but it was good.

As for the forums, you're likely correct.  Not a lot of people have much respect for M. Night these days, and it appears that this movie isn't going to do him any favors.  I think another reason is that forums are quickly becoming a thing of the past with websites like this.  Things like facebook and twitter make it easy to just click to become part of something, and all people want to do is discuss what they're interested in and they don't really need to go searching very far for a place to do that anymore.

Wags

• The Happening

« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2010, 03:24:11 AM »
I'm gonna have to agree with you, Specter.  This movie isn't gonna do him many favors. 

It just didn't even feel like an M Night Shyamalan movie to me.  It just felt so....hollow.

But, as long as this site is still around, I'll keep poking my head in to give my 2 cents every now and then.

Specter

• Administrator

• NarniaFans
« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2010, 03:45:47 AM »
Just so I'm totally clear, I did enjoy the movie when I wasn't being distracted by the audience.  You to to a movie and pay $25 for 2 tickets and then have people all around you talking about how they hate Night before the movie begins, talk throughout the movie, and then after continue to LOUDLY talk about how they hate Night...

I know what you mean, though, about it not really feeling like a Night movie.  I felt like that with The Happening.  In many ways it had his visual style, but I also expect to have a spiritual element as well as a supernatural element.  The Happening was mostly supernatural while the spiritual fell flat.

With The Last Airbender, he as on rails, as the show is already a complete mythology. It is the perfect series for him, with both spiritual and supernatural elements in full bloom.  But it is based on the work of two others.  So while it had Night's visual flair, it also had other writers' influence.

werebearxxx

• The Happening

« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2010, 10:10:09 AM »
i think people just love to hate M. Night. This movie will not get its fair chance or the credit it deserves. It was a great movie...i just wish that the human race wasn't so shallow.

Specter

• Administrator

• NarniaFans
« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2010, 10:38:32 AM »
Yeah, I feel the same way.  I also noted that the movie totally diffused the "Zuko is a villain" argument.  Zuko is a conflicted young man whose only choice is to bring Aang to his father to regain his own honor.  He even rescues Aang, and has multiple chances to bring Aang home and regain his honor, but he is so conflicted that he never takes that chance.

gwags33

« Reply #8 on: July 01, 2010, 11:38:49 AM »
HAHAHAHA I WENT TO THE MIDNIGHT SHOWING!!! i saw myself twice!! woooo... but jackson, i didnt see you when we were meditating...i was the last one on the last side lol.. my face was huge!!!

oh yea, btw the movie was terrible...i liked the happening better...if you didnt watch the show, you would be completely lost...and whats up with all the name changes?? TOTALLY STUPID!!!

and did anyone else notice a the race issue? EVERYONE IN THE SOUTHERN WATER TRIBE WERE ASIAN EXCEPT KATARA, SOKKA, AND THEIR GRANDMOTHER, hahahahahahaha!!!

FAIL!

moonrise

• Personal Text
    never give up without a fight
« Reply #9 on: July 01, 2010, 11:48:04 AM »
name changes???
why am i hearing about this now? how could i have misseed it before???

i'll judge the movie when i see it tomorrow - i'm NOT taking sides before i have even seen it!

hey gwags33, did the general audience seem to like it???
-who knocks at the guarded gate?
-one who has eaten the fruit and tasted its mysteries

werebearxxx

• The Happening

« Reply #10 on: July 01, 2010, 12:17:23 PM »
i saw it last night as well. it got good crowd reactions everyone clapped afterward. i didn't hear any bad comments or anything.

Rohan

• Global Moderator

• nightwriter22
« Reply #11 on: July 01, 2010, 01:34:41 PM »
I agree with Specter on forums and sites like this are on the verge of going down lately since Facebook and twitter are taking over the net. I am running a page M.NIGHT FILMS and have lot of fans and discussions about M.Night movies, but honestly I love this site and forum. This can come alive again like before.

May be if there is new layout and lots of change in the front page so more people join us.

gwags33

« Reply #12 on: July 01, 2010, 02:43:03 PM »
name changes???
why am i hearing about this now? how could i have misseed it before???

i'll judge the movie when i see it tomorrow - i'm NOT taking sides before i have even seen it!

hey gwags33, did the general audience seem to like it???

everyone was pretty loud and not paying attention, no one clapped and at the end someone screamed " wow that sucked! I cant believe I waste 14 f****** dollars on that!"  i laughed...

yea the name changes were super annoying... and he missed major plots and themes throughout...and missed MAJOR CHARACTERS TOO!!!

the biggest being the kyoshi warriors? seriously, how could you cut them out!??

Imalshen

• Personal Text
    Originality requires breaking rules-M.N. Shyamalan
    • Crazy Caera's Demented Dreams
« Reply #13 on: July 01, 2010, 03:30:42 PM »
I think that is a fair assessment.  I had a pretty horrible audience when I went to the movie.  One kid was distracting the whole time, and kept slapping himself in the leg or the head whenever characters said their names.  I think it's a fine movie.  It's not quite as epic as I had hoped, but it was good.

As for the forums, you're likely correct.  Not a lot of people have much respect for M. Night these days, and it appears that this movie isn't going to do him any favors.  I think another reason is that forums are quickly becoming a thing of the past with websites like this.  Things like facebook and twitter make it easy to just click to become part of something, and all people want to do is discuss what they're interested in and they don't really need to go searching very far for a place to do that anymore.

We had a bad audience too. It's because they went with the international pronounciations. None of my friends noticed. I thought it was fine except for the idiots who laughed really loudly. I screamed at them pretty harshly-but after the show.

I personally thought it was very good-the script needed a little work and they did have to leave out a lot, but I expected that because it was an adaptation of a TV show and had to be condensed (And you have to admit, adaptations are NEVER as good as the original. Ever.). I thought the kids were very good, especially for Noah's first film, and I liked the way the ending was handled because it matched the way Aang acts toward killing in the end of the series. Things in the movie seemed more consistent than in the show, and I really liked that.

I also liked the fact that the effects were beautifully made, and the world created around it to seem other-worldly instead of trying for "realism" (CGI never looks real so stop trying, you know?). I also loved the spirit world. It looked amazing. And there were a lot of scenes and shots from the movie taken straight out of the TV show (not just the intro) and I thought that was a good homage to the original story.)

The truth is, like any adaptation, the people who are really going to enjoy it are 1. The people who have not seen the original and 2. The people who have, and know to expect a lot of changes and differences and go with it. Most of my friends have never seen the show, and then the handful who have, like me, kept up with the changes and were ready for them. So there was no disappointment there.

My only disappointment was in the rudeness of the audiences who destroyed the experience for everyone. I'm going to wait a few weeks for things to quiet down, then go see it again. I'll probably have a more in depth review of it then as well, but for now, I think everyone just needs to chill.
There Happen to be Signs in the Village that the Unbreakable Lady in the Water has the Sixth Sense.

Imalshen

• Personal Text
    Originality requires breaking rules-M.N. Shyamalan
    • Crazy Caera's Demented Dreams
« Reply #14 on: July 01, 2010, 07:01:39 PM »
I am going to post a proper review, with everything I thought, good and bad, once I see the movie again, with a less distracting audience, and so I can give a clearer view on it. As of the moment I would not say it was a flawless film, but I think people do overlook the positives too often.
There Happen to be Signs in the Village that the Unbreakable Lady in the Water has the Sixth Sense.