I know I'm new, but I wanted to share a critique of this movie:

Author Topic: I know I'm new, but I wanted to share a critique of this movie:  (Read 2118 times)

PriestRevan

• Wide Awake

• Personal Text
    Being a fan of M. Night is an interesting one
TL;DR warning...

Alright, so as most of you know, this movie has been getting bad reviews on the internet.

I just saw it, and I will be giving you a review of it in the most neutral way I can. I will cover the different aspects of this movie:

1. Story

For those of you who have seen the real show, you'll notice differences immediately, such as I. Some of them are a little disappointing, but I suppose it's best to remember than this a movie of it's own flavor. It was changed to become an original tale of an already told story. Honestly, for the movie's sake, I'm very happy they changed it. It would not have made sense otherwise.

It is also very fast paced, and there is a narrative. It's weird to listen to a Narrative, but it wasn't too long ago that the show itself explained itself.

Also, just so you know, the words "Avatar", "Aang", and "Sokka" are pronounced differently for the movie. It's not a bad change, but those of you "super fans" out there will notice it.

2. Cast/Acting

I have to question it at times. Sometimes the cast members race is hard to look past, but... it wasn't bad. Aang was a little bit more serious than in the show, Katara was pretty similar, Sokka was funny, in his own little stupid way, and Zuko was pretty angry half the time. I can't lie, in some ways, a disappointment. In others, a good change that worked well for a movie.

For those of you who follow the show, several of the minor characters will look different than in the show, such as Aang's master, Uncle Iroh, Lord Ozai, and many others. This is not a bad change, but for some, it will be HEART BREAKING, if you take things that seriously.

At times, the acting was blah. Other times, pretty on spot. And, in a sense, sometimes a bit surreal. I respect M. Night for having a strange acting style, and admittedly, it was a bit neat.

3. Graphics/Camera

Sum this up fast: It was a very very pretty movie. I don't need to get into this.

Sometimes, and maybe it was just because I was sitting too close to the screen, but the camera shot was a little.. blurry and ruined scenes. Hopefully, this will be corrected.

4. Script

Strange, but definitely alright. There was some very beautiful lines in this movie, and some kind of suckish lines.

5. Action

Not too much bending in most action scenes, but in most situations, the fighting was very close combat.

As far as the martial arts go, wonderful. Simply wonderful, mainly when you realize that half the cast doesn't know martial arts.

My final opinion:

B-

If you saw the show, you'll be disappointed at the changes, but keep in mind, this is an adaptation. It was never once made to be exact.
The acting at times can be a bore, and others, very nice. When something funny happens, the audience notices and does laugh.
The graphics and CGI are beautiful, even if I think Oppa and MoMo could've looked a bit better, but lets look to the future for better CGI.

If you're looking for the BIGGEST SUMMER BLOCKBUSTER EVER, you will not find it in this movie. If you are a humble person just looking for an enjoyable time, you might find it.

Honestly, after hearing the cheers and claps at the end of the movie, I think some of the negativity is not entirely warranted.

...and by the way, this is not as bad as Dragonball Evolution or Marmaduke.

***all statements made here are opinion based on my experience and the experience of those around me. The final verdict is, and always will be, yours.

Cleveland Heep

• LITW

Re: I know I'm new, but I wanted to share a critique of this movie:
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2010, 12:03:24 PM »
Nice disclaimer haha

It's crazy how universally everyone hates this movie. Not because
Of night. Bit cause it sucked.

People coming out of the theaters were booing and cussing out the movie hahah

PriestRevan

• Wide Awake

• Personal Text
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2010, 01:00:43 PM »
Nice disclaimer haha

It's crazy how universally everyone hates this movie. Not because
Of night. Bit cause it sucked.

People coming out of the theaters were booing and cussing out the movie hahah

Lol, I had a generally different experience. Some of the people around me were clapping and at the end, some cheered. My friends also liked it, so I guess it's just based on how you viewed the movie.

Rulm

• Futuristic (After Earth)

• Twitter
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2010, 01:09:43 PM »
^ I think the only reason anyone would cheer is because it ended. Lol.

PriestRevan

• Wide Awake

• Personal Text
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2010, 01:29:35 PM »
^ I think the only reason anyone would cheer is because it ended. Lol.

Lol, fair enough.

I dunno, after watching Space Chimps, X-Men Origins, and Shorts, this movie just seemed to be good. Lol.

werebearxxx

• The Happening

• http://myspace.com/werebearxxx
« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2010, 02:48:02 AM »
great review.

the crowd was very positive at the end when i saw it.