The Cookbook is Inception (spoiler alert)

Author Topic: The Cookbook is Inception (spoiler alert)  (Read 2750 times)

Namaste

• Futuristic (After Earth)

• Personal Text
    The divine in me bows before the divine in you.
    • myspace
The Cookbook is Inception (spoiler alert)
« on: August 11, 2010, 09:24:56 AM »
I'll start with an excerpt from a great article Shadowbender brought to our attention @ chud.com http://chud.com/articles/articles/24477/1/NEVER-WAKE-UP-THE-MEANING-AND-SECRET-OF-INCEPTION/Page1.html

Inception is such a big deal because it's what great movies strive to do. You walk out of a great film changed, with new ideas planted in your head, with your neural networks subtly rewired by what you've just seen. On a meta level Inception itself does this, with audiences leaving the theater buzzing about the way it made them feel and perceive. New ideas, new thoughts, new points of view are more lasting a souvenir of a great movie than a ticket stub.

It's possible to view Fischer, the mark, as not the audience but just as the character that is being put through the movie that is the dream. To be honest, I haven't quite solidified my thought on Fischer's place in the allegorical web, but what's important is that the breakthrough that Fischer has in the ski fortress is real. Despite the fact that his father is not there, despite the fact that the pinwheel was never by his father's bedside, the emotions that Fischer experiences are 100 percent genuine. It doesn't matter that the movie you're watching isn't a real story, that it's just highly paid people putting on a show - when a movie moves you, it truly moves you. The tears you cry during Up are totally real, even if absolutely nothing that you see on screen has ever existed in the physical world.

For Cobb there's a deeper meaning to it all. While Cobb doesn't have daddy issues (that we know of), he, like Fischer, is dealing with a loss. He's trying to come to grips with the death of his wife [although it's likely she had not died in real life] Fischer's journey reflects Cobb's while not being a complete point for point reflection. That's important for Nolan, who is making films that have personal components - that talk about things that obviously interest or concern him - but that aren't actually about him.

Now, for anyone who has spent a lot of time on this site or watched a lot of LITW this strongly resembles Shyamalan's views on movie making. I won't be able to quote everything from LITW (it's been a while since I've watched it), but we can see a lot of similarities between Story's mission in "the real world" and Cob's mission in "the dream world". That being the inception of an idea. M Night Shyamalan IS inceiving.
Cleaveland: Once, man and those in the water were linked. They inspired us. They spoke of the future. Man listened and it became real. But man does not listen very well. Man's need to own everything led him deeper into land. The magic world of the ones that lived in the ocean... and the world of men... separated. Through the centuries, their world and all the inhabitants of it... stopped trying. The world of man became more violent. War upon war played out, as there were no guides to listen to. Now those in the water are trying again... trying to reach us. A handful of their precious young ones have been sent into the world of man. They are brought in the dead of night... to where man lives. They need only be glimpsed... and the awakening of man will happen. But their enemies roam the land. There are laws that are meant to keep the young ones safe... but they are sent at great risk to their lives. Many... do not return. Yet still they try... try to help man. But man has forgotten how to listen...

Story: A boy, in the midwest of this land, will grow up in a home where your book will be on the shelf and spoken of often. He will grow up with these ideas in his head. He will grow into a great orator. He will speak and his words will be heard throughout this land and throughout the world. This boy will become leader of this country and begin a movement of great change. He will speak of you and your words and your book will be the seeds of many of his great thoughts. They will be the seeds of change.

Cobb: The seed that we planted in this man's mind may change everything.

Eames: If we are gonna perform Inception then we need imagination.

Couple other similarities:
Cleaveland: Oh, I should have been there, I am always going to regret... just not being there. I miss your faces. They remind me of God. I'm so lost without you guys.

Cobb: The moment's passed. Whatever I do I can't change this moment. I'm about to call out to them. They run away. If I'm ever going to see their faces I've gotta get back home. The real world.

Cobb: I miss you more than I can bear, but we had our time together. I have to let you go.

LITW is obviously about Shyamalan and his story-telling. He goes as far as to put himself in the role of the author of the Cookbook.

What do you guys think?
« Last Edit: August 18, 2010, 11:58:04 PM by Namaste »
See the villain's larger eyes insinuating a just-off-normal perspective on how they see the world? I see signs Lucius Hunt; just not as you see dead people. I am so very happy we saw..each other, and no I will not tell you what color love is. Stop asking.

Imalshen

• Personal Text
    Originality requires breaking rules-M.N. Shyamalan
    • Crazy Caera's Demented Dreams
Re: The Cookbook is Inception (spoiler alert)
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2010, 01:31:03 AM »
I'm...going to sleep and coming back to this to see if it makes any more sense. Hahaha!
There Happen to be Signs in the Village that the Unbreakable Lady in the Water has the Sixth Sense.

Namaste

• Personal Text
    • myspace
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2010, 12:11:48 AM »
Sorry, I wrote that post with the assumption that the reader is very familiar with LITW as well as our discussions of the film, and also has read the article on Inception and digested it.
See the villain's larger eyes insinuating a just-off-normal perspective on how they see the world? I see signs Lucius Hunt; just not as you see dead people. I am so very happy we saw..each other, and no I will not tell you what color love is. Stop asking.

Imalshen

• Personal Text
    Originality requires breaking rules-M.N. Shyamalan
    • Crazy Caera's Demented Dreams
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2010, 10:20:15 AM »
Lady I'm familiar with. Inception not so much. lol I was also just back from my New York trip when I saw this and had no functioning brain cells.
There Happen to be Signs in the Village that the Unbreakable Lady in the Water has the Sixth Sense.

Namaste

• Personal Text
    • myspace
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2010, 11:57:36 PM »
Well, read the article through the link i posted, at least. that'll give you a pretty good perspective on the movie (especially the points I'm highlighting in this thread).