Just Saw "Devil"

Author Topic: Just Saw "Devil"  (Read 6513 times)

Wags

• The Happening

Just Saw "Devil"
« on: September 17, 2010, 02:12:57 AM »
Hey Guys, just got back from a midnight screening of ?Devil?.  On a side note, this continues my streak of seeing every M Night Shyamalan movie on opening night-or sooner- since ?Signs.? Here is my review:

(Minor Spoilers- I promise NOT to reveal who the Devil is or anything like that)

Anyways, I thought ?Devil? was overall an excellent movie!  It's a combination of "Signs" and Agatha Christie's "And Then There Were None." The movie was very, very fun to watch and, while not terrifying, definitely had some good moments of suspense.  Yes, there were some of those loud noise-startle jumps, but there was also some genuine tension where I sat there thinking, ?oh man, what?s about to happen.?  

I really pity those people who wanted to know who the Devil was before they saw the movie (mostly IMDB people).  A large portion of the fun of this movie is the Dowdle?s ?Spotlight of Suspicion?, where a different character is our new suspect as the movie progresses.  And, even as a member of the audience  who was trying to second guess everything, I found myself continually surprised.

For those of you who don?t know, there is a narrator to the movie.  I found the narration very minimal, and at times a tad unnecessary.  Or so I thought.  The end of the movie, which sort of concludes with a final bit of narration, was absolutely beautiful.  It literally gave me chills the whole drive home.  It was a simple, 3-5 minute scene, but man was it good.  On another note, the final scene of the movie was extremely well lit, which I know is a weird thing to say, but it added this whole layer of tension to the final few moments of the movie.

There was only one loose end/unexplained thing in the movie that sort of irked me, but it in no way detracted from the enjoyment of the movie.  It was only on the way home when I thought, ?Hey, they never said??

There was also a fair amount of humor in the movie as well.  It occurred early on, and then sporadically during the more tense times.  I thought it worked very well in contrast to the darker, more morbid scenes.  

Overall, I thought ?Devil? was a fantastic movie.  I wish I could go into even more detail, but alas, I don't want to ruin it for anybody.

I really, really think that there is something great to these Night Chronicles, and I cannot wait for "Reincarnate."

I give "Devil" a solid 8/10
« Last Edit: September 17, 2010, 02:17:25 AM by Wags »

Erik

• Futuristic (After Earth)

• Personal Text
    d'oh!
Re: Just Saw "Devil"
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2010, 05:20:01 AM »
I did not read your review because of the spoilers. I just read the beginning and your rating.

8/10, awesome! Thanks Wags!
We can breath in space,
they just don't want us to escape...

Baconhawk

• The Village

• Email
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2010, 06:58:37 AM »
Yay!!! Night Chronicles are going to pwn some n00bs :D
Mr. Heap is a playa!

Imalshen

• Personal Text
    Originality requires breaking rules-M.N. Shyamalan
    • Crazy Caera's Demented Dreams
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2010, 04:37:34 PM »
Oooohhh I can't waiiitttt!!!
There Happen to be Signs in the Village that the Unbreakable Lady in the Water has the Sixth Sense.

Baconhawk

• The Village

• Email
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2010, 04:45:05 PM »
Im bout to see it in 1 hour. Ima write a review when i do.
Mr. Heap is a playa!

shinchan

• The Village

« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2010, 01:52:28 AM »
will i ever see this film,,,,until now there is no news about that movie in jakarta T_T
pardon my english :)

Erik

• Personal Text
    d'oh!
« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2010, 06:54:01 AM »
Strange, the movie is already released in Malaysia, Singapore and Philipines, but not in Indonesia. Weird country you have...
We can breath in space,

shinchan

• The Village

« Reply #7 on: December 16, 2010, 10:14:15 PM »
Finally, 'devil' now showing in jakarta and i be able to saw it last night.i loveee the beginning of the movie,everything is up-side-down,gives a different feeling/perspective/sense.when 5 poeple entered the elevator until the the end of the ride...very thrilling but the ending.....i kinda hv this feeling that there is more something that has to be deliver but cut out...i dont know it just unfinished....

and about why those people were dead bcoz they did bad thing in past....what is the technician and the security did so they had to die ? about the suicide man,he/she is a mistery as well....there is several things that is unsolve...

i think i hv to see it again.....

Rohan

• Global Moderator

• nightwriter22
« Reply #8 on: December 16, 2010, 10:57:03 PM »
Finally, 'devil' now showing in jakarta and i be able to saw it last night.i loveee the beginning of the movie,everything is up-side-down,gives a different feeling/perspective/sense.when 5 poeple entered the elevator until the the end of the ride...very thrilling but the ending.....i kinda hv this feeling that there is more something that has to be deliver but cut out...i dont know it just unfinished....

and about why those people were dead bcoz they did bad thing in past....what is the technician and the security did so they had to die ? about the suicide man,he/she is a mistery as well....there is several things that is unsolve...

i think i hv to see it again.....

Devil is the first chapter under THE NIGHT CHRONICLES and in the beginnging of DEVIL, number 1 appears indicating chapter 1. Reincarnate chapter 2.

Erik

• Personal Text
    d'oh!
« Reply #9 on: December 17, 2010, 12:18:40 PM »
SPOILERS! SPOILERS!

Let's start with the beginning. The suicide man, it is explained that a suicide forshadows the come of the Devil. The suicide note of the man was both rational and insane. Suicide notes are usually just one of them. Which to me concludes that the man was rational, but the Devil made him insane and really commit suicide.
It is also explained by Ramirez that when the devil is doing his evil things, innocent people around him die. That is why the technician and security man died.

Everything you say, all questions you ask, are actually explained by Ramirez story about the Devil.
We can breath in space,

Rohan

• Global Moderator

• nightwriter22
« Reply #10 on: December 19, 2010, 07:25:32 PM »
SPOILERS! SPOILERS!

Let's start with the beginning. The suicide man, it is explained that a suicide forshadows the come of the Devil. The suicide note of the man was both rational and insane. Suicide notes are usually just one of them. Which to me concludes that the man was rational, but the Devil made him insane and really commit suicide.
It is also explained by Ramirez that when the devil is doing his evil things, innocent people around him die. That is why the technician and security man died.

Everything you say, all questions you ask, are actually explained by Ramirez story about the Devil.

Well put. And, I love the ending.  ;D

shinchan

• The Village

« Reply #11 on: December 19, 2010, 09:37:42 PM »

Devil is the first chapter under THE NIGHT CHRONICLES and in the beginnging of DEVIL, number 1 appears indicating chapter 1. Reincarnate chapter 2.

yes i aware about no 1 in the beginning...ou.....well thats explain the ending was a little bit hanging...

shinchan

• The Village

« Reply #12 on: December 19, 2010, 09:38:49 PM »
SPOILERS! SPOILERS!

thanks Erik....still.... ???

ALF

• The Village

• Email
« Reply #13 on: February 02, 2011, 04:38:41 AM »
I still have to wait until friday, when it comes to Spain.
Do you know how we spanish people have called the movie? (as I have said more times, here we usually change the names to translate them into an atractive title)

Here the film is called "La trampa del mal" (Evil's trap)

Dame Nature moves in Strange Ways

Rohan

• Global Moderator

• nightwriter22
« Reply #14 on: February 02, 2011, 10:49:30 PM »
I still have to wait until friday, when it comes to Spain.
Do you know how we spanish people have called the movie? (as I have said more times, here we usually change the names to translate them into an atractive title)

Here the film is called "La trampa del mal" (Evil's trap)

That's pretty interesting.