Just Saw "Devil"

Author Topic: Just Saw "Devil"  (Read 6498 times)

Dr Malcolm Crowe

• Global Moderator
  • Futuristic (After Earth)

• http://www.teddyblass.com
Re: Just Saw "Devil"
« Reply #15 on: February 28, 2011, 02:49:49 AM »
Just revisited this film via Blu-ray.

I hate it. It's so bad. It's insulting even. There aren't enough clever sounding smears in my vocabulary to use on this film.

And what's worse is that I hate feeling this way. I hate that my feelings towards Shyamalan's stories have deteriorated to this level. It's awful. To be fair, I think it would've been better if he wrote and directed it, but the core of the film is concentrated garbage.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2011, 02:53:47 AM by Dr Malcolm Crowe »

Erik

• Personal Text
    d'oh!
« Reply #16 on: February 28, 2011, 11:53:48 AM »
That's actually pretty odd. We all liked it.

Why do you think it is insulting?
We can breath in space,
they just don't want us to escape...

Dr Malcolm Crowe

• Global Moderator

« Reply #17 on: February 28, 2011, 01:25:30 PM »
It treats its audience like children. It's full of cheap, false scares and condescending morals.

Rohan

• Global Moderator

• nightwriter22
« Reply #18 on: February 28, 2011, 09:16:01 PM »
 ;D

I think someone has hacked Teddy's/Malcome's account in this forum.  

Dr Malcolm Crowe

• Global Moderator

« Reply #19 on: February 28, 2011, 11:56:52 PM »
Unfortunately the truth is that I do loathe this film.

Proof that this is me can be found on the NF forums where I said basically the same thing recently.

Rohan

• Global Moderator

• nightwriter22
« Reply #20 on: March 01, 2011, 02:42:37 AM »
Unfortunately the truth is that I do loathe this film.

Proof that this is me can be found on the NF forums where I said basically the same thing recently.

I thought it was entertaining and intense. That's all. Took them to make it for $10M. It was short. And, hopefully "Reincarnate" will be better than this as I am looking forward to it. I would love to see Shyamalan direct a film. I miss him.

ALF

• The Village

• Email
« Reply #21 on: March 01, 2011, 08:35:28 AM »
I liked it.
Yeah, I went to the cinema two weeks ago and I enjoyed this movie.
I think we recover some of Shyamalan's spirit in this film. I thought we were loosing him after Airbender, which I don't consider a film acording to the Shyamalan way of filming. But this time, not being the director nor the screenwriter, we can identify again some of his style, that one which made us -well, not exactly me- create this site.

One interesting point which makes this movie bigger is that the director has given the control to another director, acting just as producer, and that's really coureageus, coming from a director who likes to control everything. With this movie Shyamalan opens a new way on his filmography, the films inspired on his ideas but directed by others. And I think we'll find good surprises in that way.

Congratulations for Shyamalan, now I have hope.
Dame Nature moves in Strange Ways

Erik

• Personal Text
    d'oh!
« Reply #22 on: March 01, 2011, 11:24:33 AM »
Rewatched it yesterday, 'cause I wanted to see what Malcome ment...

I don't get it. To me, Devil is a solid movie.
We can breath in space,

Dr Malcolm Crowe

• Global Moderator

« Reply #23 on: March 01, 2011, 04:08:01 PM »
I rewatched SIGNS on blu-ray to see if the reason I strongly disliked DEVIL was just because I am loosing touch with Shyamalan's storytelling style. Nope, that's not the case. SIGNS is on such a higher level of storytelling and filmmaking it's almost heartbreaking to me the level of hackery the M. Night brand has fallen to.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2011, 01:00:11 PM by Dr Malcolm Crowe »

Rohan

• Global Moderator

• nightwriter22
« Reply #24 on: March 01, 2011, 09:28:56 PM »
@Erik,

What Malcome means is that DEVIL provides cheap scare tactics. Typical horror #@!* that we have been watching. He has a point. I agree with Malcome, but DEVIL is different from those typical horror films and I am not saying this because M.Night's name is labelled on it or it's because of NIGHT CHRONICLES. In my opinion, I find DEVIL quite more intense from rest of the horror films.

I am not that into horror films and that's because only few filmmakers can deliver true horror and a lot can deliver bull#@!* horror. Which is sad.

THE RING was quite nice. I love that film and there are scenes that reminds me of THE SIXTH SENSE. Stair scene and mourners paying their respects at the victim's house. Pretty close to one scene in THE SIXTH SENSE.

I also enjoyed "The Hills Have Eyes." And, I also enjoyed "The Strangers."  I cannot stand Eli Roth films and I cannot stand "Grudge" films. But, if you watch closely and compare Eli Roth films to DEVIL, DEVIL in my opinion is far more superior. Yes, DEVIL is short and does bring some scenes to trick you and get you off guard. That's not really tue horror, but it is intense.

Mr. Alfred Hitichcock himself stated once, TO SCARE THE AUDIENCE, DON'T SCARE THEM BY THE SOUND OF BANG, BUT THE ANTICIPATION OF IT. There are few things in DEVIL that I can find in what Mr. Hitchcock stated. It is intense. And, I agree with Malcome again on SIGNS that movie is true horror classic and I have said it before and will say it again SIGNS SCARED THE HELL OT OF ME AND STILL DOES.

Erik

• Personal Text
    d'oh!
« Reply #25 on: March 02, 2011, 05:05:34 AM »
Well, I agree with being more scared over Signs. It does not really scare me anymore, but the first few times I watched it, I honestly was.
When I saw Devil for the first time, I wasn't scared at all, and I wasn't scared during my second watch, last monday. I agree that Devil is not the best horror ever, but it certenly is a good movie to me.
We can breath in space,

Wags

• The Happening

« Reply #26 on: March 02, 2011, 03:55:39 PM »
I never really thought of "Devil" as a horror movie (And yes, I do see the irony in that statement.) To me, it always seemed more like a mystery movie; you have the people in the elevator and the detective trying to figure out who is the murderer.  So perhaps a supernatural mystery?

Considering the concepts and plot of the two movies ("Signs" being a movie about a family's struggles during the beginning of an alien invasion and "Devil" being about people stuck in an elevator with the Devil) it seems kinda weird to compare the two.  Signs was a family drama that also had supernatural elements mixed in.  And Devil was a supernatural thriller with a little bit of drama thrown in.  The two movies had totally different objectives, in my opinion of course.

On another note, how does "Signs" look on Blu-Ray?