Double Meaning? (SPOILERS)

Author Topic: Double Meaning? (SPOILERS)  (Read 2250 times)

Imalshen

• Futuristic (After Earth)

• Personal Text
    Originality requires breaking rules-M.N. Shyamalan
    • Crazy Caera's Demented Dreams
Double Meaning? (SPOILERS)
« on: October 04, 2010, 08:24:22 PM »
So I saw this movie a second time on Saturday with my friend because he hadn't seen it yet, and like always, I noticed something I didn't notice the first time.

You know how Bowden tells Ramirez about his family and says the devil doesn't need to exist, because humans were evil enough? If you think along those lines, you have *two* devils in the elevator, since Tony was the one who killed Bowden's family in the hit-and-run. Also, most of the people I was watching the movie assumed the "last one alive" was going to be the devil, so in that way Tony fufilled that role as well.

I'm not saying that Tony was supposed to really be Satan. I just like the irony of the double-devil situation.
There Happen to be Signs in the Village that the Unbreakable Lady in the Water has the Sixth Sense.

Rohan

• Global Moderator

• nightwriter22
Re: Double Meaning? (SPOILERS)
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2010, 08:46:26 PM »
All characters had some kind of Devilish habits in them. I am talking about the strangers in the elevator. The main person who committed the act of "Devil" was Tony who killed Bowden's innocent family not on purpose, but by mistake. Actually a stupid mistake. DEVIL was there somewhere invisible, but at the end DEVIL chose to show up as that old lady "who in my opinion" was not a prize winners either. She had bad habits that's why she died.

DEVIL was still travelling with BOWDEN as TONY. I mean in TONY'S MIND who was shocked by what he went through and what he is going through right now while DOWDEN is the one this time who is driving, but miracle is that BOWDEN chooses to forgive TONY. Devil loses. Tony gets a sigh of relief and BOWDEN can move on. DEVIL won't be able touch "Bowden" though.

theos

• Wide Awake

• Email
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2010, 01:16:49 AM »
I also think that the metaphor is that Bowden himself is one of the Devils in the movie because there is deep mortification in his heart. He wants to find the person who killed his family and do bad bad bad things to him/her. Like, for example, beat the hell out of him/her, (or trap in the elevator and punish:).
And the fact that by the end of the movie, as he has seen all those people suffer in the elevator, he still is glad that the very person he wanted to punish is well and alive, and he forgives him... is a very Shyamalanian message that the Devil and the God co-exist in one human being.

Something like that.  ;D

---

So yeah, we are developing the idea of multi-Devil movie here. Several Devils in the elevator! Who is going to be the last one standing?
The Superdevil!  (c) Family Guy
« Last Edit: October 05, 2010, 01:25:01 AM by theos »

Rohan

• Global Moderator

• nightwriter22
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2010, 08:04:19 PM »
Kinda agree with you

Imalshen

• Personal Text
    Originality requires breaking rules-M.N. Shyamalan
    • Crazy Caera's Demented Dreams
« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2010, 09:19:33 PM »
I think they're all part evil and good, that's obvious. I just thought it was kind of interesting the way things wrapped themselves around Tony and what he did.

Bowden, on the other hand, is one of the most interesting characters I've seen in a while...
There Happen to be Signs in the Village that the Unbreakable Lady in the Water has the Sixth Sense.

Rohan

• Global Moderator

• nightwriter22
« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2010, 08:02:07 PM »
I think they're all part evil and good, that's obvious. I just thought it was kind of interesting the way things wrapped themselves around Tony and what he did.

Bowden, on the other hand, is one of the most interesting characters I've seen in a while...

I agree.