One Thousand A.E.

Author Topic: One Thousand A.E.  (Read 10233 times)

Erik

• Futuristic (After Earth)

• Personal Text
    d'oh!
One Thousand A.E.
« on: October 23, 2010, 04:59:57 AM »
LOS ANGELES (Hollywood Reporter) - M. Night Shyamalan is in Hollywood this week putting together his next directorial effort which will see him working with Will Smith.

But it won't be the secret untitled project he shopped around in June. That script, which came with Bruce Willis, Bradley Cooper and Gwyneth Paltrow loosely attached, never found a buyer and was quietly shelved.

That's not to say Shyamalan has lost his love for secrecy -- sources are saying Shyamalan is developing an ultra clandestine sci-fi project titled "One Thousand A. E." at Smith's Overbrook production company.

It would star Smith's son, Jaden, who headlined the hit remake of "Karate Kid." There is a key role for a male adult, although sources said Will Smith is not taking it on.

As was also the case with recent film "The Last Airbender," Shyamalan did not write "A.E." That honor goes to Gary Whitta, who wrote "The Book of Eli" and a Kurt Russell project in development called "Undying."

"A.E." has no studio home yet although Overbrook has a first-look deal with Sony, which will likely be its home.

First posted by: Wags - http://www.mnightfans.com/forums/index.php?topic=2679.msg55813#new

-------------------------------

Okay, this is an interesting change of events. This will be the first ever directed, but not written by Night project. It's a sci-fi, starring Jaden Smith (Will Smith's son), written by Gary Whitta.

Now, it's probably common knowledge for someone who has English as first language, but where does the A.E. stand for?
We can breath in space,
they just don't want us to escape...

Namaste

• Personal Text
    The divine in me bows before the divine in you.
    • myspace
Re: One Thousand A.E.
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2010, 10:49:16 PM »
I think A.E. probably means "after Earth" since it looks like a date and I've seen AE used as after Earth in movies like "Titan A E"
See the villain's larger eyes insinuating a just-off-normal perspective on how they see the world? I see signs Lucius Hunt; just not as you see dead people. I am so very happy we saw..each other, and no I will not tell you what color love is. Stop asking.

Dr Malcolm Crowe

• Global Moderator

• http://www.teddyblass.com
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2010, 11:21:43 PM »
Is Gary Whitta writing the script based off a story of Night's?

Wags

• The Happening

« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2010, 12:31:54 AM »
I have nothing to really back this up, but it seems like Night will only be directing this one.

Which makes me wonder how this all came about.  Did Will Smith approach Night to direct?  How did this come to be?

Rohan

• Global Moderator

• nightwriter22
« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2010, 02:31:57 PM »
Is Gary Whitta writing the script based off a story of Night's?

That's a good question and I never thought about it, but if Gary is writing this script based off a story of Night's then that means that this project is linked under "The Night Chronicles'. And, according to the official website and various news and articles that we have been publishing and reading "The Night Chronicles" is a banner where Night gives ideas and others write them and direct them. So, 1000 A.E. doesn't fit that category because it has Will Smith's OVERBROOK banner is producing it and I am sure "Blinding Edge Pictures" is also attach to do something about it. And, they are currently seeking a studio to do its ditributions worldwide.

I think it's Gary's script and he took it to Will Smith and Will Smith approached Night for it since the main character is a young boy and Smith thought that who else could be better than Night to direct his son.

Dr Malcolm Crowe

• Global Moderator

« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2010, 11:05:50 PM »
And probably since Gary is clearly inspired by Night. BOOK OF ELI was very Night-esque.

That being said, just cause it could possibly be based of a Night story doesn't mean it has anything to do with Night Chronicles whatsoever.

Rohan

• Global Moderator

• nightwriter22
« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2010, 01:51:06 AM »
@Malcome

I agree 'Book Of Eli' had that dark tone to it and specially since the film's point was mostly about faith. And, Night can take this project either way since he is the one who is helming the project and Smith producing it. I think Night is very intrigued about the script and the idea behind this whole project since number of talents is surrounding him. 

In my opinion the project is secured enough with Smith's 'Overbrook' and that's why Night brought it up in few of his interviews in the past by only mentioning "sci-fi" meaning that he is wearing the director's hat because to be honest when he mentioned that he is working on a sci-fi project, I was under the impression that he is thinking about the story and had no idea he was in talks behind doors in secret with Smith and Gary. I am personally intrigued by it. I am liking the way Night is heading. In my opinion, he needs rest from writing his own ideas. He can always look at his thriller which is shelved now at later time.

Rohan

• Global Moderator

• nightwriter22
« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2010, 04:28:28 AM »
I haven't seen "Jaden Smith's" performance in "The Karate Kid". Some of you might seen the film and his performance. Can someone describe his passion for acting and that focus that Haley Joel Osment had in The Sixth Sense?

marco

• Personal Text
    "Look! A circle!" - "Yeah...what's the problem?"
« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2011, 11:45:19 AM »
I hope this may be the chance for M.Night to rise up and come back to the golden age.
"Welcome to The Cove"

Rohan

• Global Moderator

• nightwriter22
« Reply #9 on: January 29, 2011, 02:18:16 PM »
I hope this may be the chance for M.Night to rise up and come back to the golden age.

I have a feeling this is his come back as a director.

Dr Malcolm Crowe

• Global Moderator

« Reply #10 on: February 05, 2011, 07:40:32 PM »
I have a feeling it's not, unfortunately.

Erik

• Personal Text
    d'oh!
« Reply #11 on: February 07, 2011, 12:00:48 PM »
I kinda agree with Malcolm.
I get the feeling that this is a movie, produced by Will Smith, just so his son get's to star in a movie. Feels like the movie is being produced for Jaden's carreer, instead of it being produced for the sake of a good movie.

But I still do hope I'm wrong... Maybe Garry Whitta wrote a good movie, will M. Night direct it perfectly and will Jaden's acting be great.
We can breath in space,
they just don't want us to escape...

Specter

• Administrator

• NarniaFans
« Reply #12 on: February 07, 2011, 09:03:26 PM »
While I hope that it is the start of the comeback for Night, I also have a feeling that it won't be.  That said, it is based on a script that he didn't write, which could do a lot for the public perception.  But I think he needs to catch the world off guard with something that everyone loves and leaves wanting to see again, and recommend to their friends.

On the note of Jaden Smith's career and acting: I won't see the travesty of the Karate Kid remake.

However, I have heard that he's a great actor, and that the camera loves him, and that he definitely has the charm of his father.

Namaste

• Personal Text
    The divine in me bows before the divine in you.
    • myspace
« Reply #13 on: February 08, 2011, 01:41:02 PM »
On the note of Jaden Smith's career and acting: I won't see the travesty of the Karate Kid remake.

hahaha -high five-  I'm with you man. I won't even look at the box.
See the villain's larger eyes insinuating a just-off-normal perspective on how they see the world? I see signs Lucius Hunt; just not as you see dead people. I am so very happy we saw..each other, and no I will not tell you what color love is. Stop asking.

Rohan

• Global Moderator

• nightwriter22
« Reply #14 on: February 08, 2011, 08:58:28 PM »
This is a pretty good chance for night to only show his directing skills and not writing. I personally wanted him to take break from writing. As an artist he needs to stand back and look at what he has done not as a filmmaker, but as a writer.

We have seen him making his own ideas into movies. I was saddened when he decided to helm "The Last Airbender." The story and the show is great, but it's not Shyamalan material. It's like George Lucas takes on SAW movies. I am not comparing AVATAR: The Last Airbender to SAW movies, but I had a bad feeling. I was pulling for him cause I respect the hell out of him.

Gary's script is going to be dark. I have read Book of eli script and he is pretty serious about his writing style and he knows how to write dark stories.

If this is not going to be his come back, I am sure it will raise some eyebrows.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2011, 03:44:32 PM by Rohan »