The Sounds - Short/Film/Experimental

Author Topic: The Sounds - Short/Film/Experimental  (Read 1334 times)

villager

• The Sixth Sense

• My youtube channel
The Sounds - Short/Film/Experimental
« on: August 16, 2011, 05:29:19 PM »
Hey everyone, here is another video/short film I just did. First, let me explain what this is... it is primarily an experimental film more than a short film. I wanted to capture on video that feeling of suspense. I also wanted to try this specific camera angle and use it for some kind of video. The video was inspired by two M. Night films: The Village & Signs.

Let me know what you think of it. Any comments or suggestions are welcome.

Here is the link to my short video: http://youtu.be/_lJ_72fJO6c

« Last Edit: August 16, 2011, 05:34:46 PM by villager »
Well do have him come forward.

Namaste

• Futuristic (After Earth)

• Personal Text
    The divine in me bows before the divine in you.
    • myspace
Re: The Sounds - Short/Film/Experimental
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2011, 12:00:41 AM »
I gave up on it at about the 2:20 mark. That is wayyy wayy too long on one shot with nothing happening. no action, no emotion, no dialogue, not even an exposition of scenery.
See the villain's larger eyes insinuating a just-off-normal perspective on how they see the world? I see signs Lucius Hunt; just not as you see dead people. I am so very happy we saw..each other, and no I will not tell you what color love is. Stop asking.

villager

• The Sixth Sense

• My youtube channel
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2011, 12:17:05 AM »
Ahh... well, thanks for the honesty.

I showed this video to someone else I know and they said the same thing. They walked away from it during the middle. That is when there was no music either. The guy who made the music (Fredrick Lindahl) was a great team player, he did the music on his own time for free. I met him on youtube. He is willing to work with me again for any other projects.

I mainly wanted to post this online to see what kind of reaction I would get. Good or bad. I admit it is not a great short film :P I know I can come up with something better, this was more of an idea (not fully developed). I don't think I am going to make another video/short film like The Sounds. My next video project should be much more interesting.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2011, 12:19:23 AM by villager »
Well do have him come forward.

Namaste

• Futuristic (After Earth)

• Personal Text
    The divine in me bows before the divine in you.
    • myspace
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2011, 01:46:43 AM »
I'll admit I went back and watched some more of it. It would have been much better if you had only edited it down to about maybe 3 minutes of the best shots. Cuts are very important to any narrative visual presentation. I realize this was a test of one particular angle, but it's also good to mix in some other angles to keep people's attention. It's one thing to artfully restrict the audience's field of view to create a feeling of vulnerability, and another to leave out important scene-setting, character-exposition, and emotional reaction shots.
See the villain's larger eyes insinuating a just-off-normal perspective on how they see the world? I see signs Lucius Hunt; just not as you see dead people. I am so very happy we saw..each other, and no I will not tell you what color love is. Stop asking.