I love "Lady in the Water

Author Topic: I love "Lady in the Water  (Read 1578 times)

Ms.Active

• Praying with Anger

• Email
I love "Lady in the Water
« on: July 31, 2013, 12:07:25 PM »
I'm a white woman about to be 67, and the first time I saw Lady in the Water in the theater I wasn't "sure."  But, I felt I needed to see it again.  And again.  And again.  And again.  I don't inquire too closely as to why, but this is a PROFOUND film.  Layers on layers reveal themselves.  Watching it DOES stimulate creativity for writers, at least for me.  And I love that knowledge that there are "magical" or unknown things just out of sight, side by side with us, things we pretend aren't there.  I've never seen a better physical manifestation of that concept then when the "whatever they're called" come out of the trees.  They're right there, in front of you, as they always were, as the beast was always in grass.  Why is this a "fairy tale" concept?  We live our lives this way.  There are at least four levels of people in my immediate neighborhood who live in completely separate worlds from each other.  Our paths almost never cross.  There are rich people.  There are homeless people.  There are "middle class" people, and there are the marginal "poor."  We might as well live on different worlds, in different universes.  Why, then, can't we believe that other "unnoticed" things live beside us, another "level" we don't interact with.  Accepting that possibility opens our minds to a larger personal universe.  Do I usually sit around spewing this stuff?  Why no.  I usually am trying to get things done before my back pain takes me down.  I'm usually "homebound."  My personal "circle" is so narrow you can count the people I interact with on two hands.  I don't have energy for "philosophy."  But this movie INSPIRES "philosophy."  If you think you hate it, watch it again.  And again.  And again.  Open your mind!

Specter

• Administrator
  • Futuristic (After Earth)

• NarniaFans
Re: I love "Lady in the Water
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2013, 08:48:32 PM »
Awesome post!  Thank you so much for sharing your thoughts on Lady in the Water.  It's definitely an underrated film that many people don't understand, and therefore don't give it the time of day.

Namaste

• Futuristic (After Earth)

• Personal Text
    The divine in me bows before the divine in you.
    • myspace
Re: I love "Lady in the Water
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2013, 11:07:07 PM »
Yeah, LITW is definitely underrated, as are many of Shyamalan's films. The trouble is his films being played in a public theater is like putting paintings from the national museum of art on a street corner.
See the villain's larger eyes insinuating a just-off-normal perspective on how they see the world? I see signs Lucius Hunt; just not as you see dead people. I am so very happy we saw..each other, and no I will not tell you what color love is. Stop asking.