Is the film a trick?

Author Topic: Is the film a trick?  (Read 18661 times)

Erin

• Signs

• The Future is Unwritten
Re: Is the film a trick?
« Reply #45 on: October 20, 2008, 01:10:13 PM »
In France, we study english at primary school by now . But I started to learn it when I was 11 I think or something like that ... I'm 18  nearly 19 . So I study english for 8 years . Why ?

Namaste

• Futuristic (After Earth)

• Personal Text
    The divine in me bows before the divine in you.
    • myspace
« Reply #46 on: October 20, 2008, 01:14:00 PM »
Cool!   you should come to the USA some time and practice.
See the villain's larger eyes insinuating a just-off-normal perspective on how they see the world? I see signs Lucius Hunt; just not as you see dead people. I am so very happy we saw..each other, and no I will not tell you what color love is. Stop asking.

Erin

• Signs

• The Future is Unwritten
« Reply #47 on: October 20, 2008, 01:46:59 PM »
Oh I' d like to go to New York ! I love the USA ! what a great country !  But these times, in France, medias can't stop talking about american elections, but I'm not sure we understand very well what's happening actually.  ::)
I went 3 times in Ireland, my favorite country ever !

Mr_Glass.1

• Email
« Reply #48 on: October 21, 2008, 12:48:01 PM »
My sister went to Ireland, she loved it.
I see the world Lucius Hunt, just not the way you see it.

Ivy Walker to Lucius Hunt in The Village

Decadent Sympozium

• Unbreakable

• Email
« Reply #49 on: October 21, 2008, 01:41:16 PM »
Thanks for your post Erin, and for giving some answers.
I know what you mean, and I don't discuss about the beauty of this film, I really liked it, but for me it's just impossible that a ghost doesn't realize that he's a ghost. Put yourself in the place of a ghost: you wake up one day and don't know you're dead, what would you do? Yo'd continue your normal life, untill you'd realize that something's wrong, because no one talks to you and people don't see you. Maybe your wife could be angry with you and doesn't want to talk to you, but what about the others?

The trick is that the moments when it could be obvious that he's a ghost are cut, in order to surprise us and also the man, but it has no sense for me that a ghost doesn't realizae he's a ghost.

Actually, a defined theory about ghosts and their behavior indicates that beings become ghosts when there are emotions which do not allow to dissapear (in simple words, I'm trying to avoid terminology) as such. This explains why almost every single ghost ever has some "unfinished business" with the living, why they are restless or why  they show particular obsessions with specific elements of common life. It has to do with simplicity of emotions and intelligence. Think about an animal. Say, let's take a dog eg. A dog, if gets a wrong impulse in it's head, will bark at the freaky dwarf in the neighbour's garden for the rest of it's life, never to realize there's no point in doing it. A ghost operates the same way. When materialises, it is composed of basic thoughts. Shyamalan's ghosts are much more complex - but they still cannot understand some things (eg. all ghosts kid sees, they all know they are ghosts (more or less) but still continue on doing what they remember - the most painful point of their life - vicious death) You can draw line here with Sixth sense, because Shyamalan, like S.King, always does his research before doing a movie.

Modern japanese horrors (Ring, Grudge, Shutter, Hair, etc) are all based around ghost's final emotion, and obsession with unjustice. Just like in those, when Shyamalan serves justice through Malcolm and Cole, all spirits rest.
« Last Edit: October 21, 2008, 01:47:15 PM by Decadent Sympozium »
Manoj Night Shyamalan is Charles Baudelaire of movie art. That is non-deniable. Baudelaire's value is non-deniable.

Namaste

• Personal Text
    • myspace
« Reply #50 on: October 21, 2008, 03:08:37 PM »

Shyamalan's ghosts are much more complex - but they still cannot understand some things (eg. all ghosts kid sees, they all know they are ghosts (more or less) but still continue on doing what they remember - the most painful point of their life - vicious death)

Cole believes they don't know they're dead. And Malcom certainly didnt know he was dead. The 2 ghosts he helps though (besides malcom) seemed to understand that they needed someone's help to communicate with the world of the living. The other ghosts didnt seem to know they wer dead though, just trapped in an emotion or moment. (anger, mischief, hanging from a rope, fear)
See the villain's larger eyes insinuating a just-off-normal perspective on how they see the world? I see signs Lucius Hunt; just not as you see dead people. I am so very happy we saw..each other, and no I will not tell you what color love is. Stop asking.

Decadent Sympozium

• Unbreakable

• Email
« Reply #51 on: October 21, 2008, 04:04:32 PM »
There you go. Both of three ( :P) probabilities, however, fit intotheory of ghosts/spirits. If you take that Ghosts don't exist (in general opinion), then discussing this is pointless, anyone can describe and bring them to life the way they want. If, however, you want to look at it from the semi-scientific point of view, believeing or knowing they do exist, theories that were written to this point of time go on hand to Shyamalan's idea of ghosting, and one should not question his definition, although, ofcourse, anyone is free to believe that it doesn't make sense. It may havesomething to do with Sixth sense, perhaps? :P
Manoj Night Shyamalan is Charles Baudelaire of movie art. That is non-deniable. Baudelaire's value is non-deniable.

Mr_Glass.1

• Email
« Reply #52 on: October 24, 2008, 06:16:07 PM »
Night puts research into his movies, they all make sense, and could plausibly, up to a point, work.
I see the world Lucius Hunt, just not the way you see it.

Ivy Walker to Lucius Hunt in The Village

Erik

• Personal Text
    d'oh!
« Reply #53 on: April 09, 2011, 08:21:02 AM »
hmm...

Spam!
We can breath in space,
they just don't want us to escape...

Namaste

• Personal Text
    • myspace
« Reply #54 on: April 15, 2011, 11:35:21 AM »
;)      post in a thread on The Village