Why Didn?t The Critics Like This Movie?

Author Topic: Why Didn?t The Critics Like This Movie?  (Read 25279 times)

okokokok

• LITW

Re: Why Didn?t The Critics Like This Movie?
« Reply #45 on: February 11, 2008, 01:33:41 AM »
Sorry, I haven't had a chance to respond, but Dr. Malcolm Crow pretty much summed up my point better than I could have. 

Mr_Glass.1

• Futuristic (After Earth)

• Email
« Reply #46 on: February 11, 2008, 09:35:33 AM »
Okay, I get it, thanks Dr Malcom Crowe, I think I partilly agree, but not entirely, yes for the most part it is there to protect, but I don't think it could really be used to control, though I guess if it got bad enough it could be used to control. 
I see the world Lucius Hunt, just not the way you see it.

Ivy Walker to Lucius Hunt in The Village

DILinator

• The Happening

« Reply #47 on: February 14, 2008, 04:49:32 PM »
I know they aren't the critics, but a lot of the general public didn't like it because it was marketed very differently from what it played out to be, and people were ticked that it wasn't more scary.  Boo hoo for them.  That didn't bother me, but I think that was the biggest cause for a lot of public negative backlash.

As for the critics, they've had it in for M.Night for a while, and while many didn't like Signs, they weren't able to bash that as much because it was a little more accessible.  The Village however, was a very different, and unique movie, and left itself open to criticism (much like LITW).  Coupled with the negative public backlash, the Shymalan critics were able to really pour it on a movie, that they really just didn't give a chance from the get-go.  I seriously don't know how any sane person could laud a movie like No Country for Old Men, and bash The Village, but many critics would do just that.  That why (as I said in another thread here) critics opinions aren't generally worth the paper they're written on, the energy expended to type them into a computer, or the air they breath spouting them off piously.  If you couldn't tell, I don't have much respect for "movie critics"!  ;D
"See what you have to ask yourself is what kind of person are you? Are you the kind that sees signs, sees miracles? Or do you believe that people just get lucky?"

I'm a "Signs" person.

Lifeordeath1

• Email
« Reply #48 on: February 14, 2008, 07:31:30 PM »
I would think that the critics liked No Country for Old Men because it was made more 'artistic'.  Shyamalan isnt very 'artsy', he's more main stream... in my opinion. 
"My biggest fear in life is to be average."
      M. Night Shyamalan

Mr_Glass.1

• Email
« Reply #49 on: February 15, 2008, 09:54:20 AM »
I agree with what DILinator said about the overall backlash and critics.  I think that Shyamalan is "artsy" as you put it Lifeordeath1, and I think he has better understanding of moviemaking then most other people out there.  He knows how to make believable characters who you feel empathy for.  His movies have a very delicate, beatiful feel, yet realistic, and believable.

DILinator

• The Happening

« Reply #50 on: February 15, 2008, 04:13:56 PM »
I agree with what DILinator said about the overall backlash and critics.  I think that Shyamalan is "artsy" as you put it Lifeordeath1, and I think he has better understanding of moviemaking then most other people out there.  He knows how to make believable characters who you feel empathy for.  His movies have a very delicate, beatiful feel, yet realistic, and believable.

Agreed.  And going back to NCFOM, I think that movie was artsy for the sake of being artsy, and while it got the love of the narrow minded critics, and the unabashed fans of the Coen Brothers, it actually was more lacking in substance than most Shyamalan films.  It played like a good action/suspence flick most of the way through, but then degerated at the end when they tried to bring out some great message in it, and make it more "artistic".  Instead, I found their supposed message insulting, and all of the characters were rendered cold, and completely devoid of any emotional attachment.  That's what Shymalan is good at, as you pointed out Mr_Glass, and why I believe his movies are far more meaningful than anything I've watched from the highly lauded Coen Brothers, or other filmmakers like them always looking for a more "artsy" finish to a film. 

So why did the critics not like The Village?  Because it wasn't dreary enough in it's message, the characters were actually likeable, and a Director who does not cater to the film snobbery of the critics was behind it!
"See what you have to ask yourself is what kind of person are you? Are you the kind that sees signs, sees miracles? Or do you believe that people just get lucky?"

I'm a "Signs" person.

Mr_Glass.1

• Email
« Reply #51 on: February 16, 2008, 01:20:49 PM »
Well said, I can't say anything more.  I just hope Night doesn't start pandering to the critics, not that I think he will.

DILinator

• The Happening

« Reply #52 on: February 16, 2008, 04:30:18 PM »
Not to continue beating a dead horse, but I guarantee you that if the Coen Brothers had put out The Village, or even Lady in the Water, the critics would have lauded it, and put it up for an Oscar.  That's just how cliquish Hollywood is.  If you're revered like a film making god, it doesn't matter what your movie is likely.  And sadly, once people decide they don't like you, it very hard to get a good review no matter how good you film is.  After M.Night made Signs, a movie with a very strong spiritual message, the critics decided he was garbage, and they were going to bash whatever he did after that.  We'd better all brace for terrible reviews of The Happening when it comes out, and hope people ignore the critics and go see what is going to be a great movie anyway.

I'm a "Signs" person.

okokokok

• LITW

« Reply #53 on: February 17, 2008, 01:19:43 AM »
Mostly, from what I read, it had to do with the third act, why many critics didn't like it.  It seemed many though the ending was uneventful and thought it was sloppy and not on par with the first 2 acts of the movie.  There was all this talk about about "Oh, I knew what was gonna happen at the end" and because they figured it out, that means it was predictable and not good.  I always say "I knew what was gonna happen at the end of Titanic, why does that matter?" as an argument. 

On top of all of that is the fact that with an M Night movie,  considering the twists that he has pulled in the past, people are so busy thinking about how M Night is gonna trick the audience that they miss out on the movie.  Which makes me understand why I love all of M Night movies more than most people.   I honestly don't think he has the greatest story structure, so the ending is not ever what I'm really interested in.  It's the directing that I am in love with.  There are movies that I like because I like the way they play out, how the story unfolds, but I don't care as much for the movie, scene to scene...like the directing or acting.  It's exactly the opposite with M Night.  I love the way he composes all his scenes and the way he writes and directs his characters.  It's like going on a vacation via road trip to a specific destination.  The destination is part of it, but it's the actual road trip that I enjoy the most.

Mr_Glass.1

• Email
« Reply #54 on: February 18, 2008, 02:48:40 PM »
I am an amteur filmmaker so I love the entire spect of each film.  Therefore, even if I don't like some parts of the story I still study the rest of the film and enjoy it.  So even if I didn't like Night's stories, which I do like, I would still enjoy his filmmaking and style, which is superb. 

Rohan

• Global Moderator

• nightwriter22
« Reply #55 on: March 30, 2008, 02:44:43 PM »
The Village is a classic of the all the time. It's perfectly written and directed.

Rohan

Mr_Glass.1

• Email
« Reply #56 on: March 31, 2008, 08:32:04 AM »
Agreed, I like your signature Rohan.  I need to get a new one, make a real good one.

Namaste

• Personal Text
    The divine in me bows before the divine in you.
    • myspace
« Reply #57 on: June 18, 2008, 12:57:33 AM »
I want to quickly address the "how can terror alerts be used to control people?" question quickly. Just read the latest Executive Orders since 9/11. they are getting more and more brazen and overtly right-suppressing. I suggest that we all start mailing each other copies of the constitution in the hopes that while Bush is reading our mail he might just come accross it. OK enough political ranting.
I agree with the people who said that The Village was promoted the wrong way. It is truly a masterpiece, but it was passed off as a cheap horror film so all the wrong people went to see it. It's also a film that can't be fully digested in one viewing by any means, and critics tend to review a movie after the first viewing. Third, despite all the film and art study these critics go through to become paid critics, they watch and review a movie from the point of view of what they perceive to be the average moviegoer which negates all their training. A review this film based on its artistry would go straight over the average person's head.

I see the Village; just not the way you see it.
See the villain's larger eyes insinuating a just-off-normal perspective on how they see the world? I see signs Lucius Hunt; just not as you see dead people. I am so very happy we saw..each other, and no I will not tell you what color love is. Stop asking.

Rulm

• Twitter
« Reply #58 on: June 18, 2008, 04:09:23 PM »
Ok, the main reason why critics (and most of the public) didn't like this movie was because they felt cheated. They went into it expecting one thing and got another...Much like "The Happening"...Though, I do believe "The Village" is better than "The Happening".

ALF

• The Village

• Email
« Reply #59 on: June 19, 2008, 02:28:55 AM »
I'd like to answer to this question, because we discussed about this question during my last year at the university, when we were talking about "marketing and promotion at the cinema".

I don't know how it was for you in the United States, but I remember well how was the promotion of the film and the teaser trailer: they brought us this film as a terror movie directed by M.Night Shyamalan, in the line of The sixth Sense. The trailer was scary and all the public thought it was a terror movie. After that -maybe wrong" promotion- the critics attaked hardly -at least in Spain- this movie because for them it was far from a horror movie, and they analysed the film from the point of view as it was a terror.

Everybody was expecting a terror movie and they could'nt value the film well because they just felt deceived. I like the movie, I really like it, but I think it had a wrong promotion here in Spain, and that's why the critics didn?t like it.I hope you undeerstand what I mean.
Dame Nature moves in Strange Ways