Why Didn?t The Critics Like This Movie?

Author Topic: Why Didn?t The Critics Like This Movie?  (Read 25398 times)

gonch

• Unbreakable

« on: November 26, 2004, 01:28:46 PM »
 I never got it. Why did critics didn?t like it? It?s a brilliant movie, in my opinion.

Yeah, yeah, maybe the ending wasn?t that surprising. But, i already knew the ending when i went to watch this movie, and i still loved it.

I just think it?s unfair...very unfair...

The story is great, the ating is even better (Bryce Hallas Howard is an amazing actress...) and it?s just a brilliant film!

So...why do you think that the critics didn?t like it? I never trusted the critics, but this is just ridiculous! :angry:

"Do you believe in the devil? You know, a supreme evil being dedicated to the temptation, corruption, and destruction

Specter

• Administrator
  • Futuristic (After Earth)

• NarniaFans
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2004, 01:30:47 PM »
 It's mainly because critics tend to always compare this to other movies, not only the director's other movies, but to other movies in general.  If they started to look at a movie based on it's OWN merits, it might have gotten much better reviews from the critics.

Sakamoto

• Unbreakable

• http://www.matrixfans.net
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2004, 11:13:37 PM »
 That's true, but isn't that what most viewers do automatically? I do it, not on purpose but I do, even though I tend to like most movies anyway. I still notice the similiarities and differences with other films. I also knew the ending before I saw it (just today) and it's still one of my favourite movies of all-time.

gonch

• Unbreakable

« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2004, 06:43:58 AM »
 Yes, each time we see a movie, we compare it to other movies. But even if it isn?t as good as those other movies, we tend to like it (or hate it) based on it?s own merith.

But the critics don?t do that. They think that a movie has to be better than it?s predecessors, or else it sucks.

Critics think they?re a gift for film-makers, but.....well....they?re not <_< .

"Do you believe in the devil? You know, a supreme evil being dedicated to the temptation, corruption, and destruction

Witch King

• Wide Awake

« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2004, 03:57:13 AM »
QUOTE (gonch @ Nov 26 2004, 08:28 PM)
I never got it. Why did critics didn?t like it? It?s a brilliant movie, in my opinion.

Yeah, yeah, maybe the ending wasn?t that surprising. But, i already knew the ending when i went to watch this movie, and i still loved it.

I just think it?s unfair...very unfair...

The story is great, the ating is even better (Bryce Hallas Howard is an amazing actress...) and it?s just a brilliant film!

So...why do you think that the critics didn?t like it? I never trusted the critics, but this is just ridiculous! :angry: [/quote]
 They didn't like it?? :huh: Realy?!? :blink:

All reviews over here (Poland) were naming this movie a masterpiece: acting, music, camera-work... everything. All TV stations were showing interviews, special reports and other stuff for 2 weeks about the movie... madness only comperable with ROTK's release.

gonch

• Unbreakable

« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2004, 01:13:57 PM »
 Well, in here (Portugal) the critics didn?t like it (*grabs a pitchfork*). They said that the ending was a BIG disapointement. They also expeced much more from the acting ( :o ) and they just thought the story was boring ( :blink: ).

There was only one critic who lliked it. Actually, he loved it. Said it was one of the greatest stories ever told...but appart from him....

afi_village

• LITW

« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2005, 03:00:09 AM »
 i don't know why critics didn't like it.  but i think it had something to do with the adds that hyped it up as a really horror monster film, when it really wasn't.  

one reveiw here in australia said that it should have been 10 minutes shorter!  which i just do not get, i love the ending and i always cry for at least ten minutes when it's over.

pkk
OH MY GOD...i was at a placebo concert last night and i was second row standing right in front of brian...then i got steve's drumstick!  HELL YEAH!!!

Azi

• LITW

« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2005, 09:29:42 AM »
 People expected scary. People wanted scary. People didn't get scary. And that's why it wasn't taken well. It was a human suspense drama when people suspected the thinking man's horror film. Just a case of bad luck, I guess.

>Azi  
It's like War of the Worlds
-Merrill, Signs

Villagelover

• Praying with Anger

« Reply #8 on: August 28, 2005, 07:09:02 PM »
 Greetings M. Night Fans,

Im new to the boards and I love M. Nights movies and especially the Village. My opinion of the critics is simple: When I originially saw the Village I hated it because I was soo disappointed...but later when it came out on dvd i watched it again and I absolutley LOVED it!!!! The story and psychological trip M. night takes you on this film is absolutley brilliant. Plus the acting, the music, it was all great AND it did pretty good in the box office.

The critics were like everybody disappointed by the outcome of the story, but after m. Nights previous films people should remember ITS M.NIGHT FOR GODS SAKE!!! He always gives us what we dont expect.

Secondly, to heck with the critics. look how they torpedo bombed Mel Gibson's movie about Christ. And how did it do??????

I rest my case

afi_village

• LITW

« Reply #9 on: September 06, 2005, 02:07:08 AM »
 that's really interesting.  what didn't you like about the outcome at first?

pkk

OH MY GOD...i was at a placebo concert last night and i was second row standing right in front of brian...then i got steve's drumstick!  HELL YEAH!!!

firesage

• Praying with Anger

« Reply #10 on: November 12, 2005, 03:22:25 PM »
QUOTE (Azi @ Jun 19 2005, 09:29 AM)
People expected scary. People wanted scary. People didn't get scary. And that's why it wasn't taken well. It was a human suspense drama when people suspected the thinking man's horror film. Just a case of bad luck, I guess.

>Azi [/quote]
 Haha my friend was scared of that movie. Especially when the monster appeared in the woods. I thought it was funny, mostly because the movie was so predictable. As to why the critics didn't like it, I don't know. I thought the movie was pretty good. It wasn't a masterpiece, or at least it wasn't by my standards, but it was very good. Honestly I like the Sixth Sense better, because he presents the story in a better way. You can identify with the characters more, you can feel what they're feeling better, just little things like that. Perhaps I like the Sixth Sense better because I can identify with the story better than I could the Village.

Dr.Hill42

• LITW

• http://www.nate24.blogspot.com
« Reply #11 on: December 26, 2005, 12:16:43 AM »
 You can't go into a Night movie with expectations...except the expectation of the unexpected...which is a whole different story.  

They say this one has a surprise ending.
~Dr.Hill42

DeadVegas

• Praying with Anger

« Reply #12 on: January 03, 2006, 08:43:15 PM »
 A better question is, why the hell do we even have critics?

Dr.Hill42

• LITW

• http://www.nate24.blogspot.com
« Reply #13 on: January 03, 2006, 10:36:44 PM »
 Because the lazy people need to rely on other things to tell them what is good and what is not...or so it seems to me...kinda sucks huh?

They say this one has a surprise ending.
~Dr.Hill42

G3xmeister

• Wide Awake

• Personal Text
    Villager.
    • Larsson & Nordahl
« Reply #14 on: July 16, 2006, 09:28:49 AM »
 I agree with afi Village, I think it was because people thought it was gonna be a horror-movie. But it's still one of my favourite movies, even though my friends mock me for it!
"Everyone has secrets. Life would be boring without secrets, don't you think?"