Why Didn?t The Critics Like This Movie?

Author Topic: Why Didn?t The Critics Like This Movie?  (Read 26292 times)

leelee

• The Sixth Sense

« Reply #15 on: July 16, 2006, 12:03:35 PM »
 not all the critics hated it. I remember Peter Travers of Rolling Stone and Richard Roeper loved it.  :)  

Wags

• The Happening

« Reply #16 on: July 17, 2006, 12:35:22 AM »
 I dont trust Rolling Stone anymore.  They are the most hypocritical reviewers.  Sure, they raved about The Village, but then (in early January), it was right there on their "Worst Films of 2004" list.

MNightFan430

• The Village

« Reply #17 on: July 17, 2006, 08:13:05 PM »
 WAGS!!!  I'm sorry but I can't send messeges to you!  It keeps saying Mail Error.  So that's why I haven't got a hold of you, I'm sorry!
See...tell him to see...  Tell Merrill to swing away.

myfamlovesnight

• Praying with Anger

« Reply #18 on: July 22, 2006, 09:20:11 PM »
 The Village is one of my favorite movies.  I seldom agree with the critics.  I really wonder why they have stopped thinking.  
I thought after I saw it once I might not enjoy it again because I "knew" , but the movie isn't really about the scary- its about the people and their relationships.  I love the little things that are going on, like the not touching.  It is a wonderful movie that teaches about many things.

SexualSuspect

• Praying with Anger

« Reply #19 on: July 23, 2006, 09:47:57 PM »
 critics hated it I think based on the previews and trailers
They were expecting another "horror" thriller, like the sixth sense or signs and they missed the point of it being a love story.

I fight with everyone i know about the BRILLIANCE of this movie
wtv ppl are sheep
span style='color:purple'>"In this Dirty-minded world, you are either somebody's wife or somebody's whore- or fast on your way to becoming one or the other"

Rulm

• Futuristic (After Earth)

• Twitter
Re: Why Didn?t The Critics Like This Movie?
« Reply #20 on: December 18, 2007, 03:12:45 AM »
There are many reasons why critics didn't like this movie, but I really don't want to get into it right now or it'll start another intense debate like the Lady in the Water "Worst Movie Ever" thread. BUT. It was not all that bad, and THAT I will go into. The reason The Village wasn't terrible was because of the characters. The relationships between them were well written and acted out. For most films, this is enough to keep the movie afloat, and I believe The Village was "floating" because of this. If the characters were not like this...The movie would have "sunk", because there was not much else to keep it afloat...And I will stop now... ;)

Mr_Glass.1

• Email
« Reply #21 on: December 18, 2007, 10:07:18 AM »
I can't really think of anything bad about this movie, I love it!!!  Still, I think one of the reasons the critics didn't like it was because it took the idea of isolating yourself from society in an attempt to get away from sin, and showed that it wasn't possible, there were other things they didn't like, they didn't like the ending, even though it made sense if you actually paid attention during the movie instead of just looking for things to criticize.  The elders have created this village and lived in it for 20-30 years, their not just going to give it up and go back.  Therefore at the end when it became possible for them to continue they will.  I personally think though, that once Lucius was back on his feet, he and Ivy would soon find go to the towns, and things would begin to fall apart.  Has anyone seen Ratatouille, it has a great scene near the end, talking about critics.  You should check it out, good film too.
I see the world Lucius Hunt, just not the way you see it.

Ivy Walker to Lucius Hunt in The Village

Rulm

• Twitter
« Reply #22 on: December 18, 2007, 03:36:59 PM »
I'm not going to argue about what I  (or critics) did not like it, but I did LOVE Ratatouille! It's my favorite movie this year!  ;D
« Last Edit: December 19, 2007, 03:03:25 PM by Rulm »

Mr_Glass.1

• Email
« Reply #23 on: December 19, 2007, 10:01:21 AM »
Yea, superb movie, I just thought it had an interesting scene towards the end talking about critics and their position.

Rulm

• Twitter
« Reply #24 on: December 19, 2007, 03:05:33 PM »
Yea, superb movie, I just thought it had an interesting scene towards the end talking about critics and their position.

Yeah, I really liked that scene. I thought it was done skillfully and with maturity.

Mr_Glass.1

• Email
« Reply #25 on: December 20, 2007, 09:52:54 AM »
Yep, I agree, allright, back to The Village and the critics.

Lifeordeath1

• Email
« Reply #26 on: January 04, 2008, 02:00:28 PM »
I had tickets to see LITW the day before it actually came out!  YIPPIE!  Right before they started the film a man came out and started speaking to the audiance.  "Thanks for coming, blah, blah, blah."  Then he went on to say "Hopefully this is better than his last film The Village." 
I WAS LIKE WHAT THE HECK!!!!????!?!?!?!?!?  Are you nuts!??!?!?  The audience seemed to agree.  The lady 2 seats over was like "Yeah, I agree". I said "What?  No way." "THE VILLAGE WAS AWESOME!" 

Whoever the man was introducing LITW shouldnt have had that job!  I dont care what movie it is, dont diss the man's last film!  Im sure if it would have been Spielberg's film or Martin Scor. that would have never happened!  Sheesh!  Now Im just getting rowled up!  Gosh!
"My biggest fear in life is to be average."
      M. Night Shyamalan

Mr_Glass.1

• Email
« Reply #27 on: January 05, 2008, 12:03:16 PM »
Yea, I agree with you, they shouldn't send someone out there just to bring down the man who created the movie you are about to watch.  It's too bad that some people just never will like him or his films.

werebearxxx

• The Happening

• http://myspace.com/werebearxxx
« Reply #28 on: January 06, 2008, 01:11:32 AM »
i will tell you the reason why critics didnt like the village.....

CRITICS ARE MIDDLE-AGED, AROGENT, CINICLE, LONELY IDIOTS, WHOSE LIVES ARE REDUCED TO BASHING OTHER PEOPLES IDEAS WHO ARE ORIGINAL AND MEANINGFUL.

side note....
Scooby Doo 2 got better reviews than Man on Fire....
what a stupid bunch of losers.

Lifeordeath1

• Email
« Reply #29 on: January 06, 2008, 03:48:19 PM »
i will tell you the reason why critics didnt like the village.....

CRITICS ARE MIDDLE-AGED, AROGENT, CINICLE, LONELY IDIOTS, WHOSE LIVES ARE REDUCED TO BASHING OTHER PEOPLES IDEAS WHO ARE ORIGINAL AND MEANINGFUL.

side note....
Scooby Doo 2 got better reviews than Man on Fire....
what a stupid bunch of losers.

WOW!  Completely AMAZING response werebearxxx!!!!!  Your response reminded me of the film critic in LITW!!!!  HAHA!!!  I cant remember his name or his famous line at the end, but LOVE IT!!!!! 

Critics want nothing but movies that make no sense (period).  When it comes to any action film they automatically think its junk!  Anything by Tony Scott, Michael Bay, or M. Night, (practically anything that doesnt involve character development, an action sequence, or a fictional character (narf), is certainly out of the question for them).  They think its mindless.  If a woman's dress is blue instead of red and it doesnt stand for some sort of symbolysim, or make them think, they think the movie is mindless and boring.  Although, (you critics) if you notice, the only films that make the 'big bucks' are the ones that the 'regualr people' want to see.  Check Netflix's Top 100 for Pet's Sake!  Even though Night's movies should be higher on the list, it still makes my point!
Thanks for the response werebearxxx!!!!!  Keep them up! ;D  I cant believe SD2 got better reviews than MOF?????  What the heck???  Shaggy's green shirt must have had some sort of symbolysim.  PHA!
"My biggest fear in life is to be average."
      M. Night Shyamalan