Soundtracks

Author Topic: Soundtracks  (Read 6586 times)

Lifeordeath1

• Futuristic (After Earth)

• Email
Re: Soundtracks
« Reply #15 on: January 05, 2008, 01:33:48 PM »
Is he your fav. composer?  What others do you like?
"My biggest fear in life is to be average."
      M. Night Shyamalan

Mr_Glass.1

• Email
« Reply #16 on: January 09, 2008, 09:33:48 AM »
I'm torn between James Newton Howard and Hans Zimmer.  I feel like they can each do one thing the other can't.  Hans Zimmer can do incredibly action packed films, while James Newton Howard can do such emotional music on such a simple level, which Hans Zimmer cannot do.  I also like John Powell, John Ottman, and Howard Shore.  I like soundtrack music better then I do regular, I have about 4-6 regular CDs and then 32 soundtracks.  I am always on the lookout for new soundtracks so if anyone has suggestions let me know what and why you think it is good.
I see the world Lucius Hunt, just not the way you see it.

Ivy Walker to Lucius Hunt in The Village

Dr Malcolm Crowe

• Global Moderator

• http://www.teddyblass.com
« Reply #17 on: January 09, 2008, 11:21:02 PM »
I am always on the lookout for new soundtracks so if anyone has suggestions let me know what and why you think it is good.

I really enjoyed The Waterhorse and I Am Legend JNH recently did.

Mr_Glass.1

• Email
« Reply #18 on: January 10, 2008, 09:16:59 AM »
Allright, cool, thank you very much for the tip.  I will check those out.  :)

Unbroken

« Reply #19 on: January 10, 2008, 09:30:56 AM »
Mr. Glass. 1 Quote: 'I'm torn between James Newton Howard and Hans Zimmer.'

I used to be too! Now, however, I like James Newton Howard more because Hans Zimmer seems to repeat himself a lot whereas James tends to be much more original each time. They are both great though.

--- There's a dog inside the building. Go. Shoo! ...Why you're not a dog at all... My God. This is like a moment from a horror movie. It is precisely the moment where the mutation or beast will attempt to kill an unlikable side character. BUT, in stories where there has been no prior cursing, nudity, killing, or death, such as in a family film, the unlikable character will narrowly escape his encounter and be referenced again later in the story, having learned valuable lessons. He may even be given a humorous moment to allow the audience to feel good about him. This is where I turn to run. You will leap for me. I will shut the door. And you will land a fraction of a second too late. ---

Lifeordeath1

• Email
« Reply #20 on: January 10, 2008, 10:42:17 AM »
JNH has lots of "bare" piano in his work, which is what I love the most!  If you enjoy that aspect, you HAVE to get A Beautiful Mind by James Horner!  WOW!  He also does Apollo 13 which is another good one!  Cinderela Man by Thomas Newman has some beautiful piano as well!  There are some interesting pieces in that.  Hanz Zimmer, he did Gladiator.  I own that one as well.  I would def check those out!  I could go on forever and ever and ever and ever!
      M. Night Shyamalan

Mr_Glass.1

• Email
« Reply #21 on: January 11, 2008, 11:29:08 AM »
I know what you mean about going on and on forever.  Yes, I own Gladiator, that is very good.  Also, check out Braveheart by James Horner, some superb bagpipe.  Another one to consider is Eastern Promises, by Howard Shore, that is some amazing violin, wow.  I love the Batman Begins soundtrack, my two favorite composers joining together, yes, I can't wait for the next one.  One other really good soundtrack, of many more I could name, is The Departed, by Howard Shore, check that one out.

Dr Malcolm Crowe

• Global Moderator

• http://www.teddyblass.com
« Reply #22 on: January 11, 2008, 11:53:38 AM »
I love The Departed score, but I feel Marty Scorsese mixed it way too low in the movie.

Lifeordeath1

• Email
« Reply #23 on: January 11, 2008, 12:52:51 PM »
I know what you mean about going on and on forever.  Yes, I own Gladiator, that is very good.  Also, check out Braveheart by James Horner, some superb bagpipe.  Another one to consider is Eastern Promises, by Howard Shore, that is some amazing violin, wow.  I love the Batman Begins soundtrack, my two favorite composers joining together, yes, I can't wait for the next one.  One other really good soundtrack, of many more I could name, is The Departed, by Howard Shore, check that one out.

Yeah I have Braveheart to!  Your are correct it is very good!  Eastern Promises huh?  I will have to check that one out, thanks!  I have been watning to get BB so bad!  DANG!  Now I have to!  The Departed, what do you like about that one?  Sorry, havnt seen the movie.  Do you enjoy action soundtracks?
      M. Night Shyamalan

Mr_Glass.1

• Email
« Reply #24 on: January 11, 2008, 02:25:09 PM »
Yes, I agree with you that it was mixed to low in the movie, but o well, Martin doesn't do everything right.  The Departed is composed by Howard Shore and using basically only acoustic guitar and electric guitar, it uses a tango as the base of everything and jsut goes from there.  Some of the best guitar I have heard in a long time.  I enjoy some action soundtracks, it just depends, I like soundtracks that make me feel something.  Sometimes action soundtracks just use a lot of sound and drums, and it just doesn't sound too good or make me feel anything.  Mission Impossible 2 is a really good soundtrack by Hans Zimmer, half of it is beatiful music, relying heavily on guitar, and the other half is rock music, not singing, but the instruments.  I really like that one.