Shyamalan's Biggest Mistake Yet...

Author Topic: Shyamalan's Biggest Mistake Yet...  (Read 6227 times)

Azi

• LITW

« on: June 12, 2005, 07:39:43 PM »
 Do you not see what our beloved Shyamalan has done?

For any of you that have read Life of Pi, you will see Shyamalan in it. The dialogue. The situations. The terror. The human element. The perfect movie just landed in the perfect director's lap and he tossed it aside. For what? A new interpretation of Tom Hanks' and Ron Howard's 1984 Splash? Do not get me wrong, Shyamalan is my favorite director, but this choice has made me question his reasoning. From his dismissal of Disney to his choice of Lady in the Water, this is the great Shyamalan at his worst.

>Azi
It's like War of the Worlds
-Merrill, Signs

afi_village

• LITW

« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2005, 09:39:00 PM »
 how can you say that.

we have no idea what this film is going to turn out as and there is definatly no way that we can be judging it as his worst yet.

sure it sounds kinda old, but i'm sure it will have the same human element that all of night's films have.  i have total faith that it will turn out to be amazing.

isn't it better for shyamalan to do a film that he feels 100% passionate about, then just something that he could pull off well?

pkk

OH MY GOD...i was at a placebo concert last night and i was second row standing right in front of brian...then i got steve's drumstick!  HELL YEAH!!!

Azi

• LITW

« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2005, 12:16:28 AM »
 I just want him to get noticed, not pushed aside again. When I read Life of Pi I felt the "Shyamalan spirit". It was oscar-worthy. I just wonder what his reaction will be when someone else is successful with the story.

>Azi
-Merrill, Signs

afi_village

• LITW

« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2005, 07:36:18 AM »
 i'm pretty sure i've already complained about award shows somewhere on here.  but i'll do it again.  

do you seriously care who wins oscars?  really i hate what they represent and the attention people give them.  the death of art has come through award shows.  and really, who cares who's won a week after they've been and gone?  i sure don't care.

maybe i'm just a freak who has a completly different view than everyone else, i don't know.  i shouldn't speak for everyone, so pretend i didn't.

god i hate award shows.

it will be interesting to see if the film is successful.  but i don't think m night shyamalan will care.  there was obviously a reason for him not doing it.

pkk

OH MY GOD...i was at a placebo concert last night and i was second row standing right in front of brian...then i got steve's drumstick!  HELL YEAH!!!

Azi

• LITW

« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2005, 09:23:50 AM »
 I think that is just the opposite. Award shows are the only way to filter out the crap like Surviving Christmas from the genius of Million Dollar Baby. I want him to win something because people will go "Oh, I should go see that. Wait, did he make any other movies?" They will do that, because that's what I do.

>Azi
-Merrill, Signs

afi_village

• LITW

« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2005, 09:18:11 PM »
 i don't do that.

i think award shows are just a popularity contest that takes no artistic credits into account.  art shouldn't be judged and there shouldn't be a winner.  it's award shows that make people stop seeing film as art.

i think everyone has heard of the sixth sense, so it won't be like people uncovering a masterpiece that was never appreciated.  i think most people have heard of his films.

pkk

Azi

• LITW

« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2005, 09:44:46 PM »
 The thing is, you are already at his website, you have a skewed point of view.

The only crap at the Oscars is the best song, which is just a show of popularity. Otherwise, it allows the good to be separated from the bad. I didn't want to watch the Aviator until it won the golden globe for best drama. Well, the end.

>Azi
-Merrill, Signs

Dita

• Praying with Anger

« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2005, 08:03:34 PM »
Hello everyone.
I just joined this forum, but I've been a huge fan of M's for years.

I have to agree with afi_village on award shows. They are fixed by the industry who try to feed the same **** to the public. Many films that get nominated I either hate, or was bored out of my mind watching, but "it's the best film of the year". I don't let no award show or critic tell me what I should consider an amazing movie.

The same goes for the Grammys and other music award shows. So many bull#@!* "artists" get nominated and they are just worthless. They can't even carry a tune, but since they are little sex kittens they sell millions and millions of records. Real ARTISTS, who SHOULD be getting promotion and recognition that they actually deserve it don't get anything for their craft. If they don't fit in a box, record companies have NO clue how to promote them.

M. has his following, and he doesn't need any awards to proove that he's a great director with a vision.

Anyways, that is my own 2 cents.

SuperKC

• Praying with Anger

« Reply #8 on: November 21, 2005, 02:37:14 PM »
 Considering Shyamalan's track record of creating beautiful, thought-provoking, quality films I don't think that chosing to make a film with his own originial story can be considered a "mistake." I have no idea what his reasons were for chosing not to make Life of Pi, but if it was a case of chosing one over the other, I can understand why he would want to make his own story instead of someone else's. No mather how fantastic and "perfect" it might be.

Also, if you're worried about Life of Pi's adaptation being put into the wrong hands, I hear it's being directed by Jean-Pierre Jeunet, who directed Amelie. Aside from Shyamalan, I don't know if you can find a pair of hands better suited for Life of Pi then Jeunet.

Azi

• LITW

« Reply #9 on: November 21, 2005, 04:41:03 PM »
 After that teaser in HP, do you see where I'm coming from? I have never seen worse marketing for a movie. I'm not doubting his skills, i'm doubting his career choices. An Oscar opens up a million opportunities, a "bedtime story" leaves fany wondering WTF?

Jeunet is a good director; I have no doubt that he will shoot a beautiful film. How couldn't you with such an amazing story?

>Azi
-Merrill, Signs

afi_village

• LITW

« Reply #10 on: November 23, 2005, 04:20:01 AM »
 i totally disagree with what you are saying about this bedtime story marketing.

it's a perfect juxtaposition and it sets a really creepy mood for the film.

an oscar may open up a million opportunities but only selfish people need that many.  you are forgeting that film is art, not just a job and if m night did not feel that his artistic values were being carried out with life of pie than he already has a fine career without it.  he doesn't need to do films to get awards and  open up opportunities, he obviously already has everything he needs to make his art.

unlimited6

• The Sixth Sense

• Personal Text
    you get what you get because you do what you do.
« Reply #11 on: November 23, 2005, 11:07:38 AM »
 nicely said afi,good job.pls keep the good posts coming,an no awards arent everything,i agree.however an oscar probably would be great for this director.at some point in time,anyways happy thanksgiving everyone who posts on the site sorry as usual i cant spell but im in ahurry,as usual.lol.
Tell me the story about why you're sad. cole sear-"the sixth sense"

gonch

• Unbreakable

« Reply #12 on: November 23, 2005, 02:35:31 PM »
QUOTE (afi_village @ Nov 23 2005, 04:20 AM)
i totally disagree with what you are saying about this bedtime story marketing.

it's a perfect juxtaposition and it sets a really creepy mood for the film.

an oscar may open up a million opportunities but only selfish people need that many.  you are forgeting that film is art, not just a job and if m night did not feel that his artistic values were being carried out with life of pie than he already has a fine career without it.  he doesn't need to do films to get awards and  open up opportunities, he obviously already has everything he needs to make his art. [/quote]
 Exactly. From what  we've seen from Shyamalan so far, from what we've heard of him... it seems that he doesn't really care about Oscars. He doesn't really like the whole Hollywood industry that much. He just wants to make some great movies. And so far he has accomplished his goal.

And "a bedtime story by M. Night Shyamalan" is one of the best taglines ever. Because we know what type of movies he makes. And we know what type of "bedtime story" he'll make...

"Do you believe in the devil? You know, a supreme evil being dedicated to the temptation, corruption, and destruction

Dr Malcolm Crowe

• Global Moderator
  • Futuristic (After Earth)

• http://www.teddyblass.com
« Reply #13 on: November 23, 2005, 11:09:45 PM »
 I agree.
I don't know if I can even add to that. Shyamalan wanted to make "Lady..." over "Pi" for whatever reason, I'm sure it was a reason.
Night once said:
"if someone says  'you're a genius' or 'you suck' or 'you're over-rated' , which happens literally as I walk to the supermarket, I will get 'you're a genus!', 'you suck!' .... and you can't believe either of them"

I think Night wants to do his own thing, whether or not it will get him an oscar or not.

Dr.Hill42

• LITW

• http://www.nate24.blogspot.com
« Reply #14 on: December 18, 2005, 11:01:42 PM »
 I really don't consider this a bad on Night's part. I would rather have him doing something he wanted to do. This is obviously it. An of course I want him to be well recognized, but does he really seem the type that would want world fame? To me he seems more of a shaddy character, I mean...none of us really know what he's like. We know what his movies are like. And all though not everybody feels the same way we do, we feel that way, and we know what we're talking about. He makes cinematically beautiful, thought provoking films with some of the greatest stories we know. The kind of stories that will stick with us forever, he is truley a great story teller, so let him tell them...his way.

They say this one has a surprise ending.
~Dr.Hill42