Shyamalan's Biggest Mistake Yet...

Author Topic: Shyamalan's Biggest Mistake Yet...  (Read 6226 times)

Helstrom

• Wide Awake

« Reply #15 on: December 19, 2005, 09:30:21 PM »
QUOTE (Dr.Hill42 @ Dec 18 2005, 11:01 PM)
I really don't consider this a bad on Night's part. I would rather have him doing something he wanted to do. [/quote]
 I agree with Dr.Hill42.  Forgive me for saying so, but I personally would rather see Lady In The Water than Life Of Pi.  But that's just me.

Dr.Hill42

• LITW

• http://www.nate24.blogspot.com
« Reply #16 on: December 26, 2005, 12:12:42 AM »
 Ya who wants to see a heartless film? I can't wait to see what he has in store for us this time.  :D

They say this one has a surprise ending.
~Dr.Hill42

dab

• Praying with Anger

« Reply #17 on: February 24, 2006, 06:04:08 PM »
 While I do feel that awards shows have their place, I feel that all too often that place is somewhere shallow that I don't think I want to spend my time.  Case in point - a few short years ago, we saw a face off for best actor (at the Oscars) between Gladiator's Russell Crowe and Tom Hanks in Cast Away.  Don't get me wrong, I enjoyed Gladiator on a level of relatively mindless entertainment, but for Tom Hanks to carry an entire movie, virtually alone, and make us feel along with him.... that's talent.  I was acutely disappointed to see real art lose to what was comparatively Hollywood drivel.  This is an example that proves conclusively that the Oscars to not provide a barometer by which Shayamalan deserves to be measured.  He has proven over and over that he isn't terribly concerned about the popularity contest which defines the Hollywood machine.  Numbers don't lie -- Hollywood "critics" panned The Village, while Shayamalan fans flocked to the theatres in droves and made it one of the most successful movies of that year!!!  I can't speak for Mr. Shayamalan, but from his past behavior, I think I can guess that the accolades and support of his enormous fan base will mean more to him than an establishment that historically and repetitively supports and promotes imagination-starved mush.  I 100% agree that Shayamalan should be recognized.  However I also whole heartedly believe that he IS recognized by the people who matter the most to him - the fans who support his work and pay to see it!!!!

I think that most of his fans will agree that we can trust his judgement - after all, his talent and ability as a storyteller (of any story he feels needs to be told) is what has drawn us to him in the first place!  Why should we presume to tell him how to do a job that he's already proven he is more than capable of doing (more effectively than most of us could, I'd wager)?  I don't think second guessing or derision is warranted here.  The man has proved how fantastic he is. I, for one, await Lady in the Water with breathless anticipation!!

werebearxxx

• The Happening

• http://myspace.com/werebearxxx
« Reply #18 on: February 25, 2006, 03:14:10 AM »
 A-MEN!!!!!!!

stevenbubba

• Praying with Anger

« Reply #19 on: April 27, 2006, 11:04:24 PM »
 Brand new Night fan here. Signs is my personal favorite film of all time. And reading the postings on this site I realize there are people that get his films! The films have so much more depth than many viewers can see, and are more about the charachters and people than twist endings...Plus I really dig the style of these films. Basic, artful camera angles and subtle but engaging scoring, etc...

Anyway, on this topic, I agree that the oscars are self promoting, boring, and irrelevant.

I don't care if he ever gets an Oscar as long as he keeps doing his choice of stories and directing the films his way. Sure he ain't perfect but every film so far has been fascinating to me and my wife agrees! Will there be a one that doesn't live up, likely, but I haven't seen one yet. Cant wait for LITW.

Thanks for reading.

unlimited6

• The Sixth Sense

• Personal Text
    you get what you get because you do what you do.
« Reply #20 on: May 01, 2006, 10:19:20 AM »
 yeah the oscars are kinda over rated these days. i hate seeing people win that dont deserve em.lol. anyways, yes i am also hoping lady will be a great movie. been too bristol actually not a bad town over there...been too some of the other towns there round philly too,all nice and quiet,anyways happy posting everyone...peace...
Tell me the story about why you're sad. cole sear-"the sixth sense"

turke

• Praying with Anger

« Reply #21 on: June 17, 2006, 08:52:00 AM »
 Why do you care about Oscars, if Shyamalan himself doesn't care about it. Are you his supervisors or what ? And before seeing the movies, how can you make such comments on the fan forum of Shyamalan. How could you understand it is a remake without seeing the movie ?

Dnlle

• Praying with Anger

« Reply #22 on: June 24, 2006, 04:00:12 PM »
 Lady in The Water is obviously one of his most personal films. I mean it's based off of a story he told his kids. I greatly admire the fact that he isn't selling himself to hollywood by choosing some movie that's 'oscar worthy' over something he personally feels stronger towards. You don't see that a lot.

The Oscars are way over rated. and I don't think M. Night will ever win one unless he does a complete 180 in themes. I hate to be the one to bring this over used comparison, but Hitchcock never won an oscar...and it's freakin' Alfred Hitchcock!

TheColorRed

• Praying with Anger

• http://www.myspace.com/plasticorchard
« Reply #23 on: June 30, 2006, 11:34:08 PM »
 I just wanted to say I don't think the plot is tired or old. I mean people compare it splash etc. But splash wasn't a bedtime story or had a portal, evil creature etc. When I saw the trailer I was like hmm...kinda like a breath of fresh air when I heard the plot. Kinda the same feeling I got when I read about Edward Scissorhands. I think it's original...
img src='http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v76/placidbathwater/bleed.jpg' border='0' alt='user posted image' />