Would You Live In The Village?

Author Topic: Would You Live In The Village?  (Read 2987 times)

Helstrom

• Wide Awake

« on: September 24, 2005, 06:42:02 PM »
 All right, here's one to mull over... would you give up modern life to live in The Village?  Seriously.  I've given it a lot of thought since I saw the movie because, for some reason, the idea of living in a simpler, more "innocent" time really appeals to me.  Of course, this is assuming that I would know about the outside world, and not be living in constant fear of Those-We-Do-Not-Speak-Of!   :)

I think I can live without most modern conveniences.  I already live without television.  Modern medicine would be tough to give up... as the movie illustrates.  Of course, knowing the quality of the doctors around here I probably wouldn't be missing much.  Running water would be a challenge to live without.  I wouldn't mind the hard work (farm labor, etc.), I've done that before.

What do you think?

Of course, it would mean missing the next M. Night film.  That might be the deal breaker.  But I would accept that if I got to romance Bryce Dallas Howard.

afi_village

• LITW

« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2005, 10:07:00 PM »
 wow, that's a really hard question isn't it?

i would say, i would want to if i was born there.  but not if i was like the elders who moved there, i'd miss plumbing and cd players too much!

it would be nice though wouldn't it?  just for i little while.

OH MY GOD...i was at a placebo concert last night and i was second row standing right in front of brian...then i got steve's drumstick!  HELL YEAH!!!

Azi

• LITW

« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2005, 02:59:35 PM »
 Well, if you did, you could never tell any of us about it since you have no internet access! That's a bummer!

>Azi
It's like War of the Worlds
-Merrill, Signs

Helstrom

• Wide Awake

« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2005, 04:51:19 PM »
 Well, without the internet, my cost of living would go WAY down.  Of course, "eBay withdrawal" might be tough at first...

thosewedontspeakof

• Praying with Anger

« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2006, 04:14:24 PM »
 i lovede the film really agreed with it + even thou im only 17 , i really would like right now. Evenutually, probally in our lifetime the world will become a big concrete slab and i couldn't handle it if it did. i think without modern stuff + conviniencies it would be ok if an efficient system was developed + medicine wise you could take certain things with you to grow, i.e penicillan, even though you'd be without heart surgeons e.t.c.
 Thing is u'd need a millionaire friend to buy yourself a 'wildlife reserve'

Rohan

• Global Moderator
  • Futuristic (After Earth)

• nightwriter22
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2006, 07:53:57 PM »
  I would go hang out for a while in the village, but living there would be really hard, keeping yourself away from all things that you need in life.

And in fact, all these cities used to be woods and villages back then LOL

-Rohan

The Real Mr.Glass

• Wide Awake

« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2006, 10:33:35 PM »
 With todays crappy TV programing, it wouldn't be a surprise to see a reality show about The Village. Living without all the technological advances we have today. Kinda like the simpsons episode. A combination of Survivor and Big Brother.

I think I could handle living in the past. People today are rude, annoying, disrespectful. Music doesn't have a soul anymore, it's all about screwing eachother. People don't love eachother as much as they did in the past.

f

Namaste

• Futuristic (After Earth)

• Personal Text
    The divine in me bows before the divine in you.
    • myspace
Re: Would You Live In The Village?
« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2008, 01:43:02 AM »
to Mr. Glass, they have already made reality shows about that. One is called..1890's house or something like that.
And I wouldnt like to live in the Village..just like the thread starter said "giving up on modern life" It's just too selfish and lazy to go live in the village when I know I can make a difference in the real world. I'm an optimist, and I'm willing to suffer for my hopes and dreams. (which is why i really identified with Lucious and Ivy) I want to be fearless in a way that people like Walker will never know. (btw..the village is my 2nd favorite movie after Gattaca which has a similar theme)

"I never saved anything for the swim back to shore"
See the villain's larger eyes insinuating a just-off-normal perspective on how they see the world? I see signs Lucius Hunt; just not as you see dead people. I am so very happy we saw..each other, and no I will not tell you what color love is. Stop asking.