The Meaning Of Unbreakable

Author Topic: The Meaning Of Unbreakable  (Read 8824 times)

marco

• Futuristic (After Earth)

• Personal Text
    "Look! A circle!" - "Yeah...what's the problem?"
« on: November 12, 2005, 06:43:27 AM »
 I'd like to tell you a doubt I could never solve.Each time I watch this film I always ask myself the same question:what is the real meaning of the mirrors,the images reflected and the images upside-down?I mean,for instance,the scene where young Elijah find his first comic at the park,or also,at the very beginning of the movie,when a child sees David upside-down on the train.My opinion is that there are very different ways to see events of everyday life,but I think there must be something more.What's your opinion?
I hope I've been clear :lol:  
"Welcome to The Cove"

gonch

• Unbreakable

« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2005, 07:05:35 AM »
 Shyamalan has always used a lot of reflexions and mirrors in his movies. Maybe it has some phylosophical meaning, for him... It's one of his signature moves in a movie.

It's an interesting aspect of the movie, now that I think about it.

And I agree with you, it's his way to show us that there are very different ways to see events of everyday life... or maybe he just does it because it looks great on screen.
But there might be some other meaning... I don't know...

*investigates*

"Do you believe in the devil? You know, a supreme evil being dedicated to the temptation, corruption, and destruction

afi_village

• LITW

« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2005, 12:40:05 AM »
 i think the upside down thing is somwthing about a scewed perspective in life.  the villans of comic books have large eyes which do this and i think that's what the upside down thing is doing.  it's interesting that both the the villan and children are filmed in this way.  hmm.  i'm not really sure i worded that right but whatever.

mirrors are used in a lot of things symolicaly to represent the different characters people take on (as in the way people act differently at different points in their lives and around different people).  i think maybe in this context it could be some sort of ture character thing, as in their false 'masks' are being removed.

i think i need to watch all of these movies again, that was really vauge!
OH MY GOD...i was at a placebo concert last night and i was second row standing right in front of brian...then i got steve's drumstick!  HELL YEAH!!!

Dr.Hill42

• LITW

• http://www.nate24.blogspot.com
« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2005, 12:19:52 AM »
 Maybe these upside down images are supposed to tell us that not everything is as it seems...the plots in these movies for example..hmmm?

They say this one has a surprise ending.
~Dr.Hill42

Wags

• The Happening

« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2006, 04:21:27 AM »
 What I always thought was significant about Elijah first seeing the comic book upside down was that up until that point, when he sees the comic book, he had a negative-hateful view of his condition and life.  But once he sees the comic, he slowly adjusts his mindset, as the view of the comic adjusts, and he now views it differently: the whole thing about someone completely different from him existing, and the concept of the villian  

Dr.Hill42

• LITW

• http://www.nate24.blogspot.com
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2006, 07:07:30 PM »
 Wow excellent analysis.

They say this one has a surprise ending.
~Dr.Hill42

marco

• Personal Text
    "Look! A circle!" - "Yeah...what's the problem?"
« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2006, 07:33:07 PM »
QUOTE (Wags @ Jan 5 2006, 04:21 AM)
What I always thought was significant about Elijah first seeing the comic book upside down was that up until that point, when he sees the comic book, he had a negative-hateful view of his condition and life.  But once he sees the comic, he slowly adjusts his mindset, as the view of the comic adjusts, and he now views it differently: the whole thing about someone completely different from him existing, and the concept of the villian [/quote]
 Yeah,that's very interesting! ;)  
"Welcome to The Cove"

Rohan

• Global Moderator

• nightwriter22
« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2006, 02:58:27 PM »
 I am little bit late here in this topic, but anyways reading everyone's views and opinions regarding the "facts" behind the "unbreakable" is really interesting thing to find out.

I am late so I think I will give my long opinion later today when I come back from my appointment.

-Rohan
I will continue it for sure!

Rohan

• Global Moderator

• nightwriter22
« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2006, 01:23:14 PM »
 I am continuing my piece of mind here regarding the meaning of unbreakable.

M.Night Shyamalan has an pure artistic vision in his mind. You might think that vision is only through god's wonderful gift eyes, but the vision can be through heart and mind and that's how every M.Night film is. They don't come through his eyes, it comes from his mind and heart.

And how smart he is that he makes people like us to see his vision by our eyes. No matter how far is M.Night from us living in this world but soul matches because every human being feels the same thing when it comes to feel and touches and vision and mind and heart.

The reflections in the "UNBREAKABLE" are the signs of visions from his heart and mind in pieces of glass and glass can be destroyed in pieces and so has sometimes someone's mind and heart can broken in pieces and thats how UNBREAKABLE came out.

Elijah is broken in pieces just like a GLASS and (Bruce Willis) can't be like Elijah (Samuel.L. Jackson) because as I said above every soul matches they can be opposite each other, but still they have same SOUL in the story.

Mirror in his films and specially in the unbreakable has a conflict and I find it more interesting that he uses the mirror and reflections because in real life, if a person wanna know himself he/she can think about herself/himself in their minds and when you see yourself in your mind "Thats your reflection" right? So M.Night is smart, he brings that MIND, AS A MIRROR in this films.

His movies may not that big epic ones, but for sure they are all unique and different and we see 'inside his mind' in each of his films that directs himself.

I love his movies and I have deep respect for Mr.Mnight.

-ROHAN

MNightFan430

• The Village

« Reply #9 on: June 02, 2006, 08:12:00 PM »
 I see it as this:

The reflection are in mirrors and glass right?  Well, the villian is called Mr. Glass... Maybe its symbolism.  That's how I saw it.
See...tell him to see...  Tell Merrill to swing away.

Reflection

• Unbreakable

Re: The Meaning Of Unbreakable
« Reply #10 on: September 15, 2007, 12:28:48 AM »
Huummm...

Two words, diametrically opposed

If a mirror produces a reflection, what will two mirrors do?

Can a Reflection truly be infinite?

What would be a mirror of the "real" world??  Huummm???

::bouncing Reflection is not allowed:: ;D <---I know this is actually outside the loop, but I'm inside and I'm upside...down?!?

Butterfly

• Praying with Anger

• Email
« Reply #11 on: June 28, 2008, 03:39:18 AM »
I am continuing my piece of mind here regarding the meaning of unbreakable.

M.Night Shyamalan has an pure artistic vision in his mind. You might think that vision is only through god's wonderful gift eyes, but the vision can be through heart and mind and that's how every M.Night film is. They don't come through his eyes, it comes from his mind and heart.

And how smart he is that he makes people like us to see his vision by our eyes. No matter how far is M.Night from us living in this world but soul matches because every human being feels the same thing when it comes to feel and touches and vision and mind and heart.

The reflections in the "UNBREAKABLE" are the signs of visions from his heart and mind in pieces of glass and glass can be destroyed in pieces and so has sometimes someone's mind and heart can broken in pieces and thats how UNBREAKABLE came out.

Elijah is broken in pieces just like a GLASS and (Bruce Willis) can't be like Elijah (Samuel.L. Jackson) because as I said above every soul matches they can be opposite each other, but still they have same SOUL in the story.

Mirror in his films and specially in the unbreakable has a conflict and I find it more interesting that he uses the mirror and reflections because in real life, if a person wanna know himself he/she can think about herself/himself in their minds and when you see yourself in your mind "Thats your reflection" right? So M.Night is smart, he brings that MIND, AS A MIRROR in this films.

His movies may not that big epic ones, but for sure they are all unique and different and we see 'inside his mind' in each of his films that directs himself.

I love his movies and I have deep respect for Mr.Mnight.

-ROHAN

Great post!

Decadent Sympozium

• Unbreakable

• Email
« Reply #12 on: July 07, 2008, 06:19:21 PM »
In the Howard's album tracklist, there is a song titled "Reflection of Elijah". (Elijah, itself as made, is an extremly complex character.) Since all tracktitles are straightforward, and speak of plot and scenes literally, it grants you the needed insight into Shyamalan's motive. It could be any of the possible theories, from self-reflections to Rohan's MIND, but they are most likely our figments of imagination due to powerful contet of Unbreakable. In reality, the logic tells us the mirroring of this movie, linked by the idea of two-point spectrum, is the ELEMENT. It is a detail that "reflects" and reminds of the movie's theme, and it strictly belongs to Elijah with purpose of character enrichment. Studying this, however, might lead us to a very interesting observation brought by Wags as it may actually be the subpoint beyond.
Manoj Night Shyamalan is Charles Baudelaire of movie art. That is non-deniable. Baudelaire's value is non-deniable.

Namaste

• Personal Text
    The divine in me bows before the divine in you.
    • myspace
« Reply #13 on: July 07, 2008, 11:14:28 PM »
Huummm...

Two words, diametrically opposed

That's what i was thinking. But in a different way than you were. (i was hoping to be the first person to present this view) Mr. Glass and David are two extremes of the same spectrum. They are infinintely breakable and unbreakable respectively. It's sort of a yin and yang thing. good and evil. black and white (take that as a racial reference if you will, but thats not all i mean) one has a supernatural sense about people, and the other seems to have no feelings for other people at all. Mr. Glass said he NEEDED his opposite..his counterbalance.

a couple other ideas floating around: glass and water are both reflective and transparent at the same time. Mr glass does have a twisted/upside-down worldview (as someone else mentioned). Mr Glass and David find their life's purpose in each other, as though they see their own life reflected back to them.

I've only seen the movie once and should watch it again, but take those ideas and run with them.
See the villain's larger eyes insinuating a just-off-normal perspective on how they see the world? I see signs Lucius Hunt; just not as you see dead people. I am so very happy we saw..each other, and no I will not tell you what color love is. Stop asking.

GenPion

• Unbreakable

• Email
« Reply #14 on: July 09, 2008, 05:39:02 PM »
While I agree that this movie's main meaning lies in representing the human struggle between Good and Evil I think it also falls in line with something else as well, that I have found to be true of all great comic-book stories (no matter the medium): that what separates the hero from the villain is often nothing more than choice. From a perspective of looking at their background, both characters have been broken, despite the fact that David is unbreakable physically he has had various events throughout his life that have hurt him emotionally (and this is reflected in the film's present time with his marriage issues) that would suggest he could have become some kind of villain himself had he chosen a different kind of path. Instead, perhaps a clear example of his strong character, he chooses to be a security guard and to help people before he even realizes his hidden potential. Elijah, on the other hand, was born into pain, though he received love and care from a mother that wanted to help him be a normal boy. He was an outcast, to be sure, but looking at the comic book that his mother placed for him across the street here begins one of the larger questions: what is good or bad? He loves comic books his whole life and clearly believed in the idea of heroes existing: Certainly, the whole film he means to help David discover his potential to help others. But at what cost? When it i revealed that he started the tragic events that eventually led to his discovery of David that is when his true character is on full display. His decisions, throughout life, are what led him to a path of destruction and endless suffering. Had he met David another way and realized his potential without the mass murder he committed there is a very real possibility they would have become close friends: not enemies, as they become at the end of the story (which is very much true to the best of comic books and is more than likely the main reason I love these kinds of stories in the first place).

Decisions. The Power of Choice.

And the consequences...

Yes, this movie is about the struggle between Good and Evil but it is much more. It demonstrates how these qualities can be found in all of us at once but it is not possible paths that define us, as both David and Elijah could have been heroes or villians, it is the decisions we make throughout our life that lead to our destinations.