Yeah, But Did Anyone Else Find The Movie Confusing

Author Topic: Yeah, But Did Anyone Else Find The Movie Confusing  (Read 5385 times)

dahlia212

• Praying with Anger

« on: November 14, 2005, 11:47:04 AM »
 Okay, I think the reason why critics are having such a hard time with this movie is because, simply put, it's just so confusing.  I think I've got it, though - tell me if I'm wrong.

Confusion #1:  Are the Elders of The Village people who had a traumatic loss in their lives that made them afraid to live in regular society, or are they people who witnessed violent crimes and went crazy, or are they themselves the criminals who committed the crimes?  Whatever the reason, they all live in the 'Village' (it seems like some chose, and others were forced).  I'm assuming that the whole thing is some sort of government-funded mental facility and these people are being kept away from open society for various reasons.  (Confusion 1A - if it's a mental facility, where are the damn doctors?)

Confusion #2:  Those We Do Not Speak Of.  I'm assuming they were supposed to be a personification of the traumatic events that led these people to the Village in the first place (or of their victims that they won't take responsibility for killing).  The Villagers don't want to think about that stuff, so when people start bringing it up, or if someone starts talking about the outside world period, something bad happens.  I'm also assuming that Noah to play TWDNSO because he was retarded (and that's how most people feel about the mentally ill, even people who are mentally ill).  I'm also assuming that any time someone dies in the Village, it's never from natural causes.  Someone there killed them, and they just blame on it TWDNSO.

Confusion #3:  I understand that When Lucius got attacked, it upset the balance of the Village.  So, in order to reset the balance, they decide to let the blind girl go into the woods?  I do get that she's an excellent cover - she's blind so she won't be able to really tell them what happened, and people in the Village really like her, so if she makes it back, they can pretty much all live their 'escape' fantasies through her.  What's confusing is Noah?  Why did he follow her into the woods?  I get that he was pissed, and when he's upset, he kills something, and he was pissed at Ivy.  How did he know where Ivy was in the first place?  Who told him she went into the woods.  He was locked up?  Who let him out in the first place?  Were the Elders trying to get rid of Ivy, Noah, or both of them.

Confusion #4:  Why did Ivy's father tell her the truth?  I figure so if something went wrong, she wouldn't be afraid.  But, I'm not sure if he told her because he expected her to make it back, or because he expected her NOT to make it.  Did he send his daughter to appease Lucius' mother because her son got stabbed because of his daughter?  Did they send Noah after Ivy so she could get retribution against him for attacking Lucius?  After she made it back, won't they have to kill Ivy (since she knows the truth) so she won't tell Lucius?

I have more confusion (as I usually do after seeing one of M. Night's movies), but for now, that's all.

Thanx.   :P  

Azi

• LITW

« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2005, 05:04:13 PM »
 They did all of that for love dahlia212...they did all of that for love...

>Azi
It's like War of the Worlds
-Merrill, Signs

Ghanima

• Wide Awake

« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2005, 05:06:06 PM »
 OK...I read all your confusions and because I have seen this film at least 15 times I should be able to clear a couple of things up for you...

The Elders are the oldest members of the village...they founded it after witnessing horrible crimes.  Everyone else was either born into the village or were too young to remember when it was created.  Ivy's father had a lot of funding from his father's death and he paid the govenment to not fly planes over the village or let anyone into the woods.  This is not some kind of govt-backed institution.

TWDNSO are meant to scare people so the don't cross the border and go to "the towns" or the modern world the villagers left behind.  The wear the color of blood and in some ways symbolize the violence of the outside world but the never killed anyone. They are just the elders in disguise.

I never thought about how Noah knew to follow Ivy before.  We can only assume that he heard through a window about the expedition or something like that.

Okay first off Walker 100% thinks Ivy will make it back and this is where most of your confusion is sprouting from.  He tells Ivy that it is all lies so she will not be afraid to go to the towns to save Lucious.  Remember Ivy knows TWDNSO of are false but she does not know that her town is secluded from the rest of the modern world.  The most important point that you missed is that at the end of the film Ivy thinks there still are TWDNSO because she was attacked by Noah.  The Elders tell the town that Noah was killed by TWDNSO and the secret is kept.  Ivy does not know she killed Noah.

I hope that helps...any questions?

dahlia212

• Praying with Anger

« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2005, 01:56:13 PM »
 Love?   :huh: I'm sorry, I don't see love.  All I see is a bunch of people who, for some unknown reason, are choosing to play God with other people's lives.  In my mind, that doesn't equal love.  Love is selfless - what they're doing is selfish.

Or maybe that's just how my mind works.    :)  

Ghanima

• Wide Awake

« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2005, 03:33:06 PM »
 I se what you're saying, but all the elders were trying to do was protect the people they loved.  Later on they realized that you can't hide from tragedy.  That is why Walker let Ivy lead, Noah had committed a crime as great as the ones they had created the village to avoid.  Letting Lucious die to keep their secret was not something Walker was willing to do.

unlimited6

• The Sixth Sense

• Personal Text
    you get what you get because you do what you do.
« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2005, 04:39:41 PM »
 all i know is it was one hell of a movie....way too go,hope the next one is just as good.too and bryce is way hottttt,kinda like kuddle that post on here wheres she at anyways?????,,,he he he...
Tell me the story about why you're sad. cole sear-"the sixth sense"

marco

• Futuristic (After Earth)

• Personal Text
    "Look! A circle!" - "Yeah...what's the problem?"
« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2005, 05:57:56 AM »
QUOTE (Ghanima @ Nov 15 2005, 03:33 PM)
I se what you're saying, but all the elders were trying to do was protect the people they loved.  Later on they realized that you can't hide from tragedy.  That is why Walker let Ivy lead, Noah had committed a crime as great as the ones they had created the village to avoid.  Letting Lucious die to keep their secret was not something Walker was willing to do. [/quote]
 I totally agree with you.
"Welcome to The Cove"

DeadVegas

• Praying with Anger

« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2006, 08:40:31 PM »
QUOTE (dahlia212 @ Nov 15 2005, 01:56 PM)
Love?   :huh: I'm sorry, I don't see love.  All I see is a bunch of people who, for some unknown reason, are choosing to play God with other people's lives.  In my mind, that doesn't equal love.  Love is selfless - what they're doing is selfish.

Or maybe that's just how my mind works.    :) [/quote]
 That's the irony.

Dr.Hill42

• LITW

• http://www.nate24.blogspot.com
« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2006, 10:39:23 PM »

Love?  I'm sorry, I don't see love. All I see is a bunch of people who, for some unknown reason, are choosing to play God with other people's lives. In my mind, that doesn't equal love. Love is selfless - what they're doing is selfish.

Or maybe that's just how my mind works.  

You saw no love between Ivy and Lucius? I think you should pay a bit more attention to the beautiful story and less attention on the monsters...hehe

They say this one has a surprise ending.
~Dr.Hill42

Rohan

• Global Moderator

• nightwriter22
« Reply #9 on: January 12, 2006, 01:44:06 PM »
 Alright guys, I read all the above posts this and that regarding "The Village" its simple if you think a little bit more not only about "The Village" but all of his movies like I said earlier at the "UNBREAKABLE" topic regarding "The Meaning of reflections" that his vision and mind is on these films.

First of all every M.Night film has something to do with LOVE and second of all "The Village" is a love story and different kind of love story that I got goose bumps.

I don't care what the critics thought about "The Village" because I think they all have to take a look back at the movie and think about it.

The Village is a movie purely "Introduces Yourself to yourself" not the characters in the film, but people like us who have seen this film. Let me clear it here that THE VILLAGE is about CREATURES hiding in the woods and the villagers are scared of those unknown and unseen creatures. But if we use our brains the god's another wonderful gift we together can see that "THE VILLAGE" is like a WORLD and this WORLD is A VILLAGE and we are all the villagers. We all have seen wars, crimes of all kind, and M.Night brought that world that we are living in an small village.

I am sure we all fall in love once in life "I mean true love" not like have girl or boy for a month, I mean love for like "the village"  Bryce loves his Phoenix and ADREIN BRODY loves BRYCE DALLAS, like that.

The Village introduced me to myself that I stupid I was before. It is an common myths and theories all over the world that "there are creatures and there is boogyman, there is candyman. Like when I was small my mother used to tell me that "sleep" hurry my son, behind the trees hiding a living thing, poor me a kid like me used to go to sleep like in snap. LOL

Today still not only me, but I am sure every human has a sense of that when they are alone something might just get them from behind or attack them from behind. It happened to me actually and still happens sometimes when I get in a room alone like in dark I think woh,,and I get myself quickly out of my room. It happened to my friend one in his home, I was watching tv in the living room and he went to his room and all of sudden he started running back and screaming under his tongue and I was like what the hell happened to you he replied that "damn man, I thought something was standing behind me. I started laughing at him.

So I am sure this things happens to all humans of any religion and race. In THE VILLAGE samething is going on they have seen no  creatures but they are all scared of going to the woods and to the cities.

THE VILLAGE IS A WORLD AND IN THE WORLD WE LIVE AND OUR MOTHERS AND FATHERS TOLD US FAIRYTALES AND SCARED US AND IN THE MOVIE "The Village" THE ELDERS TOLD THEIR CHILDREN ABOUT THOSE FAIRYTALES THAT WE HAVE BEEN TOLD.

THE VILLAGE IS WORLD AND THE WORLD IS A VILLAGE AND WE ARE THE VILLAGERS.

I hope you guys understand me here! If not we still can discuss more.

-ROHAN

Wags

• The Happening

« Reply #10 on: January 12, 2006, 04:17:09 PM »
 Thats a really good interpretation.  I always thought The Village was a film about evil.  And these people (the elders) chose to leave the evil society to live in peace in simpler times when everything was innocent.  Thats why when Lucius went into the woods, wanting to go to the towns, Mr. Walker says "You are fearless in I way I shall never know".  Because Mr. Walker never wants to return to the towns, to the real world.

But what we learn from all this is that no matter what, you can never totally escape hurt and heartache.  Noah shows them that.  And in the end, with Kevin the border guard,  we learn that while the world may have its evil people , there are still some good ones out there, and that you should never loose hope for humanity.

Rohan

• Global Moderator

• nightwriter22
« Reply #11 on: January 12, 2006, 08:16:32 PM »
QUOTE (Wags @ Jan 12 2006, 04:17 PM)
Thats a really good interpretation.  I always thought The Village was a film about evil.  And these people (the elders) chose to leave the evil society to live in peace in simpler times when everything was innocent.  Thats why when Lucius went into the woods, wanting to go to the towns, Mr. Walker says "You are fearless in I way I shall never know".  Because Mr. Walker never wants to return to the towns, to the real world.

But what we learn from all this is that no matter what, you can never totally escape hurt and heartache.  Noah shows them that.  And in the end, with Kevin the border guard,  we learn that while the world may have its evil people , there are still some good ones out there, and that you should never loose hope for humanity. [/quote]
 Yep, thats what I meant in the above post, The Village is WORLD and WORLD is like a VILLAGE and we are the villagers.

-Rohan

MNightFan430

• The Village

« Reply #12 on: July 03, 2006, 07:36:50 PM »
 All I have to say is the reason Edward told Ivy "the secret" was because if they didn't tell anyone about the creatures, who would continue their life-style?  Who would dress-up and continue to keep the town scared?  The elders won't live forever...
See...tell him to see...  Tell Merrill to swing away.

okokokok

• LITW

« Reply #13 on: August 04, 2006, 11:46:53 PM »
 In that NPR or the screenwriting magazine (dont remember which one) interview M Night talks about The Village and LitW being cousins in they are about how people deal with horrible painful things happening to them.  In the Village, people who suffered from tragedy tried to create a wall around them and the real world so they wouldn't have to deal with such tragedy again. In LitW, Cleveland walks away from his old life, and hides away from the world, but he doesn't shut it out completely.  They are playing god in a way in "The Village", but not for the sake of playing god.  It is not outside of reason to do something as desperate as this after dealing with the tragedy of a loved one getting murdered.  They do it because they had all loved someone dearly and they are trying to prevent the same thing from happening again, however wrong it is. They can justify it because they have nothing but the best of intentions.

leelee

• The Sixth Sense

« Reply #14 on: August 05, 2006, 11:14:11 AM »
 The Village is not confusing at all, but the thing is you're thinking about it way too much and making it more confusing than it is. You yourself said: "I'm sorry, I don't see love. All I see is a bunch of people who, for some unknown reason, are choosing to play God with other people's lives. In my mind, that doesn't equal love. Love is selfless - what they're doing is selfish."

and that there is the point. They did what they did because they thought they were protecting them from all the evils of the world but what they were doing was wrong in and of itself. And no matter how hard they tried they couldn't keep evil out.