Theatricle Window Debate

Author Topic: Theatricle Window Debate  (Read 4325 times)

Dr.Hill42

• LITW

• http://www.nate24.blogspot.com
Theatricle Window Debate
« on: January 29, 2006, 11:25:56 PM »
 This issue has been buggin' me for the past few months. We all know Night's view. He says "It's life or death" to him. I have the same strong love for the theatre. I like the feeling I get when I go see a movie, the atmosphere, the excitement, and the all around wonderful experience. If the theatricle window is to be done away with, I really don't doubt the fall of the theatre. Some people are looking at this with closed minds. They think the theatre is doing bad how it is now, they see it as inevitable that the business in the theatres will crumble. Night nows well though. I really liked the point he made about "March of the Penguins". Something to the fact of, 'If a documentary about penguins can make 75 million, theres still a market'. I want to hear your views though.  

They say this one has a surprise ending.
~Dr.Hill42

Wags

• The Happening

Theatricle Window Debate
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2006, 11:34:19 AM »
 I totally agree with you, and Night.  The experience of the theatre is what drawas people to it.  But I do feel that the ever closing window between movie and DVD release will hurt the business more, because as much as well all love going to see the movies, there is one thing that will keep people at home ordering them On-Demand: CONVENIENCE.  That's why there are McDonalds on every street.  That's why restaraunts are everywhere: because people are lazy and would rather not have to drive out somewhere when they can sit at home and watch a movie while still in their pajamas, in the comfort of their leather couch with a kickin' sorround sound.

And as for the "Crumbling theatre" I view it as this: evolotion is finally kicking in and people are getting smarter.  They aren't gonna run out and shell out twenty bucks to see Deuce Bigalow: European Gigolo.  

Although, it appears they don't have a problem seeing Big Momma's House 2  :blink:  

Rohan

• Global Moderator
  • Futuristic (After Earth)

• nightwriter22
Theatricle Window Debate
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2006, 04:29:23 PM »
 Hi,

I really would comment and give my opinion here, but since I don't really know what is THEATRICAL WINDOW? Can somebody explain to me and why it is good...then I will comment on it..

-Rohan

Dr.Hill42

• LITW

Theatricle Window Debate
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2006, 04:42:15 PM »
 Theatricle Window is the time between the release of a film in Theatres to the realease on DVD, on demand, ect.

Sorry, I probably should have made that evident in the first post.

~Dr.Hill42

Rohan

• Global Moderator

• nightwriter22
Theatricle Window Debate
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2006, 06:13:19 PM »
QUOTE (Dr.Hill42 @ Jan 30 2006, 04:42 PM)
Theatricle Window is the time between the release of a film in Theatres to the realease on DVD, on demand, ect.

Sorry, I probably should have made that evident in the first post. [/quote]
 Alrite now I am on the track a little bit, So M.Night wants to have the theatrical window? Or he disagrees with it.

-ROhan

Rohan

• Global Moderator

• nightwriter22
Theatricle Window Debate
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2006, 06:18:57 PM »
 I think I know what that means now, as I was reading the posts above it made it clear to me.

See I agree with M.Night and I want movies to play longer in theatres and it should be out on DVDs like atleast after 7 months and that will really make the business perfect.

No one wanna watch a movie release on theatre, on dvd at the same time, its really sounds stupid..

"Then I Gonna Be like this" hey dude,, Lady In The Water DVD is coming out this summer...wanna buy it? ahah  sounds really stupid.

You know all this thing started when this stupid director "Steven Soderburg" came out with this idea I guess, he just recently released one of his movies "BUBBLE" in theatres, in dvd will be coming out and the movie is now on playing "some channel" known as "HDfilms" channel..I think..

Steven Soderburg is way stupid

-ROhan

Dr.Hill42

• LITW

Theatricle Window Debate
« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2006, 07:29:02 PM »
 You're right on. Although Steven Soderburg and Night have the same love for film and Night has a mutual respect for him, they have their seperate views. They have had their talks which Night seemed to think were exhilerating. I'm sure it was interesting to hear Soderburg's point of view. I think Bubble will be one of those movies I end up boycotting and slumping around using it as a curse. The last movie I did this with was Duece Bigalow...European Gigalow....ha thats kinda low eh?

~Dr.Hill42

Rohan

• Global Moderator

• nightwriter22
Theatricle Window Debate
« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2006, 08:04:28 PM »
QUOTE (Dr.Hill42 @ Jan 31 2006, 07:29 PM)
You're right on. Although Steven Soderburg and Night have the same love for film and Night has a mutual respect for him, they have their seperate views. They have had their talks which Night seemed to think were exhilerating. I'm sure it was interesting to hear Soderburg's point of view. I think Bubble will be one of those movies I end up boycotting and slumping around using it as a curse. The last movie I did this with was Duece Bigalow...European Gigalow....ha thats kinda low eh? [/quote]
 yeah I know, but wasn't this steven's idea to actually move theatrical window....

-Rohan

Dr.Hill42

• LITW

Theatricle Window Debate
« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2006, 08:06:47 PM »
 No, not his alone, hes just going through with it.

~Dr.Hill42

Dr Malcolm Crowe

• Global Moderator

• http://www.teddyblass.com
Theatricle Window Debate
« Reply #9 on: February 02, 2006, 12:41:35 PM »
 I am all for watching movies at the movie theater, but if it came down to the elimination of the movie theater, or the elimination of DVD's, my vote is for the elimination of the theater!
HDTV is usually clearer than the theater, 5.1 surround sound at home is kick-ass. No $4.50 sodas and $5.50 popcorns. Plus no fat-ass chewing and talking in your ear the whole time!
But the movie theater isn't going anywhere, so don't worry.
I am glad that Night is standing up for something he believes in!

Rohan

• Global Moderator

• nightwriter22
Theatricle Window Debate
« Reply #10 on: February 02, 2006, 12:54:36 PM »
 To me, No Matter how latest in technology and science the home theatre systems gets and no matter how fancy they will become and no matter how great they will become, BUT I WILL STILL GO TO THEATRE, CAUSE THEATRE HAS A DIFFERENT TASTE AND DIFFERENT ENVIRONMENT AND A UNIQUE PLEASURE YOU GET WHILE STANDING at the boxoffice window and asking few tickets and you go watch the movie you want.

I will get myself home theatre system, but still my steps will be towards going to a theatre close to my home...thats what I am talking about.

-ROhan

Wags

• The Happening

Theatricle Window Debate
« Reply #11 on: February 02, 2006, 05:25:42 PM »
QUOTE (Dr Malcom Crowe @ Feb 2 2006, 12:41 PM)
No $4.50 sodas and $5.50 popcorns. [/quote]
 All right, I have to clear this up.  As an employee of a movie theatre, I hear countless times the complaining of the expenisve food and beverages.  But here is why:

Movie theatres make very miniscule amounts of money from that $8.50 ticket. Im talking less than half.  IT all goes to the movie companies.  And so, to keep that enormous megaplex with all the advanced movie showing technology in business, we must sell our food at high prices to make money.  

Dr.Hill42

• LITW

Theatricle Window Debate
« Reply #12 on: February 02, 2006, 06:05:12 PM »
 I'm tired of this complaint as well. Either 5 dollar popcorns or 20 dollar tickets, you choose.

~Dr.Hill42

Dr Malcolm Crowe

• Global Moderator

• http://www.teddyblass.com
Theatricle Window Debate
« Reply #13 on: February 02, 2006, 09:21:12 PM »

I'm tired of this complaint as well. Either 5 dollar popcorns or 20 dollar tickets, you choose.
That is exactly why people said "Nope! I'm paying $3.75 for a DVD rental, screw you Regal Cinemas!"

All right, I have to clear this up. As an employee of a movie theatre, I hear countless times the complaining of the expenisve food and beverages. But here is why:

Movie theatres make very miniscule amounts of money from that $8.50 ticket. Im talking less than half. IT all goes to the movie companies. And so, to keep that enormous megaplex with all the advanced movie showing technology in business, we must sell our food at high prices to make money.
I think most intelligent people fiqured that out, but just because thats the way things are, doesn't mean people have to put up with it.
Obviously there is a problem with the business. They better find a way to please their customers or they will lose em. If it's broke, fix it! You can't just say "deal with it". Thats why DVD's are becoming more popular than theaters.

Don't get me wrong, I love watching movies at the theater. There are some movies that are absolutely more entertaining in a sold out theater than they could ever be at home, but we can't pretend everything is a-ok.

Wags

• The Happening

Theatricle Window Debate
« Reply #14 on: February 03, 2006, 01:21:16 AM »
 Very valid, and I totally agree with you, it is rather crooked the way theatres are run.

But here's a cool little tidbit:  most theatres allow you to bring in outside foods.  And you dont even have to sneak it in.  Maybe it's just the chain I work in, but  I once had to let a group of people in that were carrying little ceasars pizza boxes.  Outside food isn't prohibited, it just isn't advertised that its allowed.