Theatricle Window Debate

Author Topic: Theatricle Window Debate  (Read 4329 times)

Rohan

• Global Moderator
  • Futuristic (After Earth)

• nightwriter22
Theatricle Window Debate
« Reply #15 on: February 03, 2006, 06:22:39 PM »
 Well, its not really important to actually you have to buy POPcorn and a drink to watch a movie, I buy my ticket and watch the movie only and I really don't like "eating or "drinking" while watching the movie at the same time, I can eat that after I come out from the movie or either prepare something at home........

U don't have to buy things..lol

-rohan

Dr Malcolm Crowe

• Global Moderator

• http://www.teddyblass.com
Theatricle Window Debate
« Reply #16 on: February 04, 2006, 12:05:54 PM »
 I don't buy things, but thats not that point. The point is that movie theaters are becoming less and less popular. They can't blame DVD's or cable, they have to realize that they are part of the problem and they need to fix some of those problems if they want to gain back some of their lost business.

Rohan

• Global Moderator

• nightwriter22
Theatricle Window Debate
« Reply #17 on: February 04, 2006, 08:17:54 PM »
QUOTE (Dr Malcom Crowe @ Feb 4 2006, 12:05 PM)
I don't buy things, but thats not that point. The point is that movie theaters are becoming less and less popular. They can't blame DVD's or cable, they have to realize that they are part of the problem and they need to fix some of those problems if they want to gain back some of their lost business. [/quote]
 So what you think Theatres should do or change?

Rohan

Dr Malcolm Crowe

• Global Moderator

Theatricle Window Debate
« Reply #18 on: February 05, 2006, 01:20:28 PM »

I think there is both minor and major stuff that could be changed. I'm not a theater owner, so I don't know what is fesiable for a business to do or not do. Simple stuff is the lowering of consession prices. I don't care if that is the biggest revenue the theater sees, but making 98% profit on a soda is obviously taking advantage of the customer. They could afford to make 68% profit on a soda which would cut the price by a bunch for the customer. Same goes with Popcorn and Candy. I'd rather they did away with Nachos because the last thing I want to hear after paying $8 to see a movie if some fat ass chowing down on some nachos, let a lone the horrid smell. But I know that request is a bit unreasonable. Ticket prices are fair, thats one thing they seem to be doing right (at least here in Orlando). A big change would be for them to go digital. I can honestly watch a more clear picture at home than I can in a movie theater, and that is a problem. Dump the old technology and go for digital projectors. Companies have to move with technology or technology will be the cause of the death of that company. And that is the state of the business for theaters right now, dvd's, hd-dvd's, hdtvs, 5.1 surround sound are offering movie goers a better viewing experience in most cases.

Shyamalan actually gave his speach to theater owners here in Orlando. If I would of known ahead of time, I would have shown up, even though I'm not a theater owner, lol.

But here's a cool little tidbit: most theatres allow you to bring in outside foods. And you dont even have to sneak it in. Maybe it's just the chain I work in, but I once had to let a group of people in that were carrying little ceasars pizza boxes. Outside food isn't prohibited, it just isn't advertised that its allowed.

I don't know what chain you work for, but I know that Regal Cinemas in Orlando does not hold that policy. I have been told several times that I wasn't allowed to bring in outside food/drinks. There is one exception, the Regal Cinemas I go to is part of one of these shopping "villages", I don't know if you all have these where you live, but It's essentially an outside mall that looks cute. Well, there is a local Ice Cream shoppe next to the theater, and the theater allows you to bring in their Ice Cream.

Rohan

• Global Moderator

• nightwriter22
Theatricle Window Debate
« Reply #19 on: February 05, 2006, 03:12:40 PM »
 Well, I really don't know about the popcorn,soda, or candy prices in first place specially in theatres because I never bought one while going into movies. That's just my habit and I have no clue why some people have problems buying those stuff.

I think the prices of the tickets nationwide in each theatre is just perfect and they should never increase or decrease it. $10 is just perfect and even some theatres in some small towns charge about even 6 0r 7 dollars.

Couple of months ago, this theatre owners were talking on CNN regarding the commercials before a movie starts in the big screen, two of the "owners" said that we moved commercials completly because those commercials are on TV also and people come to watch movies and they watch those commercials again! and even that CNN anchor that I don't remember who she was, said that "thats a good decision" and hope other theatre owners follow you two.

There are some commercials in theatres, like IPOD,COKE,Even I saw victoria Secret commercial.... and I went to theatres to watch KING KONG but they didn't showed commercials anymore, just a big screensaver offering some mortgage fonts appears and then after few minutes they showed UPCOMING Trailors and then the movie.

Regal Cinemas I think shows "commercials" I guess, its been more than two years I haven't been into Regal cinemas. Here is two theatres close to me "AMC" and Century theatres.

-Rohan

Wags

• The Happening

Theatricle Window Debate
« Reply #20 on: February 05, 2006, 06:22:57 PM »
QUOTE (Dr Malcom Crowe @ Feb 5 2006, 01:20 PM)

I'd rather they did away with Nachos because the last thing I want to hear after paying $8 to see a movie if some fat ass chowing down on some nachos, let a lone the horrid smell. But I know that request is a bit unreasonable. Ticket prices are fair, thats one thing they seem to be doing right (at least here in Orlando).

A big change would be for them to go digital. I can honestly watch a more clear picture at home than I can in a movie theater, and that is a problem. Dump the old technology and go for digital projectors. Companies have to move with technology or technology will be the cause of the death of that company. And that is the state of the business for theaters right now, dvd's, hd-dvd's, hdtvs, 5.1 surround sound are offering movie goers a better viewing experience in most cases.

But here's a cool little tidbit: most theatres allow you to bring in outside foods. And you dont even have to sneak it in. Maybe it's just the chain I work in, but I once had to let a group of people in that were carrying little ceasars pizza boxes. Outside food isn't prohibited, it just isn't advertised that its allowed.

I don't know what chain you work for, but I know that Regal Cinemas in Orlando does not hold that policy. I have been told several times that I wasn't allowed to bring in outside food/drinks. There is one exception, the Regal Cinemas I go to is part of one of these shopping "villages", I don't know if you all have these where you live, but It's essentially an outside mall that looks cute. Well, there is a local Ice Cream shoppe next to the theater, and the theater allows you to bring in their Ice Cream. [/quote]
 I totally agree with you with the nachos.  They are really loud and distracting.  I also hate boxes of small candy, that they have to ratte to get some (like buncha-crunch and milk duds) .

And as for the digital technology in theatres, i think I read somewhere that one chain is starting the transition to digital tecnology.  Maybe Carmike or something.

Rohan

• Global Moderator

• nightwriter22
Theatricle Window Debate
« Reply #21 on: February 06, 2006, 08:23:47 PM »
 What kind of think you guys want theatres to change in terms of technology,,?  cause when I go to movies,,the screens are perfect and so as the loud surround sound...

-Rohan

Dr.Hill42

• LITW

• http://www.nate24.blogspot.com
Theatricle Window Debate
« Reply #22 on: February 06, 2006, 08:44:09 PM »
 If you've ever been to a house with an all out 5.1 surround and what not theatre system installed, you'd know the difference. It really is amazing.

They say this one has a surprise ending.
~Dr.Hill42

Dr Malcolm Crowe

• Global Moderator

Theatricle Window Debate
« Reply #23 on: February 06, 2006, 10:46:30 PM »
 After watching HDTV programming and DVD's I soon realized how imperfect movie theater projections and screens are.

Rohan

• Global Moderator

• nightwriter22
Theatricle Window Debate
« Reply #24 on: February 07, 2006, 05:03:46 PM »
 I think they are good,,lol.....  Theatre systems at home,,, are cool too,,but still watching a movie on the big screen is a different taste..

-Rohan