Blah

Author Topic: Blah  (Read 1919 times)

Azi

• LITW

Blah
« on: January 31, 2006, 09:50:32 AM »
 Elective classes are the best part of the day for many students. I was appalled when I heard the news that the Clay County School Board was considering removing electives in order to save money. I firmly believe that elective courses should stay at our county?s schools. Students learn more, prepare for college, and receive career training through elective courses. I pray the Board will approach this letter with an open mind; mine and my fellow students? futures hang in the balance.

To begin, it is vital to retain the elective classes since students learn more with them than without them. In elective courses, students participate in hands-on activities such as surveys and constructions. It has been proven that these types of hands-on activities are advantageous to a student?s learning experience. It is also a fact that students retain more information if they have a 1 hour break period before attempting any kind of learning activity. Since classes are 50 minutes long, these elective classes also double as a ?break period? which students can use to help them learn more in the next period.

In addition, an elective period is important because it prepares students for college. Many students choose electives that they can use to aid them in their college experience. I, for instance, am planning on majoring in political science. Consequently, I am taking such elective classes as debate and American government. In the eyes of colleges you?ve applied to, elective courses define you. Colleges need to know that there are other things than just bookwork that their applicants can exceed in; elective courses are indicators of what students are interested in and how those can be applied to their course selections.

At last, and most importantly, elective classes provide career training. When students take classes such as auto mechanics, it prepares them for life in the outside world. These vocational classes are the most crucial of the elective classes. Furthermore, this could also be applied to the concept from above concerning college preparation; the student could use their knowledge from elective courses to apply for a vocational college. Finally, what better is there to learn in a class than what can be used in daily life?

To conclude, elective classes should, and must, stay at schools. Students who participate in elective classes learn more and obtain college preparation and career training. In the end, it all comes down to one question: Is it just to deprive students of such beneficial courses?

It's like War of the Worlds
-Merrill, Signs

kuddle kat

• Wide Awake

• Email
Blah
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2006, 06:56:45 PM »
 thats nice............
Your friend, carrie.

Mr_Glass.1

• Futuristic (After Earth)

• Email
Re: Blah
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2007, 08:12:44 PM »
I know it's late to post on this but well said, I agree.  More people should read this. 
I see the world Lucius Hunt, just not the way you see it.

Ivy Walker to Lucius Hunt in The Village