Did M. Night / Wb Rip Off The Lady In The Water?

Author Topic: Did M. Night / Wb Rip Off The Lady In The Water?  (Read 5765 times)

Dr Malcolm Crowe

• Global Moderator
  • Futuristic (After Earth)

• http://www.teddyblass.com
« on: February 21, 2006, 06:33:36 PM »
 Did M. Night or WB steal the Lady in the Water poster from another movie?

Someone mentioned this over at IMDb.com
This movie is an independent from 2004.

any thoughts?

Dr.Hill42

• LITW

• http://www.nate24.blogspot.com
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2006, 07:14:27 PM »
 I'm not sure if that was purposefully done. It doesn't seem like something Night would do. I doubt Night was the one who designed the poster. But maybe, he does seem very involved with EVERYTHING. If there are hardcore fans for this movie (I'm not sure how) I can see how they would be mad. It is very similar. But I wouldn't go as far as to call it a "rip off". Posters dont make great movies. Don't make such a fuss about it.  

They say this one has a surprise ending.
~Dr.Hill42

Dr Malcolm Crowe

• Global Moderator

« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2006, 10:42:29 PM »

Posters dont make great movies
In the end, you are absolutely right.

But I did find it a bit strange. The chances that this a coincidence is unlikely. Foot prints over wood planks with a vertical vanishing point and isolated lighting? Someone got the idea from someone else, the question is who? The kid over at IMDb mentioned that this is a movie from 2004, and he rented this movie recently. But, is the dvd art work from 2004? or did the producers of this movie find a good way to market a unheard of movie to an american audience by drawing simularties in artwork to that of a highly popular american director??  

Dr.Hill42

• LITW

« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2006, 11:19:41 PM »

or did the producers of this movie find a good way to market a unheard of movie to an american audience by drawing simularties in artwork to that of a highly popular american director??

Thats a very valid point. Now that I look at it more closely...the two posters are very alike...almost scary...what you have to ask yourself is, is it possible that there are no coincidences?

Ok that was a lame omage.

~Dr.Hill42

Dr Malcolm Crowe

• Global Moderator

« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2006, 11:42:02 PM »

what you have to ask yourself is, is it possible that there are no coincidences?

Ok that was a lame omage.
no no, I loved it. It made me laugh! :lol:

I did some research, cause god damn it, I'm not going to let anyone one make false allegations against M. Night!!  :angry:  :rolleyes:
I checked out Amazon.com (USA - Canada) and they both showed different artwork!! I think my theory might have been right, but I still have more work to do...

Rohan

• Global Moderator

• nightwriter22
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2006, 04:59:52 PM »
 WOW! I am just speechless about the poster, when first I saw it here I thougt wait its probably from Lady In The water and read the title "Shallow Ground" I am really pissed off,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,.

But I have done some thinking regarding this poster, do you guys remember when before THE VILLAGE comes out worldwide in theatres, M.Night's Buried Secret Documantery came out,,,it was aired on Sci-fi and later after The Release of The Village, its DVD came out.

Now WB/Mnight together made an poster of "Shallow Ground" almost similar and released on DVD which may be a low budget independant movie by someone else to actually BOOST "Lady In The Water"

If not, then this is true that M.Night Would Never Copy or steal someone elses work......the mind which brought us "The Sixth Sense" The Village, Signs, Unbreakable,,,,that mind won't steal but it will CREATE ideas and thats M.Night's Mind.

I heard somewhere that M.Night won't release or make any other trailor for "Lady In The Water" until its release day, I don't know if thats true or not but I think its a good idea and M.Night is GAMBLING here between Audience, his work, boxoffice and the way that Hollywood Trailors release, I mean he is totally trying different thing if thats true that he won't be making another trailor for "Lady In The Water"

I personally think that there will be atleast one more trailor......

-Rohan

Dr.Hill42

• LITW

« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2006, 06:18:02 PM »

Now WB/Mnight together made an poster of "Shallow Ground" almost similar and released on DVD which may be a low budget independant movie by someone else to actually BOOST "Lady In The Water

I highly doubt that. Thats not the kind of posotive publicity WB would want to have. As for the "No Trailer" theory, that is incentive for a person to see a movie...but I think in the back of a few people's mind there will always be the "Maybe 'cause theres nothing good to show" thought. Although there's no doubt in my mind that "Lady" will show all the same characteristics as hes past movies (cinematography and story) that first inspired me, I'm not entirely sure this one will get as much publicity as The Village or Signs.

~Dr.Hill42

Ghanima

• Wide Awake

« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2006, 07:04:29 AM »
 Whether he ripped if off or not I still love the lady in the water poster.  This whole thing is probably just a coinsidence and the watery foot prints look way better anyways.

Rohan

• Global Moderator

• nightwriter22
« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2006, 08:02:00 PM »
QUOTE (Dr.Hill42 @ Feb 22 2006, 06:18 PM)
Now WB/Mnight together made an poster of "Shallow Ground" almost similar and released on DVD which may be a low budget independant movie by someone else to actually BOOST "Lady In The Water

I highly doubt that. Thats not the kind of posotive publicity WB would want to have. As for the "No Trailer" theory, that is incentive for a person to see a movie...but I think in the back of a few people's mind there will always be the "Maybe 'cause theres nothing good to show" thought. Although there's no doubt in my mind that "Lady" will show all the same characteristics as hes past movies (cinematography and story) that first inspired me, I'm not entirely sure this one will get as much publicity as The Village or Signs. [/quote]
 Well, I m just confused or may it is coinsidence. Lets See What happens next,,will there be any news about this poster...

-Rohan

afi_village

• LITW

« Reply #9 on: February 25, 2006, 08:26:07 AM »
 i really don't think anyone ripped off anyone else...the idea of footprints on wood seems pretty common and the overall mood and tone of the two posters are very different.  

you would probably (if you could be bothered) be able to find heaps of designs/art works that you could say have ripped this idea off too!

sorry if that made no sense, i should really be asleep now instead of on the computer!
OH MY GOD...i was at a placebo concert last night and i was second row standing right in front of brian...then i got steve's drumstick!  HELL YEAH!!!

Rohan

• Global Moderator

• nightwriter22
« Reply #10 on: February 25, 2006, 04:16:12 PM »
 Shallow Ground poster is actually the "International Poster" and they made it new and in that case it might be like "they stole" it from Lady In The Water" poster...

Only changed it to "BLOOD" and that guy's feet.

-ROhan

Dr.Hill42

• LITW

« Reply #11 on: February 28, 2006, 06:35:20 PM »
 I really don't believe anybody stole anything from anyone. I kinda feel like this one needs to be dropped.

~Dr.Hill42

Rohan

• Global Moderator

• nightwriter22
« Reply #12 on: March 06, 2006, 08:46:54 PM »
 Agree with u..lol..have any idea will there be an teasers in the coming future?

-Rohan

MNightFan430

• The Village

« Reply #13 on: June 02, 2006, 08:54:57 PM »
 I think it's just coincedence.  Like Dark Side of the Rainbow.  Big coincedence!
See...tell him to see...  Tell Merrill to swing away.

Dr Malcolm Crowe

• Global Moderator

« Reply #14 on: June 13, 2007, 01:10:07 PM »
Quote from: "Dr Malcom Crowe"
Did M. Night or WB steal the<span style='font-size:8pt;line-height:100%'> Lady in the Water</span><span style='font-size:14pt;line-height:100%'> poster </span>from another movie?

Someone mentioned this over at IMDb.com
This movie is an independent from 2004.

any thoughts?