Favorite Shots?

Author Topic: Favorite Shots?  (Read 8349 times)

Dr.Hill42

• LITW

• http://www.nate24.blogspot.com
Favorite Shots?
« on: April 20, 2006, 05:53:27 PM »
 The thing that first lured me to Shyamalan's movies was his amazing creativity with camera angles and the other aspects of his cinematography. Of course I fell in love with every other aspect of his movies but I'm still fascinated with his wild imagination (when it comes to the camera). So I was wondering...what do you all think? Do you have any favorite camera angles. I have a tie with many...but I'd like to hear your selections first.

They say this one has a surprise ending.
~Dr.Hill42

Dr Malcolm Crowe

• Global Moderator
  • Futuristic (After Earth)

• http://www.teddyblass.com
Favorite Shots?
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2006, 06:08:59 PM »
 I like the shot of the people hiding in the basement in The Village. The angle from above and the stylized lighting are cool in the shot.

The reflection of Cole in the door-handle in The Sixth Sense is classic.

The baby scene at the begining of Unbreakable is also one my favorites. I like the way he chooses to pan to different people, sometimes in the reflection of the mirror, sometimes not.

There are too many to name, lol. :rolleyes:

Those are some of what I think are cool angles

I think some of his plain shots are also stunning.
For example,
In Signs, there is a shot of the house around dusk. The colors are magnificent! The red leaves on the tree, the yellowish hue, the vibrancy of the sky and trees, it is all so pretty.

Dr.Hill42

• LITW

Favorite Shots?
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2006, 10:38:54 PM »
 I loved the speed at which the camera moved and the direction is was angled in signs when Grahm injects the medicine into his son's leg in the end of Signs. That is one of my favorite. I also love the shot in The Sixth Sense when Cole raises his sword during the play. This shot was re-used very effectively in Signs when Morgan raises the baby monitor on top of the car.

I loved the shot in Unbreakable when David goes to depo and the camera is behind him and Elijah says "Real life doesn't fit into little boxes that were drawn for it." More to come, keep them rolling.

~Dr.Hill42

werebearxxx

• The Happening

• http://myspace.com/werebearxxx
Favorite Shots?
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2006, 01:28:14 PM »
 my fav...was when lucious and ivy were on the porch at night  talking about marriage.

Dr.Hill42

• LITW

Favorite Shots?
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2006, 03:29:41 PM »
 You're right. That was a very nice shot. Just enough light so you can see the glimmer of Ivy's tears.

~Dr.Hill42

Dr Malcolm Crowe

• Global Moderator

Favorite Shots?
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2006, 05:04:57 PM »
 The long shot of David Dunn (Bruce) on the hospital bed in Unbreakble. I like how you see the other 'survivor' slowly start to bleed to death.

afi_village

• LITW

Favorite Shots?
« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2006, 02:45:26 AM »
 the long shot in signs from above the moving car when they are going into town and all the houses and stuff echo the crop circles...that was a 'wow; moment for me...

and then there's like EVERY frame from the village, but i really love the wide shots from in the village of the forest...but i think that's just because i LOVE dead trees.  

AND like the whole scene of when the monsters attack and ivy's waiting for lucious, not so much the suspense bit, but the slow motion bit after...ESPECIALLY when lucious is running down the stairs...i don't know why.

god there is just WAY too many to pick from...i just keep thinking of more!

OH MY GOD...i was at a placebo concert last night and i was second row standing right in front of brian...then i got steve's drumstick!  HELL YEAH!!!

Dr Malcolm Crowe

• Global Moderator

Favorite Shots?
« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2006, 11:49:23 AM »
 The shot of Paul Giamantti's little house in Lady in the Water (trailer). It looks like its from a fairy tale. The lighting on the woods behind it is marvelous too.

MNightFan430

• The Village

Favorite Shots?
« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2006, 09:42:26 PM »
 I am going to put my favorite shot by the movie.

The Sixth Sense:  I love the shot of Cole, before the girls throws up in his tent, putting the blankets of his fort back together and the camera is a long shot from the hall looking into his bedroom and it is tilted to add the effect of something is wrong.

Unbreakable:  Everytime David touches a person and he sees their sins, it's always from an angled, aerial view.  Almost like how God is watching you from above, I see it as Davis has that same point-of-view.

Signs:  I have two favorite shots in Signs.  The first is the aerial view of the town and how it reflects crop circles.  The second is when Merril goes up the stairs to check the house after the invasion and the camera is set at the bottom looking up.  What is so cool about it is how the window at the top of the stairs has a piece of wood covering it, and designs of moons and stars are cut out of it, symbolising the alien invasion.

The Village:  I love it when you see the town after the first creature invasion and the red marks are on all the doors and the camera pans around the town revealing each mark on the doors.
See...tell him to see...  Tell Merrill to swing away.

AnonymousMe

Favorite Shots?
« Reply #9 on: July 19, 2006, 01:49:42 AM »
 There are a lot, but the first shot that came to mind is from The Village. Where Ivy is on the porch, her hand reaching out and you can see the creature approaching, then Lucius grabs her hand and they run inside, slow-motion. Makes me smile every time.

I also love the shot showing the marks on the doors.

By the way, I'm new on this site...and glad to see that people here are nicer than most on IMDB, lol.

okokokok

• LITW

Favorite Shots?
« Reply #10 on: July 29, 2006, 01:24:36 AM »
 Too many.  But there are about 3 shots at the end of LitW that I will mention.  Right after Reggie becomes the gaurdian, there is a camera move in on "The Cove" sign, with lightning and all. By itself, it is what it is. But that shot at that moment, it gives the cove something.  It's own character?  Something.  I feel like I can't explain it. i love it anyways.  And the shots from under the water, of Story being taken by The Great Eatlon and the very last shot, are literally jaw-dropping to me.  It's just crazy because a fairly normal shot can become something amazing in the right juxtaposition and context.  That last shot is so great, but that it is the last shot of the film makes it like this whole other thing for me.  I was stunned when it ended.  Not because of the brevity of it all, but because it was literally right at it's most emotionally climactic point for me.  And then all of a sudden, nothing more needed to be told.  So perfect.  Ok, I'm starting to go off on tangent. sorry.

leelee

• The Sixth Sense

Favorite Shots?
« Reply #11 on: July 30, 2006, 02:39:12 PM »
 The Sixth Sense- since the door knob shot has been mentioned I'll choose another one of my favorites. I love the reflection of Malcom and Anna in Malcom's award. I love how much Night loves shooting reflections (as you'll see most of my pics are reflection shots lol)

Unbreakable- All the opening shots are cool on the train, and I do love the shot of david in the hospital while the other patient dies but my favorite shot has gotta be the one through the curtains in the orange man's "house". it's just so tense...one second it's just David and then...boom! he's there.

Signs- I love the boarding up of the house and how it looks like the camera is being boarded while Graham is telling about the children's births.

The Village- love the shot of the water and the reflection of the "monster" walking along in it.

Lady in the Water- I'd have to agree with ok. Love the shot from the water of Bryce being there one second and taken away the next.

Disastermind

• The Sixth Sense

Favorite Shots?
« Reply #12 on: July 30, 2006, 04:03:18 PM »
 He does have a great talent for finding the perfect camera angle but I don't know, possibly in Signs with the alien in the closet.
ww.freewebs.com/hacproductions

MNightFan430

• The Village

Favorite Shots?
« Reply #13 on: July 30, 2006, 05:38:39 PM »
 For "Lady in the Water", my favorite shot is when we see from the scrunt's view the people at the party moving out of the way, revealing Story, giving a chance for attack.  I was like, "No, one is watching her!!!"
See...tell him to see...  Tell Merrill to swing away.

Novelie

• Wide Awake

• Email
as a art developer
« Reply #14 on: January 19, 2007, 02:27:28 AM »
Well my favorite in Unbreakable is
when Bruce is going wheres people and touch a girl whos stealling
a man in car hurting a girl; a half of second after seing the kind of 'flash back'
the camera turn violating in a 90 degrees into the face of Bruce with a
speed-advance-slowing effet which follow the score behind with a big Boum sound. This shoot is just so what nice forever.

In the village my favorite one is :
When Ivy's going to the city for the medecine, and Noah is wearing the monster gear. When the Monster'naoh'  howl and then Ivy turn back to ''not see'' the monster , The camera stare at the monster and you cannot see the face its all dark and it stares like 15 second, and then following the score the monster start to run. It just make my heart exploded cause I wouldnt think i could be scare i mean : it was the day in the wood not alot of tree you could see everything the score was low not big strings and the monster was right infrot of the camera ... but it Scared me like hell.... I love Night :)
ww.myspace.com/naomiband