Movies.com Litw Stuff

Author Topic: Movies.com Litw Stuff  (Read 1964 times)

Wags

• The Happening

Movies.com Litw Stuff
« on: July 13, 2006, 02:22:16 AM »
 Just thought I'd share these articles from Jeanne Wolfe's Hollywood:

Freaky Bedtime Stories
How badly did Bryce Dallas Howard want to work again with M. Night Shyamalan after making her big-screen debut in his The Village?
When Shyamalan told Bryce he'd cast her in Lady in the Water, she says she sat down on the floor and burst into tears, and then she got the script and tried to figure out what her character, a Narf from the Blue World, was all about. "I was idiotic enough to go on the Internet and search [for] 'Narf' and 'Blue World' and there was nothing there," she told me. "That's when I realized this was coming totally out of Night's imagination."

In fact, Shyamalan developed the idea for the film while telling a bedtime story to his kids, one that just grew and grew until it became a powerful myth about a nymph-like creature with strange powers who lives beneath a swimming pool and tries to return to her water-world but finds the way blocked by a vicious monster.

To play a water-loving Narf, Bryce had to spend a lot of time doing shower scenes. She admits: "I was damp for quite a bit of the movie. You go to work, spend your day in the water and watch your skin wrinkle. At least I was hydrated. Then I was in a dilemma every single night because I'd go home and think, 'Do I really need to take a shower again?'"  

What Bryce wasn't was covered up. "I was like, 'Wow, the costume budget must be really tight,'" she says. "Basically, all I get to wear is a T-shirt and a towel. But I didn't want to get too obsessed with being exposed and, like, putting on a robe between takes. If I'm inhibited, then you're going to see it in my character."

Paul Giamatti was being directed by Bryce's father, Ron Howard, in Cinderella Man when he was cast to play her protector in Lady in the Water. That meant he'd be carrying Howard's nearly naked daughter out of harm's way in some key scenes. "Ron was kinda like, 'My daughter isn't wearing much clothing, is she?'" Giamatti remembers. "He went, 'Do you make out with her?' I almost got scared that I was going to get my ass kicked by Ron Howard. And believe me, he could kick it."

Can You See What I'm Sayin'?
At least in Hollywood, the new book The Man Who Heard Voices by Michael Bamberger has focused more attention on director M. Night Shyamalan than on his about-to-be-released summer thriller, Lady in the Water. Basically, Bamberger chronicles Shyamalan's traumatic breakup with Disney, where he made all of his previous films, and his surprising decision to take Lady in the Water to Warner Bros.
There's no doubt that those who want to dis the egocentric auteur, who has made a string of hits, such as Sixth Sense, Signs, The Village and Unbreakable, will find plenty of ammunition.

Let the man speak for himself. Here's what Shyamalan told me about the controversy: "I didn't actually have anything to do with the writing of the book," he insists. "A writer from Sports Illustrated approached me ? he wrote me a beautiful letter ? and asked if he could follow me while I made Lady in the Water. Neither of us knew at the time that I'd be parting company with Disney."

Shyamalan became upset with Disney because they didn't like his script and the huge part he'd written in the movie for himself. But whether you see him as a petulant, obsessive filmmaker or a committed artist, he wants you to understand what's driving him. "What I want is to see faith in people's eyes," he says, "and I'm hurt when it's not there. A film to me is like one of my kids. If you tell me my kid is not up to snuff, you're going to be dealing with a pissed-off parent. I believe in my kid, she's beautiful. And I want to be with people that I can see in their eyes that they think she's beautiful, too. Then I can make my movie."

I'd say any kid, or film, wouldn't mind having that kind of daddy.

MNightFan430

• The Village

Movies.com Litw Stuff
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2006, 12:44:35 AM »
 Interesting...  I can't wait to buy the book!
See...tell him to see...  Tell Merrill to swing away.